Quick SU-Army thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick SU-Army thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Great win after a nerve-wracking start
  • Fantastic to see the WR's step up after being questioned the previous week
  • Denaburg is a great KO guy, but make me a little nervous w/ FG/Pat's
  • Surprised we kept pushing the run when it was wasn't working for a long time. My main question going forward is the lack of a consistent running game. Don't feel confident we can run for a 1st down in short yardage
  • Thought the pass blocking was very good
  • Shrader stepping it up after struggling a bit in the 1st half
  • I continue to be frustrated w/ Dino leaving him and other crucial starters in after the game is out of the hand. Not sure it has cost us yet, but he keeps playing w/ fire on this front. There's no pros to it, only cons. He added a few more unnecessary hits to his body the last 5 minutes of the game. There was definitely no reason to bring Shrader for that last drive.
  • Not sure what changed in our Run Defense in the second half, but it was great to see.
  • Rocky Long is awesome-Hope we can keep him for a few years
  • Nice to see the real Stonehouse step up
  • We can beat Clemson!

Each opponent has been better than the last - and that will continue next week.

And we've been better than ach opponent by at least two touchdowns - and could have scored more in each game had we wanted to.

And we still haven't peaked.

Each opponent has been better than the last - and that will continue next week.

And we've been better than ach opponent by at least two touchdowns - and could have scored more in each game had we wanted to.

And we still haven't peaked.
Yup last two weeks we could've scored on the final drive, but decided to take a knee.

Why bring In starters to hit the long pass and then NOT take the FG to beat the spread?

We didn't run the ball well last year either. I think part of that was/is system. Against most teams that isn't a concern. But against teams with a decent D, we will struggle on O. VA Tech, Pitt, GA Tech don't give up much through the air. Yet all three struggle to stop the run.

• Surprised we kept pushing the run when it was wasn't working for a long time. My main question going forward is the lack of a consistent running game. Don't feel confident we can run for a 1st down in short yardage
  • I continue to be frustrated w/ Dino leaving him and other crucial starters in after the game is out of the hand. Not sure it has cost us yet, but he keeps playing w/ fire on this front. There's no pros to it, only cons. He added a few more unnecessary hits to his body the last 5 minutes of the game. There was definitely no reason to bring Shrader for that last drive.
  • Not sure what changed in our Run Defense in the second half, but it was great to see.
  • We can beat Clemson!
Ironically in this game I thought he took the first unit out prematurely and then had to put them back in which I don’t think I’ve seen happen very often in any football game. That has to be a pretty rare occurrence.

His management of games in the 4th quarter continues to be a concern in my opinion.

• We can beat Clemson!
Rocky made some serious adjustments after the first quarter wake up call. I was happy to see that.

you wanted us to "run" up the score on a service Academy? They guys that might be fighting and risking their own lives, for our freedom at some point in their lifetime? To beat a point spread?

When the starters came back in and we threw deep near the end zone, I thought maybe Dino had some scratch on the game.

Ironically in this game I thought he took the first unit out prematurely and then had to put them back in which I don’t think I’ve seen happen very often in any football game. That has to be a pretty rare occurrence.

His management of games in the 4th quarter continues to be a concern in my opinion.
Once we got up 29-10, the game was over. Army wasn't getting 3 scores in 5-6 minutes. Send Shrader back to his apartment and get CDRW some reps. I didn't like seeing Wax out there late, either.

Edit: That game was over at 26-10. They barely completed passes all day. That 80 yard bomb at the end it looked like no one cared enough to tackle him or the DB's had money on Army covering the spread.

Last edited:
you wanted us to "run" up the score on a service Academy? They guys that might be fighting and risking their own lives, for our freedom at some point in their lifetime? To beat a point spread?
Is there anything more American than a football point spread? ;)

Once we got up 29-10, the game was over. Army wasn't getting 3 scores in 5-6 minutes. Send Shrader back to his apartment and get CDRW some reps. I didn't like seeing Wax out there late, either.
I don’t know if any of the writers asked him about that? My first thought when Shrader came back out was “um maybe he is afraid of a botched snap/handoff with CDRW in there?” Not that I agree with that thinking but there was nothing else I could think of. Very odd. Then again, Dino is very odd

How everything has to be about gambling to some people is an aspect of sports that I despise. personally

You don’t judge my retirement plan and I won’t judge yours.

At this pace, I’ll work until my 80s, if I live that long.
I don't care if people gamble, because as far as I've noticed, you're genuinely happy when SU wins regardless if we beat the spread

You don’t judge my retirement plan and I won’t judge yours.

At this pace, I’ll work until my 80s, if I live that long.
I'm betting against you

Edit: That game was over at 26-10. They barely completed passes all day. That 80 yard bomb at the end it looked like no one cared enough to tackle him or the DB's had money on Army covering the spread.
It was 2 scores with like 10 minutes left to go in the game. I appreciate not wanting to embarrass a service academy but that’s way too early to be pulling up off the gas. And that basically is what we did.

Then they pull an 80 yarder out of their rear and we trot the first unit back out. Talk about emasculating your second unit.

Think about the perception!!

The running game is a concern Price of course couldn’t nice the game on 3rd and 1 to let us knee it out and there was a drive when the game was still close where Allen couldn’t get 4 yards in 3 Carrie’s on 2nd and 4.

Allen is still a very good ACC back overall and we’ve barely thrown to him I think they wanted to win without opening up the playbook.

The running game is a concern Price of course couldn’t nice the game on 3rd and 1 to let us knee it out and there was a drive when the game was still close where Allen couldn’t get 4 yards in 3 Carrie’s on 2nd and 4.

Allen is still a very good ACC back overall and we’ve barely thrown to him I think they wanted to win without opening up the playbook.
I think running game and stopping the run are the two biggest concerns moving into league play.

Why bring In starters to hit the long pass and then NOT take the FG to beat the spread?
Shame on Dino for not being aware of that situation! :rolleyes:

I think running game and stopping the run are the two biggest concerns moving into league play.
Agree. And I think Army and their triple option might have been a very good warm up for having to stop 2 RBs who should play in the NFL next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom