Question About How We're Practicing | Syracusefan.com

Question About How We're Practicing

iommi

Living Legend
Okay, we all know our defense sucks this year. We also know that there is not a lot of diversity in our offensive schemes. We also only have 8 scholarship players (I'm counting DC, even though he must be severely limited in practice, and not counting Doyin A-A).

So how have we been practicing and getting better? Are we playing some man-to-man to get ready for how teams are defending us? Also, with so few scholarship guys, are we playing our starters against the two backups and three walk ons? Are we mixing and matching? If we are mixing and matching our starters, doesn't that impact the guys getting used to each other.

I'm wondering how we have been handling this with such a thin roster. Obviously, we have won 5 straight so we must be doing something right. I guess Moyer practicing has helped quite a bit. I assume he has been 100% for a couple months now at the very least.

I know Melo Center access is limited but I wondering how this is working. Just a thought.

with that "thin roster" i would imagine practices are rather limited. maybe 25 minutes twice a week given our depth?

I know Moyer is RS but isnt he practicing? I would think he is pretty much back to full speed by now.

I know Moyer is RS but isnt he practicing? I would think he is pretty much back to full speed by now.

I guess Moyer practicing has helped quite a bit. I assume he has been 100% for a couple months now at the very least.

Is this is a genuine response? We were practicing twice a day for a while earlier this year when we were really struggling.

haha total joke, and funny too

which also begs the question how does he look.

really if he was looking pretty good with our short bench then why RS him at all?

Even now we could have 1/3 of the season left.

Haven't heard any talk about how he looks, is he clueless on D?

He cant be worse on Offense than Roberson does at times? If so they he has a long way to go to help next year. I hope he can at least make FTS.

Is this is a genuine response? We were practicing twice a day for a while earlier this year when we were really struggling.
That was between semesters.

As for the defense, forget M2M. Isn't going to happen. One of the big reasons even if JB lost his mind is we can't afford the fouls and extra steps M2M would bring.

really if he was looking pretty good with our short bench then why RS him at all?

He cant be worse on Offense than Roberson does at times? If so they he has a long way to go to help next year. I hope he can at least make FTS.

Yeah, I'm curious as well. I do agree with the decision to RS Moyer. He responded to a question on twitter about his RS that it is a medical RS. My concern is that he looks really thin. I hope he puts on much needed muscle.

I'm not sure how Moyer will be on defense. In high school, he was not a great defender. Not a shot blocker either. He needs to expand his shooting; he is not a great 3-pt shooter at all. His strength offensively is attacking the basket aggressively and he has good hands in transition for lobs. His handle is decent for a guy 6'8" (maybe 6'8"). His FT shooting is decent but not a strength. He's not especially quick-footed- needs to work his lateral movement.

Moyer has a lot of potential. The kid will be a program guy and help us, the question is: will he be ready next year? We know Moyer is a hard worker and a bright kid. If the staff can't get him physically ready to play for next year, then I have to question what is going on. He should be in the weight room a lot, but looking at him, he doesn't look to be bulking up.

Last edited:
That was between semesters.

As for the defense, forget M2M. Isn't going to happen. One of the big reasons even if JB lost his mind is we can't afford the fouls and extra steps M2M would bring.

No, I wasn't saying we should be practicing M2M in practice to play in games. I'm just wondering if we are playing it to get our team to improve our offense since we face M2M.

How does the offense prepare for other teams' defense? Imagine what M2M looks like? Play against a zone with M2M tendencies?

How does the offense prepare for other teams' defense? Imagine what M2M looks like? Play against a zone with M2M tendencies?

My point exactly. And do we have our starters play against Roberson, Howard, Moyer, DC (if he can), Doyin and a walk on?

Full speed? Moyer was fine in September. He said so himself. Staff decision to redshirt him. Coleman is fine too. He just can't move laterally or jump. Skills you need at the D1 level.

Full speed? Moyer was fine in September. He said so himself. Staff decision to redshirt him. Coleman is fine too. He just can't move laterally or jump. Skills you need at the D1 level.

Yes, but Moyer also said on twitter a day or two ago that it was a medical RS.

Yeah, I'm curious as well. I do agree with the decision to RS Moyer. He responded to a question on twitter about his RS that it is a medical RS. My concern is that he looks really thin. I hope he puts on much needed muscle.

I'm not sure how Moyer will be on defense. In high school, he was not a great defender. Not a shot blocker either. He needs to expand his shooting; he is not a great 3-pt shooter at all. His strength offensively is attacking the basket aggressively and he has good hands in transition for lobs. His handle is decent for a guy 6'8" (maybe 6'8"). His FT shooting is decent but not a strength. He's not especially quick-footed- needs to work his lateral movement.

Moyer has a lot of potential. The kid will be a program guy and help us, the question is: will he be ready next year? We know Moyer is a hard worker and a bright kid. If the staff can't get him physically ready to play for next year, then I have to question what is going on. He should be in the weight room a lot, but looking at him, he doesn't look to be bulking up.

I've watched Moyer workout before games a bunch this year and he may not have been a great shooter before, but it looked pretty good in a practice setting. Again, different from real games, but he was knocking them down out to 20 plus feet during warm ups and he had good form.

I've watched Moyer workout before games a bunch this year and he may not have been a great shooter before, but it looked pretty good in a practice setting. Again, different from real games, but he was knocking them down out to 20 plus feet during warm ups and he had good form.

I defend Moyer every chance I get. Love that kid. I've even defended his shooting. I think if he were on the team, his outside shooting would be okay but not a strength. I'm sure he's working on it, I just hope he's getting stronger and adding some muscle. He was a little soft last year.

Yes, but Moyer also said on twitter a day or two ago that it was a medical RS.
you can apply for a Med. RS just because you miss a certain part of the season. Normally though you dont even apply until its need which is most often year 5, you document it now.. it doesnt mean he couldnt play in a pinch.

It is a medical redshirt for his foot issues. Medical RS doesn't mean he has to be on bed rest for the entire year.

As for his physical size, you seem to have it backwards. He didn't need to bulk up, if you recall when he was playing he was chubby and out of shape. Maybe due to the foot issue, who knows. I don't doubt he needs to add strength but adding weight isn't exactly what I'd want from him.

You are concerned about whether are offense is getting to practice against a good enough brand of man to man defense? It seems to me that the performance of our offense is not what I would be concerned about. The real question is, is our zone defense getting a good enough work out. But I think the reality is that the practices are more about understanding the rotations and the theory behind what they are supposed to be doing and getting on the same page with coach and each other. There are very few teams that have a second string set of players that are capable of truly simulating an in game level of play of a top 25 starting unit.

as i said. 25 games in. 40 minutes a game. i imagine practices are pretty light. no new invention of the wheel here.

Okay, we all know our defense sucks this year. We also know that there is not a lot of diversity in our offensive schemes. We also only have 8 scholarship players (I'm counting DC, even though he must be severely limited in practice, and not counting Doyin A-A).

So how have we been practicing and getting better? Are we playing some man-to-man to get ready for how teams are defending us? Also, with so few scholarship guys, are we playing our starters against the two backups and three walk ons? Are we mixing and matching? If we are mixing and matching our starters, doesn't that impact the guys getting used to each other.

I'm wondering how we have been handling this with such a thin roster. Obviously, we have won 5 straight so we must be doing something right. I guess Moyer practicing has helped quite a bit. I assume he has been 100% for a couple months now at the very least.

I know Melo Center access is limited but I wondering how this is working. Just a thought.

Don't they typically form a practice squad that could consist of walk ons, coaches and any reserves, coached to mimic the upcoming opponent? I know that team won't be at the same level, but those walk ons are there for a reason, DC can certainly still bang bodies in the half court against TT and Lydon to get them ready, Moyer can play a stretch 4 Euro on a practice squad, and Autry Jr and Sr should be able to mimic any backcourt. As you know, in JBs system it is about positioning on the floor either end of the court. He knows what the opponents run, so I would expect practice time to be simulating the opponent using the reserves against the top 6 walking through likely scenarios, with just a few possessions going hard to simulate game speed. I would think the biggest improvements are being made in understanding positioning from these simulation moments on the court and then film study. I wonder if TT laughs at himself for flailing around in the middle of the zone like we have seen him do a few times this year. That has to make quite an impression on the young man. :cool:

So you'd be in favor of him getting thrown into the water in the ACC stretch run and the postseason? And whose minutes would you want him taking right now?

You are concerned about whether are offense is getting to practice against a good enough brand of man to man defense? It seems to me that the performance of our offense is not what I would be concerned about. The real question is, is our zone defense getting a good enough work out. But I think the reality is that the practices are more about understanding the rotations and the theory behind what they are supposed to be doing and getting on the same page with coach and each other. There are very few teams that have a second string set of players that are capable of truly simulating an in game level of play of a top 25 starting unit.

It was less of a concern and more of a question about HOW we do it. Thanks for your response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom