Class of 2020 - QB Tyler Van Dyke (CT) Portal from Miami to Wisconsin | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Tyler Van Dyke (CT) Portal from Miami to Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truly surprised at the difficulties in attracting high end QB talent here over the last few cycles. Will be interesting to see what happens for the 2020 and 2021 cycles.

I wonder what is going on with this kid, "Shane Illingworth

He has his main 5, Az, Az St., Co including BC. He was cool on all. I don't know when was the last update, however it must be relatively recent because they have Miami 57% and SU 36%. Its never to late to go after anyone. This kid is #6 Pro style and seems to be undecided. Just inquiring

I'm not surprised. We've been ranked 1 time in 18 years. We've had 4 winning seasons in 18 years. We've put 3 players in the draft in the last 4 years. None going higher than the 7th round, and 1 of those being a punter. One 10-3 season does not erase that. It certainly helps. But we were so far down, that we have to push that boulder up the mountain for quite some time.
Just like it takes time for a team to learn a new system on offense and defense, it takes even longer to change the perception of young players who are getting offers from schools like Miami who has put 22 players in to our 3 in that same time span.

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power of warm weather for a northeast kid too. I went to grad school in California for 2 years and it took me 10 years to come back to Syracuse.

I know we play in a dome 6 times a year on Saturdays but the other 6 days of running around campus and what not is completely different when you are never worrying about weather. Lot of factors in play here when discussing Miami versus Cuse other than just football

Never underestimate the power of warm weather for a northeast kid too. I went to grad school in California for 2 years and it took me 10 years to come back to Syracuse.

I know we play in a dome 6 times a year on Saturdays but the other 6 days of running around campus and what not is completely different when you are never worrying about weather. Lot of factors in play here when discussing Miami versus Cuse other than just football
I was going to say something along these lines.

Syracuse has a great coach and an improving program, but it doesn't have palm trees and beaches. Many more times than people on here want to admit ...choice of school comes down to location, location, location

With all that beautiful weather and palm trees it does make it a bit harder for some of these kids to keep their minds on school work and football practice.

I was going to say something along these lines.

Syracuse has a great coach and an improving program, but it doesn't have palm trees and beaches. Many more times than people on here want to admit ...choice of school comes down to location, location, location
The Simpsons certainly didn't help with their episode last night. They show Otto dancing around a dilapidated downtown, hanging out with a giant lottery ticket, and and a giant pill labeled "Opioids" They did a whole song parody about "Upstate NY" Syracuse, Buffalo, Utica, even Oriskany, and Mohawk Valley Community College make an appearance.
Scroll about halfway down to watch the video.

Where is this article that has him leaning to Miami? Didn't they just get a top kid in a transfer?
They did. If you go to Miami, expect to play under several head coaches. Expect a steady stream of players transferring in and transferring out.

Don’t expect greatness. That era ended a long time ago.

Syracuse has better coaches, a more stable staff, a better scheme for a talented QB and for Van Dyke anyway, it will be a hell of a lot easier for his parents and friends to watch him play in person.

For a QB from Florida, yes, I get it, it might make sense to go to UM over Syracuse. For a QB from the Northeast? It only makes sense if the recruit's top priority is girls in bikinis.

Coker

7–6

3–5

4th Coastal

W MPC Computers

Randy Shannon (ACC) (2007–2010)

Shannon

5–7

2–6

5th Coastal

Shannon

7–6

4–4

3rd Coastal

L Emerald

Shannon

9–4

5–3

3rd Coastal

L Champs Sports

Shannon

7–6

5–3

2nd Coastal

L Sun

Al Golden (ACC) (2011–October 25, 2015)

Golden

6–6

3–5

T-4th Coastal

Self-imposed ban

Golden

7–5

5–3

T-1st Coastal

Self-imposed ban

Golden

9–4

5–3

T-2nd Coastal

L Russell Athletic

Golden

6–7

3–5

T-5th Coastal

LIndependence

Golden (fired 10/25), Larry Scott (Interim)

8–5

5–3

3rd Coastal

L Sun

Mark Richt (ACC) (2016–present)

Richt

9–4

5–3

T-2nd Coastal

W Russell Athletic

Richt

10–3

7–1

1st Coastal

L Orange Bowl

Richt

7-6

4-4

Last edited:
They did. If you go to Miami, expect to play under several head coaches. Expect a steady stream of players transferring in and transferring out.

Don’t expect greatness. That era ended a long time ago.

Syracuse has better coaches, a more stable staff, a better scheme for a talented QB and for Van Dyke anyway, it will be a hell of a lot easier for his parents and friends to watch him play in person.

For a QB from Florida, yes, I get it, it might make sense to go to UM over Syracuse. For a QB from the Northeast? It only makes sense if the recruit's top priority is girls in bikinis.

Coker

7–6

3–5

4th Coastal

W MPC Computers

Randy Shannon (ACC) (2007–2010)

Shannon

5–7

2–6

5th Coastal

Shannon

7–6

4–4

3rd Coastal

L Emerald

Shannon

9–4

5–3

3rd Coastal

L Champs Sports

Shannon

7–6

5–3

2nd Coastal

L Sun

Al Golden (ACC) (2011–October 25, 2015)

Golden

6–6

3–5

T-4th Coastal

Self-imposed ban

Golden

7–5

5–3

T-1st Coastal

Self-imposed ban

Golden

9–4

5–3

T-2nd Coastal

L Russell Athletic

Golden

6–7

3–5

T-5th Coastal

LIndependence

Golden (fired 10/25), Larry Scott (Interim)

8–5

5–3

3rd Coastal

L Sun

Mark Richt (ACC) (2016–present)

Richt

9–4

5–3

T-2nd Coastal

W Russell Athletic

Richt

10–3

7–1

1st Coastal

L Orange Bowl

Richt

7-6

4-4

In 15 years of ACC play Miami won 10 games 1 time, and got rid of that coach. It only took us 6, and Dino is still here.

Also could be the thought of early playing time. Miami is a mess and can offer it, whereas we are pretty solid with our starter for the next 2 or 3 years. Or they may be telling the kid that if Dino has another successful year, he's gone. I hope we get him, but I won't lose sleep over it if we don't.

Also could be the thought of early playing time. Miami is a mess and can offer it, whereas we are pretty solid with our starter for the next 2 or 3 years. Or they may be telling the kid that if Dino has another successful year, he's gone. I hope we get him, but I won't lose sleep over it if we don't.
I too hope we get him. And I will lose sleep over it. We are right there for a top recruit.
I guess I'm more emotionally attached to the recruiting process of getting top players for SU.

If we have another 10 win season, There is a better chance of Devito entering the draft than HCDFB leaving.

Last edited:
If we have another 10 win season, There is a better chance of Devito entering the draft then HCDFB leaving.
Dungey just had a 10 win season and didn't get drafted nor signed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.