Quick Postgame thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Quick Postgame thoughts

I going to risk my sterling reputation by saying that every time JG tries to handle the ball it's a disaster waiting to happen. I think he's fine as a catch and shoot guy or two bounces and shoot.

I thought looked terrific. He needs experience but he has all the tools.

Williams showed he can shoot it from the elbow. If that is more than one game, he's going to be a monster.
It looks like we've done a helluva job recruiting. The team just needs seasoning.

Really?? I disagree. As a matter of fact, I couldn't disagree more

To SWC -

1666813402780.jpeg

PG - Copeland, (he was recruited for that)
SG - Mintz, (1 assist in 32 minutes)
SF- Taylor
PF- Williams
C- Edwards

6-6, 6-3, 6-7, 6-10, 7-0.
size great and shooting awful with that unrealistic lineup. quite the overreaction and not even sure how Taylor convinced you he is ready to start based on his game last night.

QC is to active in the board to be anything other than a three now. He might be the best rebounder on the team

I think with how JB sees Joe's role that he will play 1) lots of minutes and 2) have the ball in his hands a lot. So, sure, JGIII should have lots of assists. Whether that leads the team, I don't care. If Mintz is getting more hockey assists and JGIII is getting more assists, all good. If Mintz is leading the team, all good. If we had Scottie Pippen on our team and he played SF, I'd be fine with him having the most assists. He's the SG, but if he has the ball ALL THE TIME, it doesn't matter what his titled position is.

Do I think JGIII should start? Well, until I see evidence that Taylor is the next Klay Thompson, I think starting JGIII is fine. JGIII did enough to improve on the offensive end last year that I think he deserves to start. I can tell you right now that I don't think he deserves to shoot 50% more than the next closest guy in shots per game like Buddy did last year.

I want to be super clear. I like Joe. I think if we had an elite team, I think he'd be an off the bench guard that was instant offense. Where we are now? Sure, I think it's fine that he starts on this team. We need veterans, three point shooting and someone that is well versed in what JB wants. I hope he can be off ball way more. I hope his defense doesn't kill us.

I think he'd crush it if he played 25 - 28 mpg because I think he wears down.

But who cares? You're asking these antiquated questions: Traditional PG = most assists is not the way I look at things.

BTW - I was responding to someone else to make a point that we can disagree about bball and not be overly personal or have it be vitriolic. That's all.

Peace

Pretty clear Benny starts at the 4. He isn't a 3
Thank you. If he can shoot like he did in the exhibition, all season, I think he's going to be huge.

Oh, I am sure I will be spending the entire season telling you all many things you don’t want to hear! :) And maybe some things you do.

Regarding the fire, let’s just say that if any of you love to burn weeds with a blow torch, you may want to re-think it.
what about smoking weed with a bic ? is that safe?

Judah has to be aggressive on offense as does Benny. It took some time and wasn't always pretty but once they got going everything opened up. If Judah specifically isn't aggressive then Jesse gets doubled and Joe is stuck to like glue.

I hear you on Symir but it was when Symir got more aggressive that he made a difference last year. You can have passive lead guards. They have to push things and be willing to make mistakes trying to make plays. We don't need mistake free basketball we need aggressive offensive basketball paired with a more aggressive defense.

Terrific post!

Joe had his best year last year and did well in playing a role that was more buttoned up. Because of that, his efficiency rating was a lot better than in his first two years.

With that said his Box +- last season was 4th out of the starters, and ahead of just Jimmy. Surprisingly, his Defensive +- was 3rd amongst the starters. He beat out Buddy and Jimmy, which isn't altogether that surprising. His +- on defense was .2. Certainly not great, but considered above the average of an average player on an average team.

So his offense +- was where his player usage had an uptick, but his +- was still 5th out of the 5 starters. A good 4th or 5th option, but probably not top dog.

I think where we stand right now, Joe's solid if unspectacular play on the court needs to be weighed equally with his leadership and experience. The young guys will need to lean on his experience in league games this year. His biggest contribution to this team will be providing leadership and mentorship to the young guys. If he can do that and his on-court play doesn't drop off from last year, then he 100% deserves the time he spends on the court.

I also agree that his time spent on the court should be about 30 minutes per game. If Coach Boeheim is truthful in saying they will play 9 or 10 guys (I'll believe it when I see it) then giving Joe fewer minutes should lead to higher efficiency.

• Liked seeing Benny play with some confidence, especially the long-range shot. Hope JB gives him a little space. He was, of course, the 1st guy pulled
  • Quadir looks like he's going to be the emotional leader of the team. Lots of enthusiasm and encouraging others
  • Mintz really turned it on in the 2nd half once he hit a few shots and got some confidence. We were very lucky to get him late in the cycle
  • Was surprised how quiet Girard was until late in the game, but good to see him not forcing too much
  • Taylor looks solid
  • Think Hima played better than JB expected. Will be interesting to see who gets the backup center minutes b/w him, Carey, and Brown. Carey didn't show much, but it's only game#1
  • Nice to see the real Jesse in the 2nd half. Needs to stay out of foul trouble
  • The beginning of the year should be fascinating. Never has the rotation been so open
Benny still Lazy af on defense. Along with the rest of the squad. Just watch their body language off the ball. Hopefully its poor conditioning at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom