Quick thoughts on the game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts on the game

I really have a hard time saying we pulled away because of PC. We pulled away because Tyus hit 2 3s in a row and kept up the pressure. Everyone was terrible in the first half, but PC and his free throws kept us hanging around.

Those two threes were big but Chukwu had some big blocks and plays offensively. Those blocks were usually after the zone was getting shredded by Jackson and/or great passing.

I like Tyus of course but he plays sort of recklessly. His drives seem like 50/50 plays and chances. Sometimes he looks like he gets fouled. Sometimes he looks like he walks. Often he looks out of control and is doing too much, IMO. I think there is just a TON of pressure on him to score for this team. We just have to live with it I guess.

Those two threes were big but Chukwu had some big blocks and plays offensively. Those blocks were usually after the zone was getting shredded by Jackson and/or great passing.

I like Tyus of course but he plays sort of recklessly. His drives sometimes can go 50/50, imo. Sometimes he looks like he gets fouled. Sometimes he looks like he walks. Often he looks out of control and his doing too much, IMO. I think there is just a TON of pressure on him to score for this team. We just have to live with it I guess.

We need so much more from Tyus. I'm shocked that more people aren't jumping on me for criticizing Battle and are all over me for my calling out PC. So be it I guess.

Everyone who watches SU tapes will realize that once Battle decides to drive, he will absolutely never pass the ball. So they can contest him without concern, including bringing another person there. He would be so much more of a complete player if he would recognize when he's got an outlet for an easy bucket.

Agree about the first half, but Jackson had at least two uncontested layups with Chewy in the middle. Not sure what that says about his defense.
It was fairly obvious to me it was better to let those layups go by than pick up a foul. Syracuse is playing with a total of one big man right now. When he is on the bench, we have zero big man. This is going to be a tough season. Get use to it. All I can say is Chukwu is definitely a work in progress, lot better now than when the season started and improving game by game. He is a lot better now than most of us expected this year. Encourage and support his effort rather than pick apart his mistakes.

We need so much more from Tyus. I'm shocked that more people aren't jumping on me for criticizing Battle and are all over me for my calling out PC. So be it I guess.

Everyone who watches SU tapes will realize that once Battle decides to drive, he will absolutely never pass the ball. So they can contest him without concern, including bringing another person there. He would be so much more of a complete player if he would recognize when he's got an outlet for an easy bucket.
you're justified giving it to Battle - he ended up w his typical stat line tonight but he hasn't been very good for a couple of weeks

It was fairly obvious to me it was better to let those layups go by than pick up a foul. Syracuse is playing with a total of one big man right now. When he is on the bench, we have zero big man. This is going to be a tough season. Get use to it. All I can say is Chukwu is definitely a work in progress, lot better now than when the season started and improving game by game. He is a lot better now than most of us expected this year. Encourage and support his effort rather than pick apart his mistakes.

Alright, alright, I give. I'll hope for more and praise what he does. You all are relentless!

But I did love those free throws. Confident!

EMU had 3 blocks tonight. All were on our center. I want more from him, yes. He had 3 made baskets. Frank had 11 points and 7 assists. Would have had about 2-4 more by my count if Pascal would just dunk the ball.

I gave Pascal credit for making his free throws. Did you all miss that part of the post?
aside from quoting me box score stats, are you able to provide any perspective on the play of the players you have named?

"if Pascal would just dunk the ball", ok buddy.

aside from quoting me box score stats, are you able to provide any perspective on the play of the players you have named?

"if Pascal would just dunk the ball", ok buddy.

Did you not read the first post? Dude, put the bottle down.

What exactly are you looking for through those nearly closed eyes?

Alright, alright, I give. I'll hope for more and praise what he does. You all are relentless!

But I did love those free throws. Confident!
I'm in complete agreement w you that he needs to go up stronger to finish and just be stronger in general - but I feel like he's making real progress

This i will agree with you on! Tyus has been fairly one dimensional lately and has been struggling shooting the ball and pretty much never makes a play for someone else once he takes it to the hoop. Has to try and do more (and I don't mean scoring necessarily) to put pressure on the defense and make the game easier on the offensive end for our other guys.

I agree. For PC, that was a very good game. Good in D, excellent on FTs. Whoever taught him to shoot better FTs should get a round of applause. Yes his game and aggressiveness certainly seems to be improving.

I will say, however, that he needs better hands to be able to catch inbounds and then finish. This is a weakness and it needs to improve. Get better at that and we will have a nice force down low.

Did you not read the first post? Dude, put the bottle down.

What exactly are you looking for through those nearly closed eyes?
- Chukwu. If he had shot his normal percentage from the foul line, everyone here would be saying how terrible he was tonight. But he lit it up from the charity stripe, so all is forgiven, I guess. He needs to be so much more, so much stronger. It's absolutely unfathomable to me that he's in his 4th year of college hoops (understanding he didn't get much time his 3rd year).

its actually worse when I reread it. you are basically the elementary coach that wants the short kid to dribble down and throw it to the tall kid for a layup, and that is offense. LOL

someone explain to me the point of having one of our best players...in fact someone who makes almost all of our other players better, sitting on the bench for almost half the 2nd half? weird how the offense took off once he came in. Lets not tie one hand behind our backs in these fist fights.

- Chukwu. If he had shot his normal percentage from the foul line, everyone here would be saying how terrible he was tonight. But he lit it up from the charity stripe, so all is forgiven, I guess. He needs to be so much more, so much stronger. It's absolutely unfathomable to me that he's in his 4th year of college hoops (understanding he didn't get much time his 3rd year).

its actually worse when I reread it. you are basically the elementary coach that wants the short kid to dribble down and throw it to the tall kid for a layup, and that is offense. LOL

No. I want the tallest guy on the floor to be able to handle a basic pass from the PG. And that typically means being able to catch and flush an alley oop that is put into the ideal place for the tall guy alone. Is that not what you'd hope for?

Chewie and Battle saved the day, very ugly on the offensive end in the first half, going to have to shoot it a lot better to beat Tech.

its actually worse when I reread it. you are basically the elementary coach that wants the short kid to dribble down and throw it to the tall kid for a layup, and that is offense.

cuckoo17.jpg

someone explain to me the point of having one of our best players...in fact someone who makes almost all of our other players better, sitting on the bench for almost half the 2nd half? weird how the offense took off once he came in. Lets not tie one hand behind our backs in these fist fights.
I agree

This i will agree with you on! Tyus has been fairly one dimensional lately and has been struggling shooting the ball and pretty much never makes a play for someone else once he takes it to the hoop. Has to try and do more (and I don't mean scoring necessarily) to put pressure on the defense and make the game easier on the offensive end for our other guys.

Yeah, he really doesn’t have those instincts. He can get buckets but he is very one-dimensional. To be fair, his teammates all just ball watch it and nobody cuts on those drives it seems.

That’s the difference between him and a guy like Allonzo Trier. Trier is a much better passer at the 2G.

Yeah, he really doesn’t have those instincts. He can get buckets but he is very one-dimensional. To be fair, his teammates all just ball watch it seems and nobody cuts on those drives it seems.

That’s the difference between him and a guy like Allonzo Trier. Trier is a much better passer at the 2G.
ahhh yes back to the pac10 worship ;);)

ahhh yes back to the pac10 worship ;);)

Haha. I fully acknowledge that the conference and a team like USC has struggled. Arizona too sans Alkins but they will be fine. Trier is obviously a better passer.

Haha. I fully acknowledge that the conference and a team like USC has struggled. Arizona too sans Alkins but they will be fine. Trier is obviously a better passer.
yeah - and AZ st is the real deal
(just gotta bust yer chops, tho!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom