Quick thoughts on the game | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts on the game

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Overall, I thought we were fairly terrible in the first half. Obviously shooting better in the second half helps even things out. But still. Not a great game from our guys tonight.

- I thought Frank had a decent game. I knew people would whine when he hollered at PC, but he deserved it for being weak. Glad he knocked down some shots and he took it to the rim on his one layup harder than most of the guys on our squad taller than him. His steals were excellent, and he made some nice passes tonight.

- Glad to see Battle find his stroke. I would love to see him just once look for anyone else when he's bottled up. Marek was wide open for a dunk on one drive in the second half, and we got lucky the EMU guy fouled Battle because Tyus took like 18 steps to the hoop.

- Was pleased with Washington in the first half, and really disappointed we didn't see him earlier in the second half. I think he's super calm with the ball which really helps the team. Was way pissed Chukwu did not annihilate the rim on the super sweet pass from Howard W. Dome would have exploded.

- Disappointed with Oshae tonight. Why not take that easy foul shot against the zone? It was there all night.

- Chukwu. If he had shot his normal percentage from the foul line, everyone here would be saying how (EDIT) average at best he was tonight. But he lit it up from the charity stripe, so all is forgiven, I guess. He needs to be so much more, so much stronger. It's absolutely unfathomable to me that he's in his 4th year of college hoops (understanding he didn't get much time his 3rd year). And he was able to secure 12 rebounds so good on him for that.

Last edited:
Overall, I thought we were fairly terrible in the first half. Obviously shooting better in the second half helps even things out. But still. Not a great game from our guys tonight.

- I thought Frank had a decent game. I knew people would whine when he hollered at PC, but he deserved it for being weak. Glad he knocked down some shots and he took it to the rim on his one layup harder than most of the guys on our squad taller than him. His steals were excellent, and he made some nice passes tonight.

- Glad to see Battle find his stroke. I would love to see him just once look for anyone else when he's bottled up. Marek was wide open for a dunk on one drive in the second half, and we got lucky the EMU guy fouled Battle because Tyus took like 18 steps to the hoop.

- Was pleased with Washington in the first half, and really disappointed we didn't see him earlier in the second half. I think he's super calm with the ball which really helps the team. Was way pissed Chukwu did not annihilate the rim on the super sweet pass from Howard W. Dome would have exploded.

- Disappointed with Oshae tonight. Why not take that easy foul shot against the zone? It was there all night.

- Chukwu. If he had shot his normal percentage from the foul line, everyone here would be saying how terrible he was tonight. But he lit it up from the charity stripe, so all is forgiven, I guess. He needs to be so much more, so much stronger, It's absolutely unfathomable to me that he's in his 4th year of college hoops (understanding he didn't get much time his 3rd year).

Chewie had a CAREER BEST GAME, and you're giving him crap? :rolleyes:

Yes, he can/could be even better.
So could: Battle, Moyer, OSB, Frank, et al.

Chewie had a CAREER BEST GAME, and you're giving him crap? :rolleyes:

Yes, he can/could be even better.
So could: Battle, Moyer, OSB, Frank, et al.

Yup. He plays as much as he did, I'd much rather he score from underneath the basket instead of the charity stripe.

I think you're allowing your irritation on a couple plays cloud your judgement on the rest of his game. He didn't shoot his normal percentage on free throws - he shot much better than that so I don't even know where you are going with that point. Sure he needs to be stronger but I'll take this effort from him every time.

I think you're allowing your irritation on a couple plays cloud your judgement on the rest of his game. He didn't shoot his normal percentage on free throws - he shot much better than that so I don't even know where you are going with that point. Sure he needs to be stronger but I'll take this effort from him every time.
I agree. I was very happy with PC tonight. He is getting better.

So, you'd rather count on him shooting like 30% above his average from the foul line than expect him to play to his size? Okay, but I'd rather he dunk the ball like the tallest guy on the floor. I want the guaranteed points, not the hope for ones. And I want him to get around a 6'5" guy holding him back from stopping a guy from dunking in his face.

So, you'd rather count on him shooting like 30% above his average from the foul line than expect him to play to his size? Okay, but I'd rather he dunk the ball like the tallest guy on the floor. I want the guaranteed points, not the hope for ones. And I want him to get around a 6'5" guy holding him back from stopping a guy from dunking in his face.
You are being much too hard on him. It's obvious to me that he is working hard and is getting better. He also isn't the same guy at the foul line as when he started the season going something like 0-18

I agree. I was very happy with PC tonight. He is getting better.

That feed from Washington was one of the prettiest we will see all year. Any of our previous bigs, including BMK (who I was extremely critical of) would have made that an easy 3 point play and lit up the dome.

You're right. He does need to play stronger but I'm not going to say he played a bad game. But that's fine. you're determined to be critical of him tonight and nothing is going to stop you.

That feed from Washington was one of the prettiest we will see all year. Any of our previous bigs, including BMK (who I was extremely critical of) would have made that an easy 3 point play and lit up the dome.
Speaking of Washington, not a very good or smart play trying to save a ball that didn't need to be saved. Was not a surprise to me that we started playing well when he was on the pine.

I thought Chewie/Tyus were players 1A/1B of the game.

Frank and Tyus were letting Jackson get by them (granted he is quick) 3/4 of the game making plays for their bigs but Chewie was cleaning up the mess. They were getting it into the post easy off of ball reversals and/or dribble penetration. Obviously his FTs were big!

I thought Frank was dreadful in the 1H running the offense just playing hot potato with Tyus and refusing to drive. Fortunately they both picked it up considerably in the 2H.

We just can’t have these kinds of first halves anymore moving forward.

You're right. He does need to play stronger but I'm not going to say he played a bad game. But that's fine. you're determined to be critical of him tonight and nothing is going to stop you.

He's our only center. He had a decent game against EMU. Let's be a bit realistic here. He's not a good basketball player.

I thought Chewie/Tyus were players 1A/1B of the game.

Frank and Tyus were letting Jackson get by them (granted he is quick) 3/4 of the game making plays for their bigs but Chewie was cleaning up the mess. They were getting it into the post easy off of ball reversals and/or dribble penetration. Obviously his FTs were big!

I thought Frank was dreadful in the 1H running the offense just playing hot potato with Tyus and refusing to drive. Fortunately they both picked it up considerably in the 2H.

We just can’t have these kinds of first halves anymore moving forward.

Agree about the first half, but Jackson had at least two uncontested layups with Chewy in the middle. Not sure what that says about his defense.

- Chukwu. If he had shot his normal percentage from the foul line, everyone here would be saying how terrible he was tonight. But he lit it up from the charity stripe, so all is forgiven, I guess. He needs to be so much more, so much stronger. It's absolutely unfathomable to me that he's in his 4th year of college hoops (understanding he didn't get much time his 3rd year).
so in your mind, frank was good and chukwu stunk. OK

I think the fact that someone can be annoyed with Chukwu after he had 15, 12, and 5 speaks volumes about how much the kid has improved.

I’ve been annoyed with him many times this year. Hes frustrating at times and still has a long way to go. But he’s way better than he was last year and honestly he’s been better than I thought he’d be this year. He’s been reasonably productive. And still room for a lot more growth.

Agree about the first half, but Jackson had at least two uncontested layups with Chewy in the middle. Not sure what that says about his defense.

I hear you. The performance was VERY good for Chukwu standards but he had some breakdowns and What plays too. It’s worrisome that for a big stretch of the game we really needed his play/production to start to pull away from them. I wouldn’t say Frank or Tyus had really good games and Oshae struggled. Moyer was lost and Marek made some big plays passing as usual with his instincts.

so in your mind, frank was good and chukwu stunk. OK

EMU had 3 blocks tonight. All were on our center. I want more from him, yes. He had 3 made baskets. Frank had 11 points and 7 assists. Would have had about 2-4 more by my count if Pascal would just dunk the ball.

I gave Pascal credit for making his free throws. Did you all miss that part of the post?

I hear you. The performance was VERY good for Chukwu standards but he had some breakdowns and What plays too. It’s worrisome that for a big stretch of the game we really needed his play/production to start to pull away from them. I wouldn’t say Frank or Tyus had really good games and Oshae struggled. Moyer was lost and Marek made some big plays passing.

I really have a hard time saying we pulled away because of PC. We pulled away because Tyus hit 2 3s in a row and kept up the pressure. Everyone was terrible in the first half, but PC and his free throws kept us hanging around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom