Quick thoughts on the game | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts on the game

I realize I was a bit harsh on PC last night, and I especially see that now that I have seen how many offensive boards he got, but some of you all had the same thoughts as me throughout the game. I just went way in on them. I was three big beers in - all 7.5 and higher ones at that.

Chukwu is getting dominated by Thompson, this is Sidibe injury is a nightmare.

Chukwu is just standing around watching. He’s let them score about 8 straight points in the paint. He’s reacting instead of anticipating. Moyer is MIA.

Chukwu and Moyer both got overpowered there. Not good.

Good lord Chukwu

Amazing what happens when you dunk with two hands

I realize I was a bit harsh on PC last night, and I especially see that now that I have seen how many offensive boards he got, but some of you all had the same thoughts as me throughout the game. I just went way in on them. I was three big beers in - all 7.5 and higher ones at that.

Chukwu had a pretty good game but as someone else pointed up he also had some pretty bad stretches where he looked lost like he did last year. Got bullied a few times by Thompson, the missed dunk, bizarre finger roll shot, and that awful turnover I referenced above. Part of it isn't his fault because were asking him to play 30+ minutes a game when he barely played last year and was penciled in for maybe half that many minutes this year before our normal luck kicked in with the Sidibe injury. Also like a lot of our big men recently, you see flashes him putting it all together and then he reverts back to the same old bad habits a possession later. The good news is his Ft's look light years better then they did to start the season, he seems to understand that once he picks up a foulr or two he needs to dial it back a bit without Sidibe, and three he continues to be a great shot blocker/rim protector.

Moving forward SU needs him to rebound more/better and continue to finish around the rim when he gets great looks or opportunities off of misses are loose balls. I think most people on the board realize he isn't going to average a double/double in ACC play but we need him to at least finish dunks and give us some rebounding presence to go with his D. 6-8 pts a game with same amount of rbs to go along with 2-3 blks would be outstanding.

Chukwu had a pretty good game but as someone else pointed up he also had some pretty bad stretches where he looked lost like he did last year. Got bullied a few times by Thompson, the missed dunk, bizarre finger roll shot, and that awful turnover I referenced above. Part of it isn't his fault because were asking him to play 30+ minutes a game when he barely played last year and was penciled in for maybe half that many minutes this year before our normal luck kicked in with the Sidibe injury. Also like a lot of our big men recently, you see flashes him putting it all together and then he reverts back to the same old bad habits a possession later. The good news is his Ft's look light years better then they did to start the season, he seems to understand that once he picks up a foulr or two he needs to dial it back a bit without Sidibe, and three he continues to be a great shot blocker/rim protector.

Moving forward SU needs him to rebound more/better and continue to finish around the rim when he gets great looks or opportunities off of misses are loose balls. I think most people on the board realize he isn't going to average a double/double in ACC play but we need him to at least finish dunks and give us some rebounding presence to go with his D. 6-8 pts a game with same amount of rbs to go along with 2-3 blks would be outstanding.

Exactly what I should have said last night. Instead, let's just say I didn't.

Just don't let it happen again.

i may have mentioned in the chat room that PC's glasses resembled carla's from the chew...
and for that i also apologize.

Last edited:
Overall, I thought we were fairly terrible in the first half. Obviously shooting better in the second half helps even things out. But still. Not a great game from our guys tonight.

- I thought Frank had a decent game. I knew people would whine when he hollered at PC, but he deserved it for being weak. Glad he knocked down some shots and he took it to the rim on his one layup harder than most of the guys on our squad taller than him. His steals were excellent, and he made some nice passes tonight.

- Glad to see Battle find his stroke. I would love to see him just once look for anyone else when he's bottled up. Marek was wide open for a dunk on one drive in the second half, and we got lucky the EMU guy fouled Battle because Tyus took like 18 steps to the hoop.

- Was pleased with Washington in the first half, and really disappointed we didn't see him earlier in the second half. I think he's super calm with the ball which really helps the team. Was way pissed Chukwu did not annihilate the rim on the super sweet pass from Howard W. Dome would have exploded.

- Disappointed with Oshae tonight. Why not take that easy foul shot against the zone? It was there all night.

- Chukwu. If he had shot his normal percentage from the foul line, everyone here would be saying how (EDIT) average at best he was tonight. But he lit it up from the charity stripe, so all is forgiven, I guess. He needs to be so much more, so much stronger. It's absolutely unfathomable to me that he's in his 4th year of college hoops (understanding he didn't get much time his 3rd year). And he was able to secure 12 rebounds so good on him for that.
Re Chukwu...he didn’t play much in year 1 or 2 either

Re Chukwu...he didn’t play much in year 1 or 2 either

I know about 2, but he wasn't limited in practice. I see he only had 335 total minutes at PC. Still, just seems like someone who has been around that long should be a bit farther along at this point. Take what we can get and pray he doesn't foul out.

I think the disconnect last night, at least with me, is I'm grading Chukwu on a curve at this point, fair or not fair. I can't tell you how low my expectations were for him coming into this season after seeing him for that brief time last year. Basically I was hoping he could hold the fort down for 10 minutes without a disaster and that Sidibe was more ready to carry the load than many probably expected. If you would have told me that he would have 15 points and 12 boards, I would wonder how many games it took for him to get there. So considering my expectations, I'm thrilled with that kind of output even though I realize there are opportunities for improvement. Plus Thompson isn't exactly a bad player for EMU. The guy averages 18 ppg and 12 rbs.

Now that I've seen his potential is higher than I thought it was, my expectations will rise but I'll still probably be pretty happy with double doubles, generally speaking.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom