Quick thoughts on the game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts on the game

yeah - and AZ st is the real deal
(just gotta bust yer chops, tho!)

Yeah, offensively they are a real dynamo. Will be interesting to see if lack of size hurts them in a certain tourney matchup. But, they are sort of a new kid on the block. One would think this year if you can score like they can it can be a real asset. Offenses all over (though we are one of the hardest to watch) the country are pretty anemic. I mean they scored like 50 something in the second half @ Kansas didn’t they? That’s nuts.

Alright, alright, I give. I'll hope for more and praise what he does. You all are relentless!

But I did love those free throws. Confident!
7bef891d9e1b52c5e37033848d1329be.jpg

It was fairly obvious to me it was better to let those layups go by than pick up a foul. Syracuse is playing with a total of one big man right now. When he is on the bench, we have zero big man. This is going to be a tough season. Get use to it. All I can say is Chukwu is definitely a work in progress, lot better now than when the season started and improving game by game. He is a lot better now than most of us expected this year. Encourage and support his effort rather than pick apart his mistakes.
I agree and also some of the passes that get thrown to him need to be higher. Anything off the bounce or where his arms go down just isn't going to work. I know it's the guards instincts but PC can't scoop, gatherr and finish yet. Not in his bag of tricks. If you have to throw it to him low don't throw it to him.

I agree and also some of the passes that get thrown to him need to be higher. Anything off the bounce or where his arms go down just isn't going to work. I know it's the guards instincts but PC can't scoop, gatherr and finish yet. Not in his bag of tricks. If you have to throw it to him low don't throw it to him.

I know one of those low passes to PC came from Washington last night on a drive. That was a bad pass. More time playing and he'll figure that out. And Frank got one of his lob passes to PC blocked. He was driving the lane and tried a quick pass and the defender smacked it.

A bounce pass to PC can work, but it has to be a high bounce. Really high.

Was way pissed Chukwu did not annihilate the rim on the super sweet pass from Howard W. Dome would have exploded.
The problem is Chukwu has annihilated several rims this season by slamming dunks off them.

But...not fair to criticize him now after his career game.
So I apologize for the cheap shot...without retracting it.

Dolejak didn't record a single rebound? Is that correct?

And I didn't see until now that PC had 5 offensive boards. Obviously, that's fantastic. Good for him.

Dolejak didn't record a single rebound? Is that correct?

And I didn't see until now that PC had 5 offensive boards. Obviously, that's fantastic. Good for him.

pretty sure he had at least one, they might have missed it. on another he got fouled just as he was about to corral an O board..and on D he had several efforts that resulted in tapped balls to teammates to board

its actually worse when I reread it. you are basically the elementary coach that wants the short kid to dribble down and throw it to the tall kid for a layup, and that is offense. LOL

Surely you're not implying it's supposed to work the other way around? But first, if I may, an anecdote :). I was reffing a tournament game many years ago, and was chatting pregame with the host team's coach, a very good coach with a long record of success beating teams from schools a lot bigger than his. His center was shooting from outside the arc (and missing), and he stops me and says to the kid, "What are you doing? Go warm up near the basket. I've got short guys who can miss from out here." The point is that one of the smartest coaches I know understands how to play and win doing what you're scoffing at.

There are some fundamental concepts of the game at work here: the basket is 10 feet high, so 7 footers are closer to it than 6 footers, so tall players are more valuable closer to the rim than small players; and smaller players are historically better ball handlers because their hands are closer to the floor. It's always been that way and always will be, and we all know why. If you don't, stop reading now and go watch hockey or wrestling.

I can teach players to be ball handlers and to make layups. Consistent long range shooting is more difficult, and that's why it's more rare. So, while it's also true, as you're implying, basic basketball is not the only way to play the game, the big point in all this is that if you can't do the most fundamental things well and often, then you're going to have a lot of trouble doing other things, and thus a lot of trouble winning games. At any level. Just IMHO.

Quick thoughts
  • Syracuse will steal games in ACC play off of their defense alone. However, it is an unsustainable style of play.
  • Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett need to work their way to the basket especially if they are in 1 on 1 situations where they have the distinct athletic advantage. Their shooting percentage the last three games is bordering abysmal because they've fallen in love with the perimeter shot.
  • Paschal Chukwu won last night's game for Syracuse. His best game as an Orangeman on both ends of the floor especially at the free throw line. It is imperative that he can at least replicate that on the defensive end now that is unlikely Bourama plays another game this season.

I thought Chewie/Tyus were players 1A/1B of the game.

Frank and Tyus were letting Jackson get by them (granted he is quick) 3/4 of the game making plays for their bigs but Chewie was cleaning up the mess. They were getting it into the post easy off of ball reversals and/or dribble penetration. Obviously his FTs were big!

I thought Frank was dreadful in the 1H running the offense just playing hot potato with Tyus and refusing to drive. Fortunately they both picked it up considerably in the 2H.

We just can’t have these kinds of first halves anymore moving forward.

Frank had a bad first half but I thought he was excellent in the second half. He is by far the best passer we've had off dribble penetration since MCW. The problem is that sometimes he can't penetrate because he's too sloppy with his handle, and sometimes he doesn't penetrate because he's playing timid. I'd rather have him be aggressive and commit a few turnovers than just stand at the top of the key and pass the around with no effort to probe the defense. Should have had about 11 or 12 assists tonight if PC and Marek had finished better.

I agree. For PC, that was a very good game. Good in D, excellent on FTs. Whoever taught him to shoot better FTs should get a round of applause. Yes his game and aggressiveness certainly seems to be improving.

I will say, however, that he needs better hands to be able to catch inbounds and then finish. This is a weakness and it needs to improve. Get better at that and we will have a nice force down low.

Not as easy as it seems. His height puts him at a big disadvantage. The pass has to be perfect especially the pocket passes.

Not as easy as it seems. His height puts him at a big disadvantage. The pass has to be perfect especially the pocket passes.

Agreed. Bounce passes to him need a little extra mustard to get up to PC's hands. That's totally fair.

Frank had a bad first half but I thought he was excellent in the second half. He is by far the best passer we've had off dribble penetration since MCW. The problem is that sometimes he can't penetrate because he's too sloppy with his handle, and sometimes he doesn't penetrate because he's playing timid. I'd rather have him be aggressive and commit a few turnovers than just stand at the top of the key and pass the around with no effort to probe the defense. Should have had about 11 or 12 assists tonight if PC and Marek had finished better.

For sure. Very good 2H and he’s good passing on the move. He gets JUST enough penetration occasionally to make some good plays. The timid part is an issue because there are stretches of that in every game. I’m glad this was a zone team and not Paul Jackson up in his grill playing M2M. The kid has improved but he makes me very nervous constantly with the rock in his hands. Maybe I’m just too OCD about it.

one last comment on the game, and it has nothing to do with our players. how about that egg on the head of Jackson after he went head to head with his own guy? That was quick... And the headband was just silly afterwards.

You're right. He does need to play stronger but I'm not going to say he played a bad game. But that's fine. you're determined to be critical of him tonight and nothing is going to stop you.

obvious agenda here

And I'll file that under "JB says things."

Tough crowd. Based on past performances I thought it was an accurate statement.

Yes there is work to do but the kid just played his best game in Orange.

Frankly I thought Oshae was the only guy who was off all night. Everyone else had spurts of good and bad.

I remember the one bounce pass that seemed to work well was from Dolezaj to PC. It was a crisp pass with a high bounce. PC did put that in for a basket.

I remember the one bounce pass that seemed to work well was from Dolezaj to PC. It was a crisp pass with a high bounce. PC did put that in for a basket.

I've said this many times before. Big guys seem to understand much better about how to properly feed another big man.

someone explain to me the point of having one of our best players...in fact someone who makes almost all of our other players better, sitting on the bench for almost half the 2nd half? weird how the offense took off once he came in. Lets not tie one hand behind our backs in these fist fights.

HW does look to facilitate when he’s in there. He also was the only guy who ran the baseline short corner on offense. JB can be stubborn

HW does look to facilitate when he’s in there. He also was the only guy who ran the baseline short corner on offense. JB can be stubborn

Frank hit PC a couple times at the foul line. All he had to do was look behind him and he could have had Washington wide open in the corner or streaking to the basket on the baseline. That's just a lack of experience I'm afraid. I'd love to see that play in the future. A 7'+ guy at the foul line dishing out dimes...

Quick thoughts
  • Syracuse will steal games in ACC play off of their defense alone. However, it is an unsustainable style of play.
  • Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett need to work their way to the basket especially if they are in 1 on 1 situations where they have the distinct athletic advantage. Their shooting percentage the last three games is bordering abysmal because they've fallen in love with the perimeter shot.
  • Paschal Chukwu won last night's game for Syracuse. His best game as an Orangeman on both ends of the floor especially at the free throw line. It is imperative that he can at least replicate that on the defensive end now that is unlikely Bourama plays another game this season.
Totally agree. Chukwu is as important for this team to win, especially if Sidibe is out for the season. PC has continued to show signs of steady improvement. Need to keep it up. One question that continues to puzzle me is why Syracuse keeps passing the ball back and forth on top. We rarely tried to penetrate last night, several times resulting in a last second long jumper.

Quick thoughts
  • Syracuse will steal games in ACC play off of their defense alone. However, it is an unsustainable style of play

Please clarify. How is our defense unsustainable? And why would t teams rely on great defense to win games?

Between our defense AND rebounding we should stay in most games all season.

Totally agree. Chukwu is as important for this team to win, especially if Sidibe is out for the season. PC has continued to show signs of steady improvement. Need to keep it up. One question that continues to puzzle me is why Syracuse keeps passing the ball back and forth on top. We rarely tried to penetrate last night, several times resulting in a last second long jumper.
the 1st half offense was abysmal - as bad as you'll see any opponent try and attack our zone

Please clarify. How is our defense unsustainable? And why would t teams rely on great defense to win games?

Between our defense AND rebounding we should stay in most games all season.

I'm talking about it being unsustainable in the sense that the offense will have to show up at some point. Can't rely on solely the defense every night.

The screen at the top of the zone, while very simple, was very helpful in assisting our guards penetration into the lane last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom