Quick Spring Game Observations | Syracusefan.com

Quick Spring Game Observations

anomander

Living Legend
Well not much to report here. I take what we saw today for a grain of salt. But still for those who weren't able to attend live, or weren't able to stream...

- Very small crowd. Probably the smallest in the past 7 or 8 years.

- Very low energy with loud rap music blaring over the speakers.

- Defense dominated. 2nd team D beat up the 1st team O, and the 1st team D dominated the 2nd team O. Then again the offense was more than vanilla and the defense knew where the offense was going so I don't really take much away from that.

- I do like the looks of this defense so it might not be a total fluke. The defense has been able to build up some quality (or at least very experienced) depth. The size in the secondary has dramatically improved. I will be shocked if we don't see significant from that side of the ball.

- Offense was pretty bad, but again I think that had a lot to do with simple play calling and the defense knowing where they were going. Plus we didn't see the tempo we most likely will during the season. Dungey did make some pretty poor throws. Not a good performance from him, but Eric is a gamer, nothing to worry about.

Comments by unit

- OL was pretty bad. Nobody really stood out and they got dominated throughout. Roberts went down about half way thought. Hopefully he is ok. I really hope one of the young guys can beat out McGolster.

- QB - We know what we are going to get from Eric. I would like to see him improve on his decision making. Mahoney was blah. A solid back up, but I liked Culpepper better. He looks to have a better arm, and more tools, but i don't think he has the grasp of the playbook that the Officer does. Hassan is an interesting players. Looks to have the size and the speed. Not sure how he didn't pick up any non P5 offers at the very least? I have no doubt Devito can come in right away and give us just as good a chance to win on anyone on the roster not named Dungey. It will be interesting to see how he does this Summer.

- RB - Stirckland just doesn't have that burst. Neal too small. Perkins is an interesting option. The 1 time he had room to make a play he made a couple guys miss . He's a nice looking, smooth athlete. I really wish we targeted another RB recruit for the 2017 class. As for the 2018 class I would be telling some studs that you can come in and play from day 1. This is easily the least RB talent we have had at the position since I started following the program in the mid 80's.

- WR - This unit should be fine. I think some of the Freshman will have a chance to play meaningful snaps. Butler is a stud. I can see him being the top WR this year. Ishmael will be consistent. He had some nice gains when they threw him the ball. Didn't see much from Custis, but he did smoke the his guy and beat the safety down the sideline by about 7 yards, but Dungey severely under threw it. The group will produce and there is some young talent.

- TE - Pierce is a stud. Dude can fly for someone his size. He will be a major weapon. Going to be interesting to see how he is used. If he can stay healthy we will have a match up advantage in almost every single game.

- DL - Dominated the OL. We have some good young guys and are starting to accumulate some quality depth across the front. If Clark can get cleared this group can be one of the better units on the team. I am very pleased to see how the young guys who needed to develop their bodies have turned into men. Slayton is now 6'4 315 of plain mean. McKinnley Williams is a solid looking athlete. Kenneth Ruff went from a ILB to a legit sized interior defensive lineman. Pickard is now a large large man. The only thing this group isn't going to be able to do is create pressure off the edge. Unless Black or Coleman emerge as a pass rusher we will still lack that part of the game. The DLine held up fine in the scrimmage, but they weren't able to create any pressure off the edge.

- LB - This is just a solid unit overall. This group has 6 guys who I would have no problem seeing start. You already know what you're getting from Franklin and Bennett, but I am most impressed by Armstrong. He gives you the size that Franklin lacks in the middle. JT and Guthrie should have solid years and then Henderson gives you even more depth. Going even deeper then that you have Dada Fagan, who is probably the fastest in the unit, and true Freshman Tyrell Richards who will add even more size to the group. The future is just as bright as the present.

-DB was probably the most impressive group. I really liked the size and speed that has been added here. Even the TD that they gave up, Butler was stride from stride with the offensive Butler, he just got out played by a bigger athlete. When you have guys like Whitner and Ellison who have played significant snaps in their career as basically 3rd stringers then you know the group is improving it's quality. Cordy showed that play making ability we missed last year with a pick 6. If he can be a little more consistent and not give up the big play while trying to make a play himself he could be an all-league players. The kid just has amazing football instincts. If he was 3 inches taller he could be a future pro. I didn't even think Cordy was the best player. I thought that was Evan Foster. The kid flashed to me. He showed off some elite speed to go with above average size. If they can stay healthy Foster and Cordy could become one of the better safety groups in the ACC. It's going to be nice having these 2 for 2 more seasons. Foster, Cordy, Frederick, Butler, R. Williams, M. Williams, Hudson, Dowels, Whitner, Ellison, Jones, Bradshaw. Those are all familiar names with a ton of experience. It gives you the ability to redshirt a solid 2017 class of Coley, Trotter (possibly OLB), and Melifonwu.

Players that popped

- Evan Foster - Great size, speed, and instincts. Should be a 3 year starter. He was the most impressive player I saw today.

- Devin O. Butler - My sleeper pick for the #1 WR and easily the best deep threat. He showed with his TD catch today over a good CB what he is capable of.

