Quadir Copeland | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quadir Copeland

I've been the President of the Quadir Copeland fan club since November of his freshman year, but I agree he needs to shoot the leather off the ball to get a shot at the NBA.
He’s got the defense down (or is on the path), but he needs that other component to be a 3 and D guy.

Unless he can shoot >40% from three, he won’t ever be drafted.

Or needs to be able to keep his skillset and add 20 more lbs of muscle to be that point forward who does it all and is everywhere on the court

if he could become deadly from 3, he could be a first rounder, imo
As we’ve seen, age works against players in the first round.
You’re either 19 with an ultra high ceiling or you’ve done something magical as a frosh.
Being 22 with a 3-pointer in the NBA Draft ain’t what it was 25 years ago.

He is key to the team but he needs to understand the simple play counts the same as a play with relish, mustard and whipped cream.
Yeah, that's definitely what he needs to grow, we'll see if he can. I have a feeling he's always going to have at least 1 or 2 of those a game with extended minutes. It's just who he is

He is key to the team but he needs to understand the simple play counts the same as a play with relish, mustard and whipped cream.
....but he likes to leave an impression! Ala "LeRoy was here!"

Unless he can shoot >40% from three, he won’t ever be drafted.
I dont see that at all. He projects as a big guard with handle who passes well and can get to the rim. I think he is exactly the type of exception that can play in the league without being a great shooter. His chances at the next level will depend more on his ability to play defense than shooting a high three point percentage. he will have to shoot it ok, but 40% even in college is quite a high bar to set as a minimum.

Last edited:
I accept that some of Cope's relish, mustard and whipped cream gets spilled/messy-
Because his splash plays energize teammates and excite fans, who create the noise that keeps them rolling.

Athletes that Run, Gun and have some Fun is the elixir for what we've seen for too many seasons.
I'll take a Cope over a semi-athlete 3pt marksman any day: he's exciting and fun to watch.

And as noted: 8 assists, 1 TO- a nice healthy diet of relish, mustard and whipped cream LOL!

copeland feels like 18/19 josh allen, stretches of brilliance but still mostly out of control. if he can make the next step and stay in control he has a high ceiling
He has slowed his speed a bit already and has made strides in that direction. Ergo - more playing time and good stats. And his ability to excite teammates and fans remains the same.

The best league comp for QC is probably GPII. GPIII is a bit more athletic and a better defender, but QC is taller (although I don't think QC is actually 6'6--more like 6'4) .

The fact that GPII had to grind his way through like 6 teams and only really is a useful player on very unique teams (Warriors) tells you about how difficult it is to make it as a light-shooting guard.

Copeland, like as his teammates give up way too many straight line drives to the basket. Niagara drove at will the final five minutes of the game.

Last edited:
I've been the President of the Quadir Copeland fan club since November of his freshman year, but I agree he needs to shoot the leather off the ball to get a shot at the NBA.
If we can get him on that Jon Rothstein and Kaleb Joseph plan even better. Need Quadir to shoot the blood out of the ball instead.

We haven't seen a second platoon the likes of Copeland, Brown, Benny & Cuffe. Take out the 7ft 4 in center, and put in 3 guys who can each do something on the boards, plus a quick small shooter in Cuffe. Among the other things Copeland can contribute, he can get Brown & Williams some finishes -- stirs the drink. It is a refreshing change compared to riding 5 starters and 1.5 subs.

And it does not happen without Copeland.

copeland feels like 18/19 josh allen, stretches of brilliance but still mostly out of control. if he can make the next step and stay in control he has a high ceiling
There is this perception that Cope needs to stay in control. The stats say otherwise, at least compared to his teammates. He has the second highest Assist to TO ratio on the team at 1.4 to Taylor's 1.5.

Problem is, if we are to beat better ACC foes, we will need a couple of guys to step up and have 3 to 1 or better ratios. Looks to me like lots of guys need to improve their control.

11 shots in 24 min.s . second only to judah's 15. are we looking to him for offense or defense ?
A lot of good shots, several he create on his own. This off season, 1000 jump shots a day.

We haven't seen a second platoon the likes of Copeland, Brown, Benny & Cuffe. Take out the 7ft 4 in center, and put in 3 guys who can each do something on the boards, plus a quick small shooter in Cuffe. Among the other things Copeland can contribute, he can get Brown & Williams some finishes -- stirs the drink. It is a refreshing change compared to riding 5 starters and 1.5 subs.

And it does not happen without Copeland.
This says it well. Several times over the last few games I have found myself hoping the second team gets in earlier and earlier and for a longer period of time. And the key to this second team is Q!

Who is the favorite to win a hypothetical game:

Judah, JJ, Bell, Taylor, McLeod

Vs.

Judah, Cuffe, Quadir, Benny, Maliq

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online