Question about True Detective | Syracusefan.com

Question about True Detective

RF2044

Living Legend
My wife and I started watching Season 3 of True Detective out of the blue, after never watching the series before.

The first episode hooked us -- and the plot has been very engaging thus far through 5 [out of only 8] episodes. Short season, will be interesting to see where the story arc goes over the final three episodes, and if the plot continues to hold up.

My question for those who have seen the first two seasons is -- is it worth going back to watch? I've heard mixed things. Also, are they connected in any way to this season, or is each season a stand-alone, independent story?

Last edited:
I think 1 set a standard that was impossible for anything to live up to. Viewed in that context, people were quick to crap on 2. There were also some legitimate complaints about it lacking the episode-to-episode consistency of the first season, on which the co-creator directed every episode, because they used three or four different directors. And also Vince Vaughn can be tough to take seriously.

But on the whole I thought it was fine. It's shot well, the characters are interesting and well-acted, and the story was ultimately unsatisfying but generally moved along well.

By the way, find some time to watch 1. It was phenomenal.

Season 1 was excellent; certainly worth it.

Season 2 was meh to me mainly because it dealt more with local gov't bureaucrats/corruption rather than rural/small town murder mysteries.

Season 3 returned to that and is almost on par with 1. My only criticism of 3 is that I have to rewind so many of Mahershala Ali's scenes because of his low gravely mumbles.

Looking back on it now, Season 1 was elevated by tremendous acting performances, but the writing wasn’t all that much better than Season 2’s.

Is Season 3 based on the West Memphis murders? I have been purposefully avoiding it for that reason because, to quote Rust Cohle, "I lack the constitution" for that sort of thing.

Is Season 3 based on the West Memphis murders? I have been purposefully avoiding it for that reason because, to quote Rust Cohle, "I lack the constitution" for that sort of thing.

It's based upon an unsolved case involving the kidnapping of two children in Arkansas [with one of them eventually found dead]. The story is interwoven over three time periods -- 1980, when the kidnappings occurred, 1990, and ~2015. Very clever format.

1 >>> 2

I will say that parts of that first half hour of Season 1, Episode 1 were a little slow. I remember thinking what am I watching, and why. McConaughey was making me sleepy.

But when it gets going, that snowball starts traveling down the hill really fast. Finale was all edge of seat.

season has been strong so far. the crime is broken up into pieces and filtered through a mind that's failing.

season 1 was great; definitely go back and watch it. a high water mark even in this golden age of television. mcconaughey & harrelson were both nominated for emmy awards but neither won (probably split the votes)
season 2 was a mess. skip it.
i like season 3 so far. once again, both lead actors are very good

they make a nod to that case but i won't say anything else to avoid spoilers

My wife and I started watching Season 3 of True Detective out of the blue, after never watching the series before.

The first episode hooked us -- and the plot has been very engaging thus far through 5 [out of only 8] episodes. Short season, will be interesting to see where the story arc goes over the final three episodes, and if the plot continues to hold up.

My question for those who have seen the first two seasons is -- is it worth going back to watch? I've heard mixed things. Also, are they connected in any way to this season, or is each season a stand-alone, independent story?
Season 1 by the best show on TV that season.
Woody Harrelson and Mathew McConaughey were awesome. Yes McConaughey actually earned my respect. It was awesome.

Season 2 was garbage till the last episode. I liked Rachel McAdams but Colin Ferrell and Vince Vaughn weren’t great.

Watch season 1.
I am now glad after episode 5 of season 3 we know who the making a murderer documentary is about and my wild speculation without any fact is the lady filming the documentary could be the daughter.

Season 1 was great. Independent of the other two. Season 2 was widely panned, and i didn't even finish it. So convoluted and somehow dull. I've only just seen episode 5 of season 3, but i think 1 will end up being better. There's one episode in season 1 that's pretty incredible, production-wise, and Woody Harrelson took that 'concept' and employed it in a full length feature film called Lost in London, which is a pretty interesting/fun watch on its own.

I re-watched season 1 before the LSU trip in Sept. 2017. I like to read or watch something relevant to where i am traveling (even if my vacations do end up being "PG" rated). Coupling that with the Parts Unknown Cajun Mardi Gras episode last year was really neat. That whole area of Louisiana is really fascinating and utterly unique.

Just to pile on... Season 1 was fantastic. Must watch.

just finished 3 today and liked the finale. so close but so far. life don't always tie you up a neat tidy bow.

just finished 3 today and liked the finale. so close but so far. life don't always tie you up a neat tidy bow.

I'm with you -- I thought that the ending was clever and satisfying.

Spoiler alert below...

I could have done without all of the over-explaining after they tracked down the one-eyed man. Too much info via monologue -- never a fan of that.

But to have Hays figure out about Julie being alive, and then to have his dementia kick in right as he arrives to talk to her was a clever way to keep the mystery "unsolved," while still letting the audience experience that twist.

Felt like it went a little long after that reveal, however. But it was interesting seeing how he reconciled with his wife afterwards.

I'm with you -- I thought that the ending was clever and satisfying.

Spoiler alert below...

I could have done without all of the over-explaining after they tracked down the one-eyed man. Too much info via monologue -- never a fan of that.

But to have Hays figure out about Julie being alive, and then to have his dementia kick in right as he arrives to talk to her was a clever way to keep the mystery "unsolved," while still letting the audience experience that twist.

Felt like it went a little long after that reveal, however. But it was interesting seeing how he reconciled with his wife afterwards.
Only thing I didn’t like was they didn’t explain what happened to Hays wife? How did she die.
I liked the very ending showing he was proposing after drinking at the bar realizing he flushed his career for her out of love.

Only thing I didn’t like was they didn’t explain what happened to Hays wife? How did she die.
I liked the very ending showing he was proposing after drinking at the bar realizing he flushed his career for her out of love.

I was half expecting the wife to show up alive because I couldn't remember any earlier reference to her passing (maybe i missed it). Thought maybe they'd gotten divorced given the tension in 1990 flashbacks.

Still way better than season 2 but I agree with others that it kinda limped home in the finale.