- Ravian Pierce - Only had 1 catch that I remember, but he showed elite speed. Kid is a matchup nightmare.

- Chris Frederick - Nice size and showed good coverage skills

Biggest needs for 2018 recruiting class

- DE who can provide speed off the edge. Maybe this could be Kingsley (2017 recruit), but need to target some more.

- RB needs an overhaul. You would think it would be easy to attract some studs with the lure of immediate playing time.

- TE . Pierce is a stud , but need to add some quality depth to the position.

Well at least it was good to see some live Football today. Can't wait for the season!!

i was not there but my son was and gave basically the same report re the ol. last year many of us begged that we recruit the beef guys especially for the ol. people blamed the rb's for poor performance particularly strickland. that was really unfair, as the ol sucked and apparently still does. i was reassured that this year would be different, as we redshirted several ol guys.
i watched part of the game on espn, and was surprised at how bad the offense looked. can anyone hazzard a gues as to why the ol looks even worse than last year??? physically weak??? not trying to start an argument just asking why this is.

- DL - Dominated the OL. We have some good young guys and are starting to accumulate some quality depth across the front. If Clark can get cleared this group can be one of the better units on the team. I am very pleased to see how the young guys who needed to develop their bodies have turned into men. Slayton is now 6'4 315 of plain mean. McKinnley Williams is a solid looking athlete. Kenneth Ruff went from a ILB to a legit sized interior defensive lineman. Pickard is now a large large man. The only thing this group isn't going to be able to do is create pressure off the edge. Unless Black or Coleman emerge as a pass rusher we will still lack that part of the game. The DLine held up fine in the scrimmage, but they weren't able to create any pressure off the edge.
Great write up, thanks for taking the time to lay that out.

Not that I disagree with your ultimate conclusion that pressure off the edge is a question mark for the season, but to be fair, in the scrimmage Coleman had a sack on a speed rush off the edge. It isn't really accurate to say they weren't able to create any pressure.

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to lay that out.

Not that I disagree with your ultimate conclusion that pressure off the edge is a question mark for the season, but to be fair, in the scrimmage Coleman had a sack on a speed rush off the edge. It isn't really accurate to say they weren't able to create any pressure.

I must have missed that one. That's a good sign. Coleman is one of the guys that is actually capable of giving a pass rush off the edge. Will be interesting to see how he continues to develop.

Well not much to report here. I take what we saw today for a grain of salt. But still for those who weren't able to attend live, or weren't able to stream...

- Very small crowd. Probably the smallest in the past 7 or 8 years.

- Very low energy with loud rap music blaring over the speakers.

- Defense dominated. 2nd team D beat up the 1st team O, and the 1st team D dominated the 2nd team O. Then again the offense was more than vanilla and the defense knew where the offense was going so I don't really take much away from that.

- I do like the looks of this defense so it might not be a total fluke. The defense has been able to build up some quality (or at least very experienced) depth. The size in the secondary has dramatically improved. I will be shocked if we don't see significant from that side of the ball.

- Offense was pretty bad, but again I think that had a lot to do with simple play calling and the defense knowing where they were going. Plus we didn't see the tempo we most likely will during the season. Dungey did make some pretty poor throws. Not a good performance from him, but Eric is a gamer, nothing to worry about.

Comments by unit

- OL was pretty bad. Nobody really stood out and they got dominated throughout. Roberts went down about half way thought. Hopefully he is ok. I really hope one of the young guys can beat out McGolster.

- QB - We know what we are going to get from Eric. I would like to see him improve on his decision making. Mahoney was blah. A solid back up, but I liked Culpepper better. He looks to have a better arm, and more tools, but i don't think he has the grasp of the playbook that the Officer does. Hassan is an interesting players. Looks to have the size and the speed. Not sure how he didn't pick up any non P5 offers at the very least? I have no doubt Devito can come in right away and give us just as good a chance to win on anyone on the roster not named Dungey. It will be interesting to see how he does this Summer.

- RB - Stirckland just doesn't have that burst. Neal too small. Perkins is an interesting option. The 1 time he had room to make a play he made a couple guys miss . He's a nice looking, smooth athlete. I really wish we targeted another RB recruit for the 2017 class. As for the 2018 class I would be telling some studs that you can come in and play from day 1. This is easily the least RB talent we have had at the position since I started following the program in the mid 80's.

- WR - This unit should be fine. I think some of the Freshman will have a chance to play meaningful snaps. Butler is a stud. I can see him being the top WR this year. Ishmael will be consistent. He had some nice gains when they threw him the ball. Didn't see much from Custis, but he did smoke the his guy and beat the safety down the sideline by about 7 yards, but Dungey severely under threw it. The group will produce and there is some young talent.

- TE - Pierce is a stud. Dude can fly for someone his size. He will be a major weapon. Going to be interesting to see how he is used. If he can stay healthy we will have a match up advantage in almost every single game.

- LB - This is just a solid unit overall. This group has 6 guys who I would have no problem seeing start. You already know what you're getting from Franklin and Bennett, but I am most impressed by Armstrong. He gives you the size that Franklin lacks in the middle. JT and Guthrie should have solid years and then Henderson gives you even more depth. Going even deeper then that you have Dada Fagan, who is probably the fastest in the unit, and true Freshman Tyrell Richards who will add even more size to the group. The future is just as bright as the present.

-DB was probably the most impressive group. I really liked the size and speed that has been added here. Even the TD that they gave up, Butler was stride from stride with the offensive Butler, he just got out played by a bigger athlete. When you have guys like Whitner and Ellison who have played significant snaps in their career as basically 3rd stringers then you know the group is improving it's quality. Cordy showed that play making ability we missed last year with a pick 6. If he can be a little more consistent and not give up the big play while trying to make a play himself he could be an all-league players. The kid just has amazing football instincts. If he was 3 inches taller he could be a future pro. I didn't even think Cordy was the best player. I thought that was Evan Foster. The kid flashed to me. He showed off some elite speed to go with above average size. If they can stay healthy Foster and Cordy could become one of the better safety groups in the ACC. It's going to be nice having these 2 for 2 more seasons. Foster, Cordy, Frederick, Butler, R. Williams, M. Williams, Hudson, Dowels, Whitner, Ellison, Jones, Bradshaw. Those are all familiar names with a ton of experience. It gives you the ability to redshirt a solid 2017 class of Coley, Trotter (possibly OLB), and Melifonwu.

Players that popped

- Evan Foster - Great size, speed, and instincts. Should be a 3 year starter. He was the most impressive player I saw today.

- Devin O. Butler - My sleeper pick for the #1 WR and easily the best deep threat. He showed with his TD catch today over a good CB what he is capable of.

- Ravian Pierce - Only had 1 catch that I remember, but he showed elite speed. Kid is a matchup nightmare.

- Chris Frederick - Nice size and showed good coverage skills

Biggest needs for 2018 recruiting class

- DE who can provide speed off the edge. Maybe this could be Kingsley (2017 recruit), but need to target some more.

- RB needs an overhaul. You would think it would be easy to attract some studs with the lure of immediate playing time.

- TE . Pierce is a stud , but need to add some quality depth to the position.

Well at least it was good to see some live Football today. Can't wait for the season!!
biggest need is ol

I dont think they ran any plays to even really try to give the offense a chance to succeed.

I couldn't agree more about Foster. He was making plays all over the field.
I think there is playing time available for Johnson and Johnson. Riley and Avant aren't P5 players IMO.
I want to see Pierre grab the starting running back position. Neal might be a good option to move around in different formations. I really don't get Strickland. Sometimes he puts his pads down and smashed people. He gets cute, dances and gets nowhere.

I never take too much from the spring game. I liked the defensive size. Ward might be able to blitz more because the defensive backfield looks better. Only 4.5 months left, let's go Cuse.

Franklin said it was the largest spring game crowd since he's been there (including his recruiting visit).

Thanks for the write up but adding that they played rap music is amusing... and smells of "get off my lawn" attitude...lol
And it wasn't that loud...that said, anomander is spot on with his assessment as always. I'm hoping the OL struggles were due to the D knowing where they were going.

Also, my son did the clinic prior to the scrimmage and it was way more organized than last year. He loved it!! Kudos to the alumni players on their effort.

C-CvBgBWsAE14tH

Our crowd did beat Maryland's.

One thing I don't get. Even acknowledging Babers' paranoia, why does the offense need to be THAT vanilla when there's a full season of video out there on this team for anyone to see?

(And BTW, thanks for the breakdown Anomander.)

Georgia only had 93000 at there game , btw my boy Jake Fromm true freshman out played Eason ... Alabama only had 74,000 and my boy Tua tagliova true freshman out played hurts . The only way to increase attendance is to win and have stars !!!!!
I thought the secondary was very good today , they broke well on balls . BTW I will not comment on any Qb's my boy included . July 30th is first practice seems like an eternity away

I wish we could have flip-flopped last week's scrimmage with this week's. Complete opposites in terms of energy and excitement. Maybe purposely played this way?

Georgia only had 93000 at there game , btw my boy Jake Fromm true freshman out played Eason ... Alabama only had 74,000 and my boy Tua tagliova true freshman out played hurts . The only way to increase attendance is to win and have stars !!!!!
I thought the secondary was very good today , they broke well on balls . BTW I will not comment on any Qb's my boy included . July 30th is first practice seems like an eternity away

Georgia had 66000. Still an fantastic crowd for a practice game, but not 93000

UGA football 2017 G-Day game attendance falls short of 93k

Franklin said it was the largest spring game crowd since he's been there (including his recruiting visit).

Yea, don't think he is accurate on that one. I could be wrong, but today seemed like the smallest since the Marrone era. Not really a big deal either way.

Coleman beat Clark for the sack. Beat him rather easily actually.

I'd like to see Shy get a few reps at RB. He certainly looked fast on that blitz/sack. :)

Thanks for the write up but adding that they played rap music is amusing... and smells of "get off my lawn" attitude...lol
The crowd was extremely quiet. The "music" seemed to suppress any cheering or conversations. But, maybe the kids like it as much as they like the uniforms. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom