Quick postgame thoughts-SU-WF | Syracusefan.com

Quick postgame thoughts-SU-WF

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Nice to see us score some points. Unfortunately, against a team like WF, you can't have a big lull w/o scoring in the middle of the game. Their offense is too good
  • Sam Hartman. I say this with lots of respect. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  • 2 biggest play sequences of the game-1) Shrader getting sacked on 2 consecutive plays to lose 20 yards and take us out of FG range 2) His pick 6. Don't get me wrong, he made a lot of great plays, too. The pick 6 was a result of Bradford whiffing, but he's played too much football to get sacked on those 2 plays and not throw it away.
  • 2 biggest missed calls of the game-The phantom holding call on Vett on a great TD pass by Shrader after escaping the pocket 2) Upholding the TD call when the Wake WR bobbling it until he dropped it.
  • Having said that, another game where penalties just killed us, keeping many WF drives alive when we stopped them. I wonder how many games since Dino's been here that we've actually had the same amount or less penalties than our opponent. The players change, but that unfortunately remains a constant. What was up w/ that Allen penalty on ST towards the end?
  • Wake is so well-coached. Besides the lack of penalties (though the refs missed some holds), the ways their receivers block shows me a lot. You can often tell a well-coached team by how well the skill players block. Alford appears to be our only good blocking receiver.
  • In encouraging news, I'm feeling pretty bullish on a WR corps of Gadsden, Alford, Adams, and Pena going forward. They played very well and caught nearly everything, including some tough catches.
  • Is it just me or does Shrader's passes seem to take a long time to get there? He did have some very accurate passes down the field.
  • Another positive going forward was getting so many young guys like the Cruz boys, Sparrow, Bradford, Ilaoa, Allen some quality reps. Jobity keeps flashing-He's going to be a good one.
  • Isaiah Johnson is a good athlete, but seems to struggle with locating the ball when it's in the air. I have noticed that since the training camp videos.
  • Von Marburg seems to shank one every game. Along with D. Davis, he seems to have regressed (though I'm guessing Davis is hurt).
  • FWIW Pretty sure I saw Bleich on the field after the game.
  • No Hoeh penalties
  • Our Defense seems to be hanging on for dear life. We just can't stop the run against anyone since the 2nd half of the Clemson game. Losing Mikel was the final straw-He is the heartbeat of the Defense, if not the whole team. Hope it's not the last we've seen of him in Orange.
  • Wax was everywhere again. Really hope we get another year of him.
  • The best news going into this week is we're playing BC. They are the worst team in the conference. If there's a team we should beat, it's them.

• Nice to see us score some points. Unfortunately, against a team like WF, you can't have a big lull w/o scoring in the middle of the game. Their offense is too good
  • Sam Hartman. I say this with lots of respect. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  • 2 biggest play sequences of the game-1) Shrader getting sacked on 2 consecutive plays to lose 20 yards and take us out of FG range 2) His pick 6. Don't get me wrong, he made a lot of great plays, too. The pick 6 was a result of Bradford whiffing, but he's played too much football to get sacked on those 2 plays and not throw it away.
  • 2 biggest missed calls of the game-The phantom holding call on Vett on a great TD pass by Shrader after escaping the pocket 2) Upholding the TD call when the Wake WR bobbling it until he dropped it.
  • Having said that, another game where penalties just killed us, keeping many WF drives alive when we stopped them. I wonder how many games since Dino's been here that we've actually had the same amount or less penalties than our opponent. The players change, but that unfortunately remains a constant. What was up w/ that Allen penalty on ST towards the end?
  • Wake is so well-coached. Besides the lack of penalties (though the refs missed some holds), the ways their receivers block shows me a lot. You can often tell a well-coached team by how well the skill players block. Alford appears to be our only good blocking receiver.
  • In encouraging news, I'm feeling pretty bullish on a WR corps of Gadsden, Alford, Adams, and Pena going forward. They played very well and caught nearly everything, including some tough catches.
  • Is it just me or does Shrader's passes seem to take a long time to get there? He did have some very accurate passes down the field.
  • Another positive going forward was getting so many young guys like the Cruz boys, Sparrow, Bradford, Ilaoa, Allen some quality reps. Jobity keeps flashing-He's going to be a good one.
  • Isaiah Johnson is a good athlete, but seems to struggle with locating the ball when it's in the air. I have noticed that since the training camp videos.
  • Von Marburg seems to shank one every game. Along with D. Davis, he seems to have regressed (though I'm guessing Davis is hurt).
  • No Hoeh penalties
  • Our Defense seems to be hanging on for dear life. We just can't stop the run against anyone since the 2nd half of the Clemson game. Losing Mikel was the final straw-He is the heartbeat of the Defense, if not the whole team. Hope it's not the last we've seen of him in Orange.
  • The best news going into this week is we're playing BC. They are the worst team in the conference. If there's a team we should beat, it's them.

Just a note on Hoeh. He only played a few snaps.

• No Hoeh penalties
Good observations...
I watched a replay of the game and that "2 sack sequence"...
Yup, Shrader should know enough NOT to take one much less 2 sacks in that situation.
Also on those sacks Vett got beat to the outside on sack one and inside on sack two.

I can’t blame Shrader for that INT. The pocket collapsed on him so quickly and it was a desperate situation where we needed to make something happen … and on the two consecutive sacks he was in the tackle box both times I believe. Good chance that would have been a penalty throwing it away there and Wale was up in his face so quickly he might have thrown an INT if he reacted as he did later in the game under pressure. It just sucked.

Agreed on Wake Forest coaching - didn’t pick up on them making a lot of obvious mistakes out there. Talk about consistently good!

• No Hoeh penalties

The biggest issue, especially once MJ went down, was that it was inevitable that WF was going to keep scoring and we were going to need to keep up.

Thought we came out with the right amount of chutzpah to work to keep getting points, but we just can't sustain it and the defense is so beaten up that we're a skeleton crew at this point.

Beat BC, I'll take the 7 regular season wins and whatever cold bowl they send us to. Glad the guys on this team get to go to a bowl. That 6-0 start was a heck of a ride.

My hope next year is just to get back to a bowl.

Is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom