Quade Green | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Quade Green

Coaches have and as many have said... he is a pretty distant 4th on the guard pecking order. I know u like him, u post a ton about him.. but he isn't going to play this year. Set your sights on Sidibe who u were very accurate about. He will be our main center by ACC2 play.

I'm aware of where HW is on the pecking order. I never said HW *would* play. I've said he *should*. This team needs his shooting and ability to get the ball over half court without spazzing under the slightest bit of pressure. Frank has played well in spurts. He's scoring and we need that. HW hasn't been given a fair chance in games. He's clearly behind the others, I get that. He's behind a preseason 2nd Team All-ACC guard, a 5th year senior and a junior whom the head coach has gone out on a limb for, when other coaches would've sent him to Belize (Breaking Bad fans will get that).

And by the way, you have no idea what I've been told by those who should have a darn good idea of our backcourt situation. I'm glad you feel you have the authority to tell me where I should "set my sights." Thanks, dude.

Its JB who loves Gerry. Recruits love Red and Grif

I’ll listen to the recruits won and lost.

And what does red and griff have to do with GMac?

I’ll listen to the recruits won and lost.

And what does red and griff have to do with GMac?
Recruiting comparison. Question, not including JB how do you rank our assistant coaches as recruiters. 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

He could've gotten in. JB didn't put him in. Where's igor to say he's being Boeheimed? HW isn't QG but he's not being given enough of a chance thus far, especially considering what Thorpe has shown.
Thorpe was injured (may still be) and didn’t practice for weeks and is still getting acclimated to our system.

I agree 100%. While you're easing Thorpe in, play HW and see what he can do in games.
Just based on the games already played, the rotation is about 90% set. I think HW is next year.

Probably pissed Gerry off too as it brought unwanted attention to his recruiting resume. So far Moyer is his ace in the hole. Hopefully they can keep him on the staff if they decide to finally pull him off the road.
Moyer, Sidibe and Goodine to come, that I know of.
He got both Brissett and Sidibe. I’d say he’s doing just fine. Yes Autry and Griffin are the big dogs, but GMac will be fine.

Green and Tucker would have made Syracuse better, but I've been thinking about it from the athletes' perspectives. Would they have been better off if they had come to Syracuse? It all depends on how you measure "better off," eg, more exposure, more fun, more winning, better coaching, more playing time. Certainly in the "more playing time" department they would have been better off at Syracuse.
You say that Syracuse would be better off if Quade and Jordan had come to Syracuse instead of where they went. I disagree because not every top 100 recruit reaches their hyped rating. I think that Syracuse dodged two bullets at least in their freshman year. Plus, these players had baggage when we recruited them: Tucker had questionable character (based on alluded to insider comments from his initial visits) and Quade Green from the way that he continued to overly mislead our coaching staff with his intent to play for Syracuse.

It is so easy to believe the hype regarding recruiting high school players. Usually, the newspaper or "informed insiders" post glowing reports on almost every recruit that the Cuse pursue. I appreciate that information but not every recruit matches their high school performance.

I am really glad that Jordan Tucker is at Duke (at least for his freshman year) and that Quade Green is at Kentucky. They would not be doing any better at Syracuse at least this point of their career. The one 2017 recruit that I believe we missed out on is Alex Connell. Notice that he is getting playing time at Duke and Jordan Tucker is not.

Just based on the games already played, the rotation is about 90% set. I think HW is next year.

Unfortunately, you're likely right. I think one trend is that Dolezaj might steal a good chunk of playing time from Moyer but it looks like JB will play the 8 guys who played against Iona. :mad: <--- That is my reaction but it could easily be used to illustrate the reaction of HW and his family. They expected him to play this year and this won't sit well with them.

Unfortunately, you're likely right. I think one trend is that Dolezaj might steal a good chunk of playing time from Moyer but it looks like JB will play the 8 guys who played against Iona. :mad: <--- That is my reaction but it could easily be used to illustrate the reaction of HW and his family. They expected him to play this year and this won't sit well with them.
This is worrisome. If my memory serves correct, HW didn't have very many other major P5 offers (VaTech maybe?) and we were his "dream school". I'd be surprised if JB promised HW siginifacnt minutes with Battle and Howard here - but maybe he was told he'd be the 3rd guard. But I don't think any of us expected HW to come in and have a major role, even without Thorpe around. I'm sure a lot of us could see Frank and Tyus playing 36 minutes each in ACC play with HW getting 8 minutes if Thorpe wasn't here. I assumed HW/his family saw the same coming in, but maybe not.

Waiters wasn't happy his freshman year - it worked out
MCW wasn't happy his freshman year - it worked out
Cooeny didn't play his freshman year - it worked out

Hopefully HW can just look back the past few years and see that it isn't often JB throws freshman guards into big time roles. It even took some time with Tyus last year. Next year, HW will clearly be the 1st guard off the bench assuming Battle declares. Then, Frank will leave, Goodine will come in, and I'd say there's a decent shot HW starts here as a junior - which is par for the course for the most part lately for our guards.

Hopefully HW can just look back the past few years and see that it isn't often JB throws freshman guards into big time roles. It even took some time with Tyus last year. Next year, HW will clearly be the 1st guard off the bench assuming Battle declares. Then, Frank will leave, Goodine will come in, and I'd say there's a decent shot HW starts here as a junior - which is par for the course for the most part lately for our guards.

I'm not sure about that. Let's say the starting backcourt is FH and JC, would anyone be surprised if Buddy or Elijah is the first guard off the bench? Unless we regard Elijah as a 3/2, we could have 5 guards. Would HW be ahead of those other 4? Now, it's true that Elijah and Buddy aren't PG's. Washington wouldn't be ahead of a senior FH. We are going to play Carey. Listen to Dean's new podcast and he lays it out.

You say that Syracuse would be better off if Quade and Jordan had come to Syracuse instead of where they went. I disagree because not every top 100 recruit reaches their hyped rating. I think that Syracuse dodged two bullets at least in their freshman year. Plus, these players had baggage when we recruited them: Tucker had questionable character (based on alluded to insider comments from his initial visits) and Quade Green from the way that he continued to overly mislead our coaching staff with his intent to play for Syracuse.

It is so easy to believe the hype regarding recruiting high school players. Usually, the newspaper or "informed insiders" post glowing reports on almost every recruit that the Cuse pursue. I appreciate that information but not every recruit matches their high school performance.

I am really glad that Jordan Tucker is at Duke (at least for his freshman year) and that Quade Green is at Kentucky. They would not be doing any better at Syracuse at least this point of their career. The one 2017 recruit that I believe we missed out on is Alex Connell. Notice that he is getting playing time at Duke and Jordan Tucker is not.

Oh FFS

I’ll never understand this. Wherever you go you need to earn playing time and, in all likelihood, beat people out. For Washington, he chose to go to a program with two veteran guards and a program that had just taken in two grad transfers the year before (meaning that’s clearly a possibility again).

He also committed here in the shadow of quade heading to UK literally last minute and with the knowledge that he probably wasn’t even no. 2 on the recruiting depth chart from the beginning.

To me, it’s cool that he chose to come here but he’s going to have to beat out good players to get minutes. I’m not sure why that comes as such a shock to people. Unless JB promised X minutes and then doesn’t keep his promise, your job is to go out and beat out the guys in front of you.

I understand that we add Thorpe, Hughes, buddy and Carey in the 7 months since he committed but I would argue the only one of those moves that came as a surprise was Hughes, and he doesn’t play HW’s position.

Also, keep in mind, that Iona game might as well have been a Februrary ACC game for this team after the way we played in the scrimmages. We need to make sure we’re winning as many of these games as we can not only b/c we’re young and not overly talented but also b/c we almost played our way out of the tourney before acc play last season. And almost every team shortens it’s rotation in tough, hotly contested games.

Anyway, Just the way of the world imo. Parents getting bent out of shape over that is annoying

I’ll never understand this. Wherever you go you need to earn playing time and, in all likelihood, beat people out. For Washington, he chose to go to a program with two veteran guards and a program that had just taken in two grad transfers the year before (meaning that’s clearly a possibility again).

He also committed here in the shadow of quade heading to UK literally last minute and with the knowledge that he probably wasn’t even no. 2 on the recruiting depth chart from the beginning.

To me, it’s cool that he chose to come here but he’s going to have to beat out good players to get minutes. I’m not sure why that comes as such a shock to people. Unless JB promised X minutes and then doesn’t keep his promise, your job is to go out and beat out the guys in front of you.

I understand that we add Thorpe, Hughes, buddy and Carey in the 7 months since he committed but I would argue the only one of those moves that came as a surprise was Hughes, and he doesn’t play HW’s position.

Also, keep in mind, that Iona game might as well have been a Februrary ACC game for this team after the way we played in the scrimmages. We need to make sure we’re winning as many of these games as we can not only b/c we’re young and not overly talented but also b/c we almost played our way out of the tourney before acc play last season. And almost every team shortens it’s rotation in tough, hotly contested games.

Anyway, Just the way of the world imo. Parents getting bent out of shape over that is annoying
Spot on here. Not to mention...I don’t hate FH as a basketball player, but as a PG, I think HW might be better. But as other leaders have said, we lack scoring, which Frank is probably overall better at, and JB preaches defense, which Frank is also better at! Tough things to overcome for HW. Still really like the small sample size I’ve seen of him and hope he finds a place for this team in the future! Great floor leader!

I'm not sure about that. Let's say the starting backcourt is FH and JC, would anyone be surprised if Buddy or Elijah is the first guard off the bench? Unless we regard Elijah as a 3/2, we could have 5 guards. Would HW be ahead of those other 4? Now, it's true that Elijah and Buddy aren't PG's. Washington wouldn't be ahead of a senior FH. We are going to play Carey. Listen to Dean's new podcast and he lays it out.
JB is already talking about maybe redshirting Buddy, and Elijah might be more of a small forward, depending on how his handle develops in his redshirt transfer year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom