Quincy Guerrier physically ready to play college hoops | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier physically ready to play college hoops

I just talked with a friend in Paris who is fluent in French.

Turns out I was wrong, but so is the "Ger-ree-ay" approach.

Seems like the Perrier people have populariized the "Per -ee -ay" pronunciation even though the average Frenchman would find that as annoying as Per-ee-er". Perrier realized it was a word Americans just wouldn't be able to pronounce properly.

According to this guy, no American is going to be able to pronunce Guerrier properly including not being able to add the slight trill to the "r".

R is silent and the “trill” is done at the back of the throat...Garrr-ee-ay...

No idea how the Quebecois would pronounce it.

Btw, there was one other recruit