QB's in Babers system... | Syracusefan.com

QB's in Babers system...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
I've been interested in the "leap" our players are expected to make running Babers (and Briles) system. So I decided to go back and look at year one, after Briles took over Baylor, and Babers took over Bowling Green.

I will do this for RB's and WR's if there is interest for it. And I'll look at three year splits.

Briles was taking over a bit of a trash heap (not entirely dissimilar from our situation recently), and Babers was taking over a team that was already doing well. Here are some of the results.

In 2008, Briles recruited RG III to Baylor, an obvious and immediate difference maker. He also recruited in Kendall Wright, another major difference maker on the outside.

QUARTERBACKS IN THE SYSTEM:

Baylor:

Blake Szymanski was the starter in '07, and still on the team in '08. RG III started for Briles in his first year.

* Szymanski passed for 2800 yards in '07, and went 264-461 for a 57% completion rate. He had 22 TD's and 18 picks.
* RG III passed for 2091 yards in '08. He went 160-267 for a 60% completion rate. He had 15 TD's and 3 picks.
* RG III was injured in '09 and didn't play.

Surprisingly (to me at least) there was less throwing of the ball, but a higher Y/A overall (by more than a yard and a half per attempt). This speaks to those shots downfield that Babers has talked about before.

Bowling Green:

Matt Johnson was the primary signal caller in 2013 for BGSU, under Dave Clawson. He was still at Bowling Green when Babers took over. Babers ended up using James Knapke for the majority of the year, after Johnson went down with a season ending hip injury in the first game, As an aside, Johnson came back for his senior year and put up some amazing stats himself.

* In 2013, Johnson passed for 3500 yards on 237-369 for a 64% completion rate. He had 25 TDs and 7 picks.
* In 2014, Knapke passed for 3200 yards on 280-483 for a 58% completion rate. He had 15 YDs and 12 picks.
* In 2015, Johnson passed for 5000 yards on 383-569 for a 67% completion rate. He had 46 TDs and 8 picks.

It's interesting that in both instances there were different QB's running the system than the year before. One due to injury, one due to recruiting. In both case, numbers went down a bit, but not as much as you would expect given the fact that those teams were dealing with a freshman and a backup QB.

I don't think this tells much, but it will be interesting to see what Dungey can do if he stays healthy the whole year.

Downside here is we probably fit Baylor's profile in 2007 more than we fit BGSU's in 2014. Bowling Green was already solid in their conference when Babers came in, Baylor was a perennial bottom team in he Big 12. Briles certainly had a more daunting rebuilding effort, but I think SU will suffer through some growing pains as well.

I do think without a doubt we will see an uptick in scoring (even in losses). The problem will be, in those losses it will be the 54-32 variety instead of the 28-13 variety. Not sure which one feels better or worse.

Interesting breakdown--thanks.

I wonder how much of the BG dropoff was due to Knapke not being as "good" of a player as Johnson. For comparison, if we'd had Mahoney start all season last year, his numbers would undoubtedly be down from Dungey's because he isn't as good of a player [despite the kid's admirable moxie]. RGIII being a freshman, etc. might have a similar effect as he got acclimated to the speed of the collegiate game.

Will be very interesting to pay attention to--thanks for summarizing / doing the work behind that analysis.

Interesting breakdown--thanks.

I wonder how much of the BG dropoff was due to Knapke not being as "good" of a player as Johnson. For comparison, if we'd had Mahoney start all season last year, his numbers would undoubtedly be down from Dungey's because he isn't as good of a player [despite the kid's admirable moxie]. RGIII being a freshman, etc. might have a similar effect as he got acclimated to the speed of the collegiate game.

Will be very interesting to pay attention to--thanks for summarizing / doing the work behind that analysis.
That's my thinking too. For the QB's, there's no real one for one comparison. It's also interesting to note that Baylor's head coach before Briles was Guy Moriss, an Air Raid disciple of Hal Mumme. So it's not surprising Baylor threw the ball all over the joint under him in 2007.

I'm looking at the receivers right now, will post something new when I have the chance.

Can you add in the Northern Illinois (I think) numbers, the other school Babers HC'd?

Can you add in the Northern Illinois (I think) numbers, the other school Babers HC'd?
If someone can point me to a site that has the detailed year to year information for FCS teams, I'd be happy to.

That's my thinking too. For the QB's, there's no real one for one comparison. I'm looking at the receivers right now, will post something new when I have the chance.
I know you are taking a lot of your own time, but when you complete the WRs RB, perhaps another analysis of the totals would help, too. I suspect from what Babers has indicated, the uptick in YAT helps the ground game, too. My suspicion is that if the passing game improves any, our ground game will show improvement, perhaps great improvement as we have a very good stable of RBs.

This is interesting. Thx ACO. Im in RF's camp here ... with the Dunge/Mahoney comparison. Dunge's not RGIII. But I think he's special. It's not just the high hurdling. It's his throwing arm also. He can flick' the ball (on the run) and it goes like 40 yards. He did it in the spring game for a TD, and a couple times last season. Seeing plays like that gives me hope that we can put up points once HDDB's system gets up and running.

I know you are taking a lot of your own time, but when you complete the WRs RB, perhaps another analysis of the totals would help, too. I suspect from what Babers has indicated, the uptick in YAT helps the ground game, too. My suspicion is that if the passing game improves any, our ground game will show improvement, perhaps great improvement as we have a very good stable of RBs.
Plan on looking at that. Also interested to see how many different receivers/backs his system uses vs. the previous year. Just glancing at it right now, it looks like a lot more.

Yeah, people don't really understand how shockingly different this is going to be.
our schedule will be much harder than BG's that year. That has to be factored in here.

A Clockwork Orange said:
I've been interested in the "leap" our players are expected to make running Babers (and Briles) system. So I decided to go back and look at year one, after Briles took over Baylor, and Babers took over Bowling Green. I will do this for RB's and WR's if there is interest for it. And I'll look at three year splits. Briles was taking over a bit of a trash heap (not entirely dissimilar from our situation recently), and Babers was taking over a team that was already doing well. Here are some of the results. In 2008, Briles recruited RG III to Baylor, an obvious and immediate difference maker. He also recruited in Kendall Wright, another major difference maker on the outside. QUARTERBACKS IN THE SYSTEM: Baylor: Blake Szymanski was the starter in '07, and still on the team in '08. RG III started for Briles in his first year. * Szymanski passed for 2800 yards in '07, and went 264-461 for a 57% completion rate. He had 22 TD's and 18 picks. * RG III passed for 2091 yards in '08. He went 160-267 for a 60% completion rate. He had 15 TD's and 3 picks. * RG III was injured in '09 and didn't play. Surprisingly (to me at least) there was less throwing of the ball, but a higher Y/A overall (by more than a yard and a half per attempt). This speaks to those shots downfield that Babers has talked about before. Bowling Green: Matt Johnson was the primary signal caller in 2013 for BGSU, under Dave Clawson. He was still at Bowling Green when Babers took over. Babers ended up using James Knapke for the majority of the year, after Johnson went down with a season ending hip injury in the first game, As an aside, Johnson came back for his senior year and put up some amazing stats himself. * In 2013, Johnson passed for 3500 yards on 237-369 for a 64% completion rate. He had 25 TDs and 7 picks. * In 2014, Knapke passed for 3200 yards on 280-483 for a 58% completion rate. He had 15 YDs and 12 picks. * In 2015, Johnson passed for 5000 yards on 383-569 for a 67% completion rate. He had 46 TDs and 8 picks. It's interesting that in both instances there were different QB's running the system than the year before. One due to injury, one due to recruiting. In both case, numbers went down a bit, but not as much as you would expect given the fact that those teams were dealing with a freshman and a backup QB. I don't think this tells much, but it will be interesting to see what Dungey can do if he stays healthy the whole year. Downside here is we probably fit Baylor's profile in 2007 more than we fit BGSU's in 2014. Bowling Green was already solid in their conference when Babers came in, Baylor was a perennial bottom team in he Big 12. Briles certainly had a more daunting rebuilding effort, but I think SU will suffer through some growing pains as well. I do think without a doubt we will see an uptick in scoring (even in losses). The problem will be, in those losses it will be the 54-32 variety instead of the 28-13 variety. Not sure which one feels better or worse.

Great write up. Interested in the next installment.

I think the difference between losing 28-13 and 54-32 is that it's an easier road to a comeback when your O is explosive. I'd rather be hoping for a late stop or INT than the probability our anemic offense can put together a late drive.

Eastern Illinois

2011 (pre-Babers) Jimmy Garoppolo: 217/349 20/14 Sophmore Season
2012 - Jimmy Garoppolo: 331-540 3,823 yards 31/15
2013 - Jimmy Garoppolo: 375-568 5,050 yards 53/9 Hoooooolllly shi...

our schedule will be much harder than BG's that year. That has to be factored in here.

I wouldn't suggest we're just going to roll into Death Valley, throw up 600 yards and 45 points.

But overall, this is built to roll against peer teams and compete against the more talented teams.

Keep in mind that BG put up about 700 yards at College Park, 560 against Tennessee, 560 against Memphis, 540 against Purdue. All where they'd have talent gaps (you'd think).

I wouldn't suggest we're just going to roll into Death Valley, throw up 600 yards and 45 points.

But overall, this is built to roll against peer teams and compete against the more talented teams.

Keep in mind that BG put up about 700 yards at College Park, 560 against Tennessee, 560 against Memphis, 540 against Purdue. All where they'd have talent gaps (you'd think).
The concern is ... BG gave up 59 points against UT and 44 against Memphis.

I've been interested in the "leap" our players are expected to make running Babers (and Briles) system. So I decided to go back and look at year one, after Briles took over Baylor, and Babers took over Bowling Green.

I will do this for RB's and WR's if there is interest for it. And I'll look at three year splits.

Briles was taking over a bit of a trash heap (not entirely dissimilar from our situation recently), and Babers was taking over a team that was already doing well. Here are some of the results.

In 2008, Briles recruited RG III to Baylor, an obvious and immediate difference maker. He also recruited in Kendall Wright, another major difference maker on the outside.

QUARTERBACKS IN THE SYSTEM:

Baylor:

Blake Szymanski was the starter in '07, and still on the team in '08. RG III started for Briles in his first year.

* Szymanski passed for 2800 yards in '07, and went 264-461 for a 57% completion rate. He had 22 TD's and 18 picks.
* RG III passed for 2091 yards in '08. He went 160-267 for a 60% completion rate. He had 15 TD's and 3 picks.
* RG III was injured in '09 and didn't play.

Surprisingly (to me at least) there was less throwing of the ball, but a higher Y/A overall (by more than a yard and a half per attempt). This speaks to those shots downfield that Babers has talked about before.

Bowling Green:

Matt Johnson was the primary signal caller in 2013 for BGSU, under Dave Clawson. He was still at Bowling Green when Babers took over. Babers ended up using James Knapke for the majority of the year, after Johnson went down with a season ending hip injury in the first game, As an aside, Johnson came back for his senior year and put up some amazing stats himself.

* In 2013, Johnson passed for 3500 yards on 237-369 for a 64% completion rate. He had 25 TDs and 7 picks.
* In 2014, Knapke passed for 3200 yards on 280-483 for a 58% completion rate. He had 15 YDs and 12 picks.
* In 2015, Johnson passed for 5000 yards on 383-569 for a 67% completion rate. He had 46 TDs and 8 picks.

It's interesting that in both instances there were different QB's running the system than the year before. One due to injury, one due to recruiting. In both case, numbers went down a bit, but not as much as you would expect given the fact that those teams were dealing with a freshman and a backup QB.

I don't think this tells much, but it will be interesting to see what Dungey can do if he stays healthy the whole year.

Downside here is we probably fit Baylor's profile in 2007 more than we fit BGSU's in 2014. Bowling Green was already solid in their conference when Babers came in, Baylor was a perennial bottom team in he Big 12. Briles certainly had a more daunting rebuilding effort, but I think SU will suffer through some growing pains as well.

I do think without a doubt we will see an uptick in scoring (even in losses). The problem will be, in those losses it will be the 54-32 variety instead of the 28-13 variety. Not sure which one feels better or worse.
We have been fans w during this era of one side of the ball or the other being terribly neglected,why should it be any different. Given the choice I would love to see the offense kick ass which IMHO gives our defense a little more leverage on their side of the game. Blitzing,double coverage and so on.

reedny said:
The concern is ... BG gave up 59 points against UT and 44 against Memphis.

I wouldn't say that is mind-blowing. As hard as it is to really grasp what our offense is about to become, it's going to be just as hard to wrap our brains around the defensive realities.

- by playing fast, we're giving teams extra possessions

- teams will be forced to be more aggressive offensively in their game planning (crap, we gotta out score THIS team)

- our defense will be on the field a lot, by design

Our new defense is built similarly to JB's 2-3 zone. He's said it makes sense to play the 2-3 because their is a dearth of shooting on most teams (in addition to a lot of other reasons).

The Tampa 2 is has issues with smart, accurate and consistent passers. There are not a ton of those guys out there.

Plan on looking at that. Also interested to see how many different receivers/backs his system uses vs. the previous year. Just glancing at it right now, it looks like a lot more.
Thanks. This is good and enjoyable...and encouraging, too!

Eastern Illinois

2011 (pre-Babers) Jimmy Garoppolo: 217/349 20/14 Sophmore Season
2012 - Jimmy Garoppolo: 331-540 3,823 yards 31/15
2013 - Jimmy Garoppolo: 375-568 5,050 yards 53/9 Hoooooolllly shi...

'nuff said!

To add to what you've stated, once Babers has been around a while, top recruits that want playing time immediately will be easier to recruit, especially in an explosive offense. Once the talent level increases, we will be competing with the usual suspects (at the top, not the bottom!).

I wouldn't say that is mind-blowing. As hard as it is to really grasp what our offense is about to become, it's going to be just as hard to wrap our brains around the defensive realities.

- by playing fast, we're giving teams extra possessions

- teams will be forced to be more aggressive offensively in their game planning (crap, we gotta out score THIS team)

- our defense will be on the field a lot, by design

It will be an added recruiting tool to tell every kid that he has a chance to see the field with significant playing time, whether he starts or not. Even hot shots need to grab Gatorade or water and a couple minutes of rest. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom