Quick thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Quick thoughts

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
- First off. The refs. They were TERRIBLY fair. Missed calls for both sides. The worst was the hack on poor Zanna which should've been an and-1.

- Pitt came out flat and James came out firing hot again. We competed for loose balls, hustled, and rebounded early. Very nice to see.

- MCW had a couple of bad turnovers but played a nice floor game and made some HUGE FTs.

- Late 2H it looked like the previous Pitt game where they were out-muscling and owning us inside for rebounds. Just not enough beef.

- Pitt D in general was not as strong as I thought it would be. I think if we had quicker guards then we would've won pretty easily.

- Just a very gritty win and some timely plays from everybody. That 1H was beautiful. Continue the redemption tour!

It's hard to pick the worst foul not called in a Pitt game. Your head could explode because there is so many to choose from.

he had me at "terribly fair", that's a new one for me.

But it was a fairly apt description. I was at the game and the amount of missed calls were staggering. Both sides. SoBe nailed it. Watch the MCW steal with 10 seconds left. Blatant travel. All sorts of pushing and shoving under the hoop. At one time I looked up and 32+ minutes into the game Pitt had only 8 or 9 fouls for the whole game. Are you kidding me? These officials are not doing the BE any favors because a lot of other officials will call it much tighter starting next week. That could lead to another BE flameout.

I'm failing how anyone can read that and think it's anything but positive, overall. Let's recap:

1. Poorly officiated game, both ways (reasonable)
2. Pitt came out not shooting well, James shot well (accurate)
3. MCW played a strong floor game despite a few brain fart turnovers (also accurate)
4. We got outmuscled a bit but overall outworked Pitt (yeah, that's just so negative I can hardly stand it)
5. Pitt D was not as good as it has been in recent years and we could have exploited it with guard a little quicker going to the hoop (this might be the most negative thing in the post, and it's not that negative)
6. We were gritty and played a great first half and held on for the win and will hopefully keep winning (yeah, that's just horribly negative...get out of here, you clear Pitt fan, you!)

Jesus people, just because people aren't openly blowing Jim Boeheim doesn't mean they are being negative.

I'm failing how anyone can read that and think it's anything but positive, overall. Let's recap:

1. Poorly officiated game, both ways (reasonable)
2. Pitt came out not shooting well, James shot well (accurate)
3. MCW played a strong floor game despite a few brain fart turnovers (also accurate)
4. We got outmuscled a bit but overall outworked Pitt (yeah, that's just so negative I can hardly stand it)
5. Pitt D was not as good as it has been in recent years and we could have exploited it with guard a little quicker going to the hoop (this might be the most negative thing in the post, and it's not that negative)
6. We were gritty and played a great first half and held on for the win and will hopefully keep winning (yeah, that's just horribly negative...get out of here, you clear Pitt fan, you!)

Jesus people, just because people aren't openly blowing Jim Boeheim doesn't mean they are being negative.
I didn't know quoting terribly fair and where's the beef could cause such a response. Anomander didn't seem to be combative either. That leaves you and backlash. Oh that's right it's only ok for jekelish to fool with people.

I didn't know quoting terribly fair and where's the beef could cause such a response. Anomander didn't seem to be combative either. That leaves you and backlash. Oh that's right it's only ok for jekelish to fool with people.
Really? So something like this:

if you didn't know he was a syracuse "fan" you would actually think a pitt supporter wrote it
...isn't negative? Or the thing saying that what the OP posted was negative, finishing with "good lord"? You're really suggesting that wasn't the least big combative?

Most of what he said was positive and spot-on. Lighten up!

I really do think some people read that first comment as Fair was terrible today.

Refs are refs, they get a lot right, they get a lot wrong, typically evens out. They definitely missed some calls that would have helped us, but that no call that the OP referenced was the one of the strangest missed calls you'll ever see.

...isn't negative? Or the thing saying that what the OP posted was negative, finishing with "good lord"? You're really suggesting that wasn't the least big combative?
No. Far cry from other responses I've read here . Why don't you just check a few threads from yesterday

posters talk about the team negatively but then can't deal with negative posts directed at them? touche. now you know how the team feels

posters talk about the team negatively but then can't deal with negative posts directed at them? touche. now you know how the team feels
Well for starters, I'm not sure what "negative posts" were directed at me, but I can deal with any of them. I'm also pointing out the fact that what you said was more negative than what the OP said. The OP was not even remotely negative yet you're there saying "must be a Pitt fan" (paraphrasing). Calling someone a Pitt fan is the equivalent of spitting in their eye and saying you sexed up their mother.

Well for starters, I'm not sure what "negative posts" were directed at me, but I can deal with any of them. I'm also pointing out the fact that what you said was more negative than what the OP said. The OP was not even remotely negative yet you're there saying "must be a Pitt fan" (paraphrasing). Calling someone a Pitt fan is the equivalent of spitting in their eye and saying you sexed up their mother.

read it with the eyes of a pitt fan. never mind we just had a huge win lets make sure to point out a few negatives and a no call Pitt didn't get. like we didn't get hammered the whole game and JS didn't take a charge the play before.

But it was a fairly apt description. I was at the game and the amount of missed calls were staggering. Both sides. SoBe nailed it. Watch the MCW steal with 10 seconds left. Blatant travel. All sorts of pushing and shoving under the hoop. At one time I looked up and 32+ minutes into the game Pitt had only 8 or 9 fouls for the whole game. Are you kidding me? These officials are not doing the BE any favors because a lot of other officials will call it much tighter starting next week. That could lead to another BE flameout.

I agree completely. Don't know how MCW got away with that one. And the hack by CJ on Zanna was one that even CJ thought should be called a foul based on his expression.

I agree completely. Don't know how MCW got away with that one. And the hack by CJ on Zanna was one that even CJ thought should be called a foul based on his expression.
The truth nothing but.

read it with the eyes of a pitt fan. never mind we just had a huge win lets make sure to point out a few negatives and a no call Pitt didn't get. like we didn't get hammered the whole game and JS didn't take a charge the play before.
I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but do you not see that 95% of the post was positive? The OP was saying the the reffing was bad both ways, and just used a missed call for Pitt to illustrate that he wasn't watching with orange colored glasses. Yes, we got shafted, but so did Pitt on a few occasions. And again, the OP was being almost entirely positive. Even when he said MCW had a few dumb turnovers (which he did) he followed up by saying he had an overall great floor game.

There were missed calls both ways.

Which is exactly what the original poster said to begin with!

and i was agreeing with.

The thing about the officiating that bothered me the most was that they were so inconsistent. Tight as hell to start and then loosened up as the game went on.

and i was agreeing with.

The thing about the officiating that bothered me the most was that they were so inconsistent. Tight as hell to start and then loosened up as the game went on.
Oh I know. I'm supporting you.
Ok and?? That's all he said?
1. OP says "officiating sucked both ways"
2. anomander, and yourself to a lesser extent, jump on OP saying he's being negative
3. Someone else says we got away with some fouls
4. You circle all the way around and say reffing sucked both ways, which agrees with the original post that you appear to have thought was negative and worthy of calling out a bit

I just find it a little funny.

This is getting to be the silliest argument I've ever seen on this site, and that's saying a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom