Quade Green | Syracusefan.com

Quade Green

Orangezoo

In the wind
So it is certainly very early but after seeing him play a couple times it is clear he has a ways to go. In many ways I would argue he is maybe a shade better than Howard Washington. The Canadian kid Shai gilgeous-alex. is much more aggressive and was more impressive to me especially last night. Green seemed timid and really unsure of himself. I am sure he will get better but if we had him here, this year likely looks no different in terms of trajectory and ceiling.

He can't check anyone. In addition to his short stature, him being at the top of the zone would be a huge liability because he's easy to blow past.

I get why people wanted him to come here (high ranked player that could have led to other high rated guys committing), but he wasn't a fit. Jonny Flynn was short as well, but he had an unreal amount of athleticism that made up for what he lacked in height.

So it is certainly very early but after seeing him play a couple times it is clear he has a ways to go. In many ways I would argue he is maybe a shade better than Howard Washington. The Canadian kid Shai gilgeous-alex. is much more aggressive and was more impressive to me especially last night. Green seemed timid and really unsure of himself. I am sure he will get better but if we had him here, this year likely looks no different in terms of trajectory and ceiling.
The only reason I’ll ever remember or acknowledge QG’s existence, is because we chose to walk away from a potentially great PG, Isiah “King Jelly” Washington who’s looked very good at Minny, and threw our lot in w/ him, only to be left stranded at the altar.
Washington has a cult-like following in NYC and was dying to come to SU & be the next Pearl. “But, nooooo”... ( in my best Belushi voice), we had to go all out for Green instead.
That will go down as one of the biggest recruiting misses we’ve ever had at SU, IMO. :mad:

Last edited:
The only reason I’ll ever remember or acknowledge QG’s existence, is because we chose to walk away from a potentially great PG, Isiah “King Jelly” Washington, who’s looked very good at Minny, and threw our lot in w/ him, only to be left stranded at the altar.
Washington has a cult-like following in NYC and was dying to come to SU & be the next Pearl. “But, nooooo”... ( in my best Belushi voice), we had to go all out for Green instead.
That will go down as one of the biggest recruiting misses we’ve ever had at SU, IMO. :mad:

Next Pearl is a HUGE reach. HUGE. Washington was no Pearl in NYC. His brand is popular amongst teens. He didn't shut the city down like Pearl did. Washington doesn't have a legendary performance like Pearl did coming up in the city.

Next Pearl is a HUGE reach. HUGE. Washington was no Pearl in NYC. His brand is popular amongst teens. He didn't shut the city down like Pearl did. Washington doesn't have a legendary performance like Pearl did coming up in the city.

was Washington no pearl, or pearl no Washington. I get confused.

Howard Washington couldn't even get in the game against Iona. Green was playing against Kansas. I see no way to make a valid conclusion on the relative ability levels of the 2 players with such a limited sample set.

Well UK plays it's freshmen every
year and it is really just he and the Canadian kid as options at PG vs us having 4 guards who could be flagged as PGs given we seem to prefer only combo guards these days. Of course it is way early to conclude as an absolute. Watching his play vs UVU and Vermont you can see the same things. UK is definitely ranked too high right now. Maybe he grows up fast but so far other than looking for his shot from deep, he hasn't looked anything like a top 20 freshman and has been outplayed by the much lower rated kid.

So while maybe it is unfair to pick Washington as a comparison, I don't think Green is the talent many expected when we made him option a ,b and c.

Ok, fine...but a little hyperbole never hurt anyone. ;)
Seriously though, I’m thinking HE thought he could emulate Pearl as the next great NYC point guard, but we all know they’ll never be another one. Anyway, for SU the street cred alone would’ve been amazing!

Last edited:
The only reason I’ll ever remember or acknowledge QG’s existence, is because we chose to walk away from a potentially great PG, Isiah “King Jelly” Washington who’s looked very good at Minny, and threw our lot in w/ him, only to be left stranded at the altar.
I agree it pisses me off

Howard Washington couldn't even get in the game against Iona. Green was playing against Kansas. I see no way to make a valid conclusion on the relative ability levels of the 2 players with such a limited sample set.

He could've gotten in. JB didn't put him in. Where's igor to say he's being Boeheimed? HW isn't QG but he's not being given enough of a chance thus far, especially considering what Thorpe has shown.

Perhaps a big recruiting miss but there will always only be one Pearl.
The Legend of Pearl

King Jelly is currently a back up point guard averaging 6 points a game. I think now that we have Carey we are better off anyway. I like Carey more than Quade or Washington. I was more worried about our future if we missed Carey. Quade has struggled more than I expected but he is going to get better I think. He is a good player. I think he would look better on a team with some experienced players not a team that is raw and athletic.

He could've gotten in. JB didn't put him in. Where's igor to say he's being Boeheimed? HW isn't QG but he's not being given enough of a chance thus far, especially considering what Thorpe has shown.
I think the thought is we need to get Thorpe up to speed and get the rust off. He looked awful against Iona. He needs to get better and will if he plays. I just don’t think we can have HW out there on defense right now. We are not going to score a lot and have to defend and rebound to be successful

Well, we didn't recruit Rolondo Blackman, based upon Wayne Morgan seeing him play once. We didn't recruit Steve Nash.
Those are probably our biggest misses.

I think the thought is we need to get Thorpe up to speed and get the rust off. He looked awful against Iona. He needs to get better and will if he plays. I just don’t think we can have HW out there on defense right now. We are not going to score a lot and have to defend and rebound to be successful

Do we know HW can't defend? It probably isn't a strength but do we know he's bad at it? We haven't seen enough to know much.

Do we know HW can't defend? It probably isn't a strength but do we know he's bad at it? We haven't seen enough to know much.
I admit the sample size is small but I felt like he really struggled stopping guards from getting by at the top and penetrating the zone. I think that must be an issue the staff are seeing in practice (just a guess). The reality is we have Frank, Tyus and Thorpe who are all 2 guards really so it would be great to have HW in there because he is a kid that can shoot but is a pass first point guard and really the only one we have. I'm not in the "there is no circumstance where he plays during league play" camp necessarily but I just think this year for that to happen Frank probably has to really struggle again and starting having crushing turnovers and defensive lapses. In that scenario I can see us going to him because he has the steady hand. At this point to having any success on offense we need both guards to be able to penetrate and create like the other 3 can.

Im enjoying these threads where the discussion leads us to a point where we are happy someone didn't come here, after the board was calling for Boeheim and Gerry's head when we lost some recruits. Our team this year would be better with Quade Green on it. Period, end of story. Oh and Jordan Tucker too while we are at it.

Im enjoying these threads where the discussion leads us to a point where we are happy someone didn't come here, after the board was calling for Boeheim and Gerry's head when we lost some recruits. Our team this year would be better with Quade Green on it. Period, end of story. Oh and Jordan Tucker too while we are at it.
I agree we would be better with Quade Green. He would be our starting PG and at this moment we don't have one of those. I was only making the point that he has struggled more than I expected out of the gate. I don't think very many people truly believe he would not make us better.

I agree we would be better with Quade Green. He would be our starting PG and at this moment we don't have one of those. I was only making the point that he has struggled more than I expected out of the gate. I don't think very many people truly believe he would not make us better.

Yeah but there's a difference between "He struggled" and "He's a shade better than Howard Washington" no disrespect to him because I think he'll have a good career here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom