Quick thoughts on Bingo and a look ahead to Albany | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts on Bingo and a look ahead to Albany

Jeremy may cover the Albany team because this is an excellent writeup. Albany has a lot of firepower, regulars putting up 12 n 13 in just 2q of play in Gate n Princeton scrimmages is quite impressive. Not going to shut down their attack-offense but hopefully be able to reasonably contain . Their D is good but could wear as our depth is greater on both sides. Their lsm Reh likely out or hampered which may impact. Face-offs as mentioned are key. Albany was heavy favorite in offseason discussions but recent talk has tightened off opening game. Im still managing my expectations given sos, only blowout would go to Albany given different team stages so hoping for tight game entering fourth. Important for younger talent not to get flustered nor comfortable with early lead. 60 minutes of hhh needed for this tuff one

I'm with OOT, I don't think Marr is going anywhere ever. Certainly not anytime soon. He's got this program to the point now where he's got major backing from UAlbany and the fanbase.

He can win a NC at UAlbany.

LMAO. Very interested to see him play on Saturday but the hype on him is reaching Lyle Thompson Sr year levels, people need to pump the brakes a bit.

I'm notorious for pumping the brakes but Tehoka is legit. A little raw in areas but he's the real deal and will be the biggest guy on the field. He's a beast.

I'm notorious for pumping the brakes but Tehoka is legit. A little raw in areas but he's the real deal and will be the biggest guy on the field. He's a beast.

Oh I do to, I expect him to do some incredible things this year. That said hes going to be seeing Div 1 defenses for the first time this year and will be the sole target next year with Fields, Reh, and McClancey all lost to graduation.

This is what I posted above in my original post about the potential D matchups for Syracuse.

McClancy who will surely draw Fusco/Helmer. Eccles can be dangerous as a time and room shooter but he isn't much of a dodger. Not sure who there third mid guy will be, might be Patterson as I believe they moved him to middie halfway through last year or it could be the older Burgmaster. There pretty high on Kyle Casey a Frosh from Yorktown but I am not sure hes ready to start especially in this type of game, he will probably be on the second line. Obviously Mellen will draw Fields and Bomberry will shadow Nanticoke. Not sure what strategy Dekso and the staff will come up with regarding slides and how they want to handle the D depending on who is initiating ie Fields vs Nanticoke.

As for your questions Nanticoke will definitely play attack, Albany likes to run its middies 2 ways, and theres zero chance of him doing that. Fusco will almost surely draw McClancey who is Albany's top middie after some graduation losses from last season. Eccles is a good shooter but doesn't really dodge much. I am not sure who the third middie will be but I assume SU will still pole McClancy. Albany starting attack will likely be Fields, Nanticoke and Reh. Cunningham/Dipetro/Kennedy will draw Reh while Mellen and Bomberry get Fields and Nanticoke respectively. Bomberry is very familiar with Nanticoke so that should help at least a little bit, still if Ierlan is winning 75% of the draws its not really going to matter what we do. We will really need Madonna to have a strong game, SU's lack of an elite goalkeeper since Galloway continues to be a problem unfortunately.

As for Albany's D, its good but not great. They have a couple of good senior defenders in Sims and Reh (LSM) and another Senior in Kluck who are all starters. Sims is by far the best of the group and will probably cover Rehfuss if I had to guess. Reh is OK as an LSM but he has been toasted by high end middies (see last years Maryland game) so he can be beat but is a Sr and a decent player. Third close defender is Erik Dluhy. He was an AE all second teamer but is only listed at 5'7 and thats probably generous. Albany has a boatload of other long poles but those are the main 3. Will be intersting to see if they put Kluck on Solomon or get real adventurous and try and double pole the midfield and put a shorty on Bomberry. Again I would characterize Albany's close D as good definitely the strength versus there SSDM. It's at SSDM where Albany really struggles. The last few years SU and Maryland and to a lesser extent Yale have really had success at the midfield against the Danes. Guys like Dearth, Dordevic, Curry, Simmons, Lane etc need to take advantage as I assume they will pole Trimboli but Marr could throw a curveball. I wouldn't be surprised if Desko rotated that second line liberally with other players to try and find a matchup he likes. I expect to see a lot of Lipka. Colarusso is an above average goalie but I certainly wouldn't say he's elite. He played out of his mind last year against SU in the first half but came back down to earth a bit in the second half. He had some really good games for Albany last year but he was also torched by UNC and Maryland late in the year. If SU has enough possessions they can put some pressure on him I think, all about varying shot angles and locations.
thanks...sorry i completely missed the last paragraph of your original write up!

What would have to happen for Dave Pietromala to get fired from Hopkins? Is it turning into a Dom Starsia situation in Bmore?

What would have to happen for Dave Pietromala to get fired from Hopkins? Is it turning into a Dom Starsia situation in Bmore?
Yes it is, but without the off-field problems that Starsia had at the end. When you go to their thread on LP you can see how much they chafe (I'll be nice) at where they are right now as a program. One thing that hit me somewhere at more than "surprised" and less than "totally shocked" was the LP post that stated they haven't had a 1st Team AA attackman in, like, 10 years. They could tolerate Petro's sideline behavior a lot more if they were playing on Memorial Day Weekend more than the twice they've been there (2008 and 2015) since they last won in 2007 (something else which sticks in their craw). There are still scattered mentions on their LP thread about how embarrassed they are that UVa blew them out of their socks in the 2009 QF at Navy. If you go to the Rock's House section of the NDNation board and see how the ND fans talk about not winning football national championships recently, you'll find that's virtually duplicated on JHU's LP thread. "We are the Lacrosse God's Chosen Team, why are we not winning?"

In short competition. Desko has the same issues as Petro IMO.

Multiple reasons actually - Hes an alumni, his salary would probably be north of $750K, and he would have the ability to win a national championship if he could recruit as well at JHU as he is at Albany despite some significant hurdles. As much as he's done at ALbany and he's done a lot they still haven't reached the final hour and hes 1-15 or whatever it is versus Syracuse.
The next coach to make $500k will be the first. I can’t see Hop going to $750k when no current coach is over $400k (maybe one). And I also think that petro has the backing of major donors and influential former players. It would be interesting to see what direction they would go if petro was let go. Would they want another alum or go outside the family? Would another alum want to come in and follow petro? All interesting questions that one day will eventually have to be answered.

The next coach to make $500k will be the first. I can’t see Hop going to $750k when no current coach is over $400k (maybe one). And I also think that petro has the backing of major donors and influential former players. It would be interesting to see what direction they would go if petro was let go. Would they want another alum or go outside the family? Would another alum want to come in and follow petro? All interesting questions that one day will eventually have to be answered.
Is it commonly chatted about amongst Cuse lax alums that Galloway, given a successful stint at Jacksonville, is our heir apparent? Looking out like 10 years I would think... Also, any chance they give it to Lelan when Desko goes for a few years? All that said, and I’d honestly like to see Donahue get it too. Will be a tough decision for JW.

In what world is it okay for Albany to be favored over SU in the dome? (or anywhere else for that matter)

Albany is loaded this year, their #3 ranking is no fluke. They would be favored over just about everyone this year. Lots of Seniors though so they need to capitalize this year.

Is it commonly chatted about amongst Cuse lax alums that Galloway, given a successful stint at Jacksonville, is our heir apparent? Looking out like 10 years I would think... Also, any chance they give it to Lelan when Desko goes for a few years? All that said, and I’d honestly like to see Donahue get it too. Will be a tough decision for JW.

I wouldn’t put words in anyone’s mouth, but I want Galloway as our next head coach. Whether that is next season, or ten years from now (don’t wait that long, he may be too far gone), he is my number one choice and everyone else is way back. And to me it is irrelevant what he does at Jacksonville (short of something super illegal), I want him at the helm. He has that “it” quality, I knew talking with him while he was the volunteer assistant at Duke that he would be a great coach. Just a matter of time.

As for Kevin and Lelan, I think the opportunity to be a D1 HC has past them by now. I could possibly still see Lelan getting a top spot but I am not sure it’s in the cards for Kevin.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom