Quincy Guerrier physically ready to play college hoops | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier physically ready to play college hoops

This was posted on his recruiting thread, but this is how I have always thought it was pronounced.

I don't know about Quincy's last name, but the French spoken in Quebec and France are quite different/diverging. Quebecers have some significant difficulty communicating when visiting Paris and/or France. And then there's the "French" spoken down in Louisiana: Creole and Cajun. Different languages.

Point is, and I don't mean to be prikly, but I am not certain your friend in Paris is the best source for the pronunciation of Quincy's surname.
Mark Messier is from Canada. He is cool, was a great athlete and he pronounces his name Mess-EE-AY.

If it is good enough for Mark, it is good enough for Quincy.

They don't. It's pronounced Quinnzee, pallie, just like the gud Lohd and Nomah Gahciapahhra intended.

Yep. Just how my father-in-law, a native of Quincy (and no relation to Nomah as far as I know) pronounced it!

I'm aware that Cajuns haven't had any French language lessons since sometime in the 1600's and that any word that has been invented recently ends up being English (La Television, La computer.) But a lot of the basics are very similar. But even in France there are local dialects starting with Alscaciens, the variant spoken by many in Alsace.

So the only possible correct input we can get on the proper pronunciation of Guerrier is from Quebeque-er?
No. I do, however, believe we have a better chance of getting it right from a Francophone from Quebec, as that is where Guerrier's family is from. Makes sense, right?

That said, our surest bet is to wait for Guerrier to educate us.

I'm aware that Cajuns haven't had any French language lessons since sometime in the 1600's and that any word that has been invented recently ends up being English (La Television, La computer.) But a lot of the basics are very similar. But even in France there are local dialects starting with Alscaciens, the variant spoken by many in Alsace.

So the only possible correct input we can get on the proper pronunciation of Guerrier is from Quebeque-er?

Depends on what you mean by 'proper.'

No. I do, however, believe we have a better chance of getting it right from a Francophone from Quebec, as that is where Guerrier's family is from. Makes sense, right?

That said, our surest bet is to wait for Guerrier to educate us.

I'm voting for Grrrrr to be his nickname. Like a dog growling.

Guer-ri-ere

Think of the pronunciation of two French words you probably do know.

La Guerre (War) for the "Guer" part
Derriere (Buttocks) for the "rier" part as in der·ri·ère
Buttwar?

Mark Messier is from Canada. He is cool, was a great athlete and he pronounces his name Mess-EE-AY.

If it is good enough for Mark, it is good enough for Quincy.

Another reason France is just the worst

I don't think many people who have any real understanding of or familiarity with France agree with that

I spend a lot of time there. I actually just got back.

It's not without its problems, but nothing there in any category is the "worst". And much of it is the "Best" anywhere starting with food, cheese, wine, art, architecture, trains, roads and the absence of grossly obese people lumbering around dressed in NFL spirit gear. Seventy-five percent of its electric power comes from nuke plants. Paris is the most beautiful city in the world and is extremely livable.

I don't think many people who have any real understanding of or familiarity with France agree with that

I spend a lot of time there. I actually just got back.

It's not without its problems, but nothing there in any category is the "worst". And much of it is the "Best" anywhere starting with food, cheese, wine, art, architecture, trains, roads and the absence of grossly obese people lumbering around dressed in NFL spirit gear. Seventy-five percent of its electric power comes from nuke plants. Paris is the most beautiful city in the world and is extremely livable.

Don't worry, Townie, my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

So basically, we still have no idea. So you're saying its GARY-AY?

My mom is French and her maiden name is "x"uerrier, so I feel like I have a bit of an idea.

I have no problem saying it in actual French. Its converting that sound into English, because that last syllable (ier) doesn't really have a comparable English pronunciation that people are familiar with other than "ay" which is really a little too strong of a pronunciation, but the best we have.

Last edited:
In introductory French, there was a rule I still remember. At the end of a word, you have to be CaReFuL. C R F and L get pronounced at the end of words.

This guy will definitely need a pronounceable nickname , but not shaky potatoes.

Excuse me while I get this thread back on track. Just a comment and a question...

1) The NCAA is going to f%%% us again, right?
2) His profile pic is a dead ringer for Andre 3000

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom