Quick point on our 2024 transfers | Syracusefan.com

Quick point on our 2024 transfers

cuseincincy

All Conference
There still seems to be some trepidation that Carlos, Davis and Taylor didn't come from a high enough level of competition. And that is valid. But maybe this will make you feel a little better...last season Alabama was a #4 seed and made it to the Final 4. Alabama's top 3 scorers last year were transfers from:
  1. Ohio University - MAC
  2. North Dakota St - Summit
  3. St Peters - MAAC
Add that their primary true center was a Wofford transfer and I feel pretty good about our transfers' potential this season. Make it so Red.

There still seems to be some trepidation that Carlos, Davis and Taylor didn't come from a high enough level of competition. And that is valid. But maybe this will make you feel a little better...last season Alabama was a #4 seed and made it to the Final 4. Alabama's top 3 scorers last year were transfers from:
  1. Ohio University - MAC
  3. St Peters - MAAC
Add that their primary true center was a Wofford transfer and I feel pretty good about our transfers' potential this season. Make it so Red.

I don't really care because I think Red is going to land a number of huge players for next year, but you are talking about Sears who is pre-season POY candidate (not for conference, for all of NCAA basketball) and Grant Nelson who is pre-season second team all conference.

None of our guys hit that level, come on. If Jyare is a first-team AA candidate, I'm with you. But he isn't close to that.

Again, let's just make the tourney and look forward to closing out strong for 2025 guys. We aren't in Alabama's universe at the moment.

1. Ohio University - MAC
  3. St Peters - MAAC

Excellent point, good research. I think this is increasingly true, just like we're seeing in football this season.

Another thing I will add: from the way NIL is evolving, I think the player development route has changed. The Top 75 HS kids are still going to be chased after.

However, I think the new reality for 3 stars or un-scouted kids from lesser leagues but who have skills or tools or athleticism or size - they're best advice now is "go somewhere where you are going to get playing time. That's how you improve your game. Put up some stats and get noticed. And you will get more NIL money than you would have coming out of high school."

And then the next step in the pyramid is going from that smaller school, like these guys we're talking about, to a P5 program.

And of course, if they do well at that new stop, then they might still have time for a bigger bag from a blue blood, or state school with deep pockets kind of team.

Kids can now make a decent living in college, especially those who might never make the NBA. This might be the hidden "silver lining" to the chaos of player movement with the portal - more players stay in school for four or five years, leading to more mature players on the best teams, not just diaper dandies. Might improve the quality of the product in the next few years.

I don't really care because I think Red is going to land a number of huge players for next year, but you are talking about Sears who is pre-season POY candidate (not for conference, for all of NCAA basketball) and Grant Nelson who is pre-season second team all conference.

None of our guys hit that level, come on. If Jyare is a first-team AA candidate, I'm with you. But he isn't close to that.

Again, let's just make the tourney and look forward to closing out strong for 2025 guys. We aren't in Alabama's universe at the moment.

Both Delaware and Hofstra have been programs that have had kids transfer out and have a lot of success in the portal era including kids that went on to P4. Guys like Jameer Nelson Jr who went to TCU, Andrew Carr who went from UD to Wake now UK, Aaron Estrada( started at St Peters but developed under Claxton) plus some of Carlos’ teammates from this year. Bama recruited guys they felt could be stars which is different to your point. That said we didn’t pull from the poor pile. We took kids from solid mid major programs that have proven that kids make the transition at their other schools to contribute a great deal.

Taylor is kind of the outlier other than being a P4 player at Wake for a year. Eddie showed he could play some D at TCU. So there are things there with the whole transfer class that make sense in building a team. Building a championship contender? That’s 2025 and beyond to your point unless we strike gold a few times and given we are Syracuse….

1. Ohio University - MAC
  3. St Peters - MAAC
Bama seems like a cherry-picked example. I don’t think any of our transfers were in the top 75 in the portal. I’m expecting good things from them, but this lone comparison, to make us feel good, is kind of irrelevant.

1. Ohio University - MAC
  3. St Peters - MAAC

This is a false equivalence

Sears was first team all MAC
Nelson was first team Summit and arguable POY
Estrada was 2x first team CAA and 2x POY

Our guys…were not on that level to be nice

I know this isn't something that you want to hear but I have heard from more than a few people that have watched this team practice and each one of them came away very impressed. I do know that the players that we got in the portal were selected for certain reasons.

I know this isn't something that you want to hear but I have heard from more than a few people that have watched this team practice and each one of them came away very impressed. I do know that the players that we got in the portal were selected for certain reasons.

As a fan and alum. I would be thrilled if the team is great!

That said your post has nothing to do with my post.

The players we got from transfer portal could be amazing. My point is the were not at an elite level previously as the Alabama players were, not sure how this can be debated. I’m the one trying to LEVEL the expectations

all these posts about these team looking great in preseason will be bumped if see we any posts blaming fans for unreasonable expectations like the football board.

Get the the tourney and I’ll be thrilled

As a fan and alum. I would be thrilled if the team is great!

That said your post has nothing to do with my post.

The players we got from transfer portal could be amazing. My point is the were not at an elite level previously as the Alabama players were, not sure how this can be debated. I’m the one trying to LEVEL the expectations

all these posts about these team looking great in preseason will be bumped if see any posts blaming fans for unreasonable expectations like the football board.

Get the the tourney and I’ll be thrilled
Will posts be bumped if all of the posts that dragged the team down for that last 12 months? You know, the ones we have been forced to read every day about how we aren't going to be any good? I haven't watched the team yet. I don't know. Unlike some, I'm willing to wait and see how the team actually looks before I make the same exact post every day for 12 months.

Will posts be bumped if all of the posts that dragged the team down for that last 12 months? You know, the ones we have been forced to read every day about how we aren't going to be any good? I haven't watched the team yet. I don't know. Unlike some, I'm willing to wait and see how the team actually looks before I make the same exact post every day for 12 months.

You’ll have to talk to those “some” then. I don’t make the same post every day for 12 months.

Btw ”some” of us remember you being a jerk to people who dare suggested the Jimmy Jr team was flawed and going to be a disaster. We could bump those as well.

Just let people have differing opinions. No one is forcing you to read every post. I still like this team, I dont think equating them to Alabama does anyone favors

You’ll have to talk to those “some” then. I don’t make the same post every day for 12 months.

Btw ”some” of us remember you being a jerk to people who dare suggested the Jimmy Jr team was flawed and going to be a disaster. We could bump those as well.

Just let people have differing opinions. I still like this team, I dont think equating them to Alabama does anyone favors
Actually you have. Every time someone dares say anything positive about the team. And I was a lot more positive about that team than I should have been. Got me there. Good one. Might have been better if our center hadn't got hurt. I should have seen that coming. I'm sure you did. I will tell you this, I have strongly considered blocking you simply because it is the same exact post almost every day. I welcome your opinion. The first few times.

Actually you have. Every time someone dares but anything positive about the team. And I was a lot more positive about that team than I should have been. Got me there. Good one. Might have been better if our center hadn't got hurt. I should have seen that coming. I'm sure you did. I will tell you this, I have strongly considered blocking you simply because it is the same exact post almost every day. I welcome your opinion. The first few times.

Please block me as you’ve literally threatened at least 3 times already. I’ll block you as well

Actually you have. Every time someone dares say anything positive about the team. And I was a lot more positive about that team than I should have been. Got me there. Good one. Might have been better if our center hadn't got hurt. I should have seen that coming. I'm sure you did. I will tell you this, I have strongly considered blocking you simply because it is the same exact post almost every day. I welcome your opinion. The first few times.
Why wait? I blocked him a long time ago and have not looked back or missed the apparently continually repeated every post gripe(s).

Any insights on to the influence Engelstad has had on the team and if there is an overlap to those opinions?

Why wait? I blocked him a long time ago and have not looked back or missed the apparently continually repeated every post gripe(s).
LOL Well, it's not that he is offensive. Or vulgar. And he is very much entitled to his opinion. It's just as you have said, it is always negative. He might end up being correct but for me anyway, it just reached a point where that negativity got old.

LOL Well, it's not that he is offensive. Or vulgar. And he is very much entitled to his opinion. It's just as you have said, it is always negative. He might end up being correct but for me anyway, it just reached a point where that negativity got old.
Agree. He can think what he wants to think but the constant one note song gets old

A bit disingenuous, no?

Davis: CAA ROY, All-CAA Rookie Team, All-CAA Third Team, All-CAA Second Team

Carlos: CAA All-Defensive Team x2

Lampkin: averaged 14 / 7 / 2 in 5 career NCAAT games, and averaged 11 / 7 / 2 last year in P5.

It’s not like our guys were riding the pine playing for the little sisters of the poor.

Please block me as you’ve literally threatened at least 3 times already. I’ll block you as well
Calling BS on that. We all like quality information, even the chicken littles.

I don’t think it’s fair to be optimistic until proven otherwise. However, this team should be better than previous years. If Carlos can penetrate at all, and feed players, we should be fine. Eddie will open up the floor for everyone. We haven’t had a true back to the back center since who? ROC?

A bit disingenuous, no?

Davis: CAA ROY, All-CAA Rookie Team, All-CAA Third Team, All-CAA Second Team

Carlos: CAA All-Defensive Team x2

Lampkin: averaged 14 / 7 / 2 in 5 career NCAAT games, and averaged 11 / 7 / 2 last year in P5.

It’s not like our guys were riding the pine playing for the little sisters of the poor.

Not at all.
I never said they weren’t solid players

My point is if you are expecting Carlos and Davis to be Sears and Nelson, we’re going to be disappointed. That’s all. I think comparing them to a final 4 team with players that were Player of the Year level players on their old team is doing our guys a disservice.

Didn’t include Lampkin because the point of the post was to suggest that guys coming from mid majors/small majors can excel at the the ACC level which IS TRUE. I’m not disputing that.

I don’t think it’s fair to be optimistic until proven otherwise. However, this team should be better than previous years. If Carlos can penetrate at all, and feed players, we should be fine. Eddie will open up the floor for everyone. We haven’t had a true back to the back center since who? ROC?

You said it’s not fair to be optimistic then posted something optimistic :).

There are arguments for optimism and skepticism in any season but most certainly this year as well. It’s a personal choice but hardly the wrong one whichever way you lean.

Didn’t include Lampkin because the point of the post was to suggest that guys coming from mid majors/small majors can excel at the the ACC level which IS TRUE. I’m not disputing that.
At least you did get the only point of my initial post. Not sure why you had to go all "...but ours aren't as good..." but whatever. I just prefer focusing on what could be instead of what can't be. Especially when there is no proof either way yet.

At least you did get the only point of my initial post. Not sure why you had to go all "...but ours aren't as good..." but whatever. I just prefer focusing on what could be instead of what can't be. Especially when there is no proof either way yet.

If I made a post suggesting Freeman could be just as good as Flagg this year. would that be reasonable as well? They are both Freshman, right?

Anyway, truly didn’t mean to disparage your point. I don’t think Bama is a good compare for our expectations. Thats it, I’ll leave it at that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom