Quick Spring Game Observations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quick Spring Game Observations

Coleman beat Clark for the sack. Beat him rather easily actually.

I'd like to see Shy get a few reps at RB. He certainly looked fast on that blitz/sack. :)

Could be worth the shot. Especially since it looks like the LB is pretty stacked up.

The crowd was extremely quiet. The "music" seemed to suppress any cheering or conversations. But, maybe the kids like it as much as they like the uniforms. ;)
Completely agree that the crowd seemed subdued

Georgia only had 93000 at there game , btw my boy Jake Fromm true freshman out played Eason ... Alabama only had 74,000 and my boy Tua tagliova true freshman out played hurts . The only way to increase attendance is to win and have stars !!!!!
I thought the secondary was very good today , they broke well on balls . BTW I will not comment on any Qb's my boy included . July 30th is first practice seems like an eternity away
Believe I saw you there Care Taker. You walked by right as the game got started I assumed to the other side of the field. Hope you enjoyed. Looked like Tommy was having fun.

Shy and Zaire are the best blitzing linebackers. I think Shy needs to play in third down packages.

What does Shy weigh? I realize we are stacked at safety but I'd think with his quickness and power he'd make a great FS.

the crowd was extremely quiet but having it start at 10 am was probably a factor. If they were only going to do an hour, no reason they couldn't have started 30-45 mins later. The bidggest takeaway i took from the practice was our defensive players were in the right positions and not blowing major assignments unlike most of last year. The offense being vanilla helped but there were not many people running open. My guess game being available on espn extra this year played a role in the offense being so vanilla along with erv being out. Last year our offense was mostly throw it to emba deep or erv short while mixing in runs that gained little unless it was dungey and dino probably wants to keep the offense off tv until the actual games start as it will probably be way different come the fall.

i was not there but my son was and gave basically the same report re the ol. last year many of us begged that we recruit the beef guys especially for the ol. people blamed the rb's for poor performance particularly strickland. that was really unfair, as the ol sucked and apparently still does. i was reassured that this year would be different, as we redshirted several ol guys.
i watched part of the game on espn, and was surprised at how bad the offense looked. can anyone hazzard a gues as to why the ol looks even worse than last year??? physically weak??? not trying to start an argument just asking why this is.

They looked worse than at the end of last year but not the beginning. Think of the oline as one player- they have to play together with everyone on the same page to be effective. It sounds like people were cross training over the spring. I would imagine in the fall dino is going to set his lines and stick with them. The continuity will help out w overall play. Both the oline and dline are starting to pass the look test. You want slayton, bear, and Conway getting off the bus first at away games.

They looked worse than at the end of last year but not the beginning. Think of the oline as one player- they have to play together with everyone on the same page to be effective. It sounds like people were cross training over the spring. I would imagine in the fall dino is going to set his lines and stick with them. The continuity will help out w overall play. Both the oline and dline are starting to pass the look test. You want slayton, bear, and Conway getting off the bus first at away games.
good points

the crowd was extremely quiet but having it start at 10 am was probably a factor. If they were only going to do an hour, no reason they couldn't have started 30-45 mins later. The bidggest takeaway i took from the practice was our defensive players were in the right positions and not blowing major assignments unlike most of last year. The offense being vanilla helped but there were not many people running open. My guess game being available on espn extra this year played a role in the offense being so vanilla along with erv being out. Last year our offense was mostly throw it to emba deep or erv short while mixing in runs that gained little unless it was dungey and dino probably wants to keep the offense off tv until the actual games start as it will probably be way different come the fall.

I think last year Dino wanted fans to get excited about the O. He didn't need the same juice from this game. Had a "vanilla, don't get guys hurt" feel.

I think last year Dino wanted fans to get excited about the O. He didn't need the same juice from this game. Had a "vanilla, don't get guys hurt" feel.

especially after erv got hurt on thursday

i was not there but my son was and gave basically the same report re the ol. last year many of us begged that we recruit the beef guys especially for the ol. people blamed the rb's for poor performance particularly strickland. that was really unfair, as the ol sucked and apparently still does. i was reassured that this year would be different, as we redshirted several ol guys.
i watched part of the game on espn, and was surprised at how bad the offense looked. can anyone hazzard a gues as to why the ol looks even worse than last year??? physically weak??? not trying to start an argument just asking why this is.

I have seen some good college offenses look bad on spring games. In my opinion, has alot to do with 2 things. The D has been playing against those looks for weeks, and secondly, the play book wasnt unveiled, very vanilla, favoring the D. Heck, Michigans returning stud qb was like 8 for 26 or something. Goes back to the same ol adage, offense is about trickery no matter what the talent level, and its hard to do that against a defense that practices with you daily.

The crowd was extremely quiet. The "music" seemed to suppress any cheering or conversations. But, maybe the kids like it as much as they like the uniforms. ;)

I like how you put music in quotes. I've been around for a few decades and I'm still undecided whether rap is "music". Not gonna condemn it...I remember the early days of R&R and the flack that it got.

Sounds more like street poetry. Stream of consciousness, Ferlinghetti, Ginsberg.

Oh...and I think Coleman is going to be a serious contributor.

I think Otto could contribute in a pinch. He's definitely bottom of the depth chart, obviously, and will be when Fr arrive too... but I thought he was more than respectable for a W.O.

Who was our last walk-on that started multiple games that earned a spot and kept it. Many other programs have walk-ons that end up as starters and some as stars, but we never seem to have that.

Nassib's brother at Ped State, Clay Matthews at USC, etc

Who was our last walk-on that started multiple games that earned a spot and kept it. Many other programs have walk-ons that end up as starters and some as stars, but we never seem to have that.

Cole Murphy, Cam McPherson, Zack Mahoney, Adam Harris.

That said, Syracuse is never going to pump out under-the-radar walk ons like Kansas State. Too expensive to come here. And Clay Matthews is an exception - he could have played FCS, but decided to walk on at USC.

Cole Murphy, Cam McPherson, Zack Mahoney, Adam Harris.

That said, Syracuse is never going to pump out under-the-radar walk ons like Kansas State. Too expensive to come here. And Clay Matthews is an exception - he could have played FCS, but decided to walk on at USC.
I realize he's not a star but Donnie Foster was originally a walk on and started a few games last year.

Hunter Renfrow, Clemson

It's rare that this happens.

Riley Dixon was also a walk on.

Was wondering why it was taking SOOO LONG for somebody to mention #DixonForHeisman in the pantheon of all-time great SU walk-ons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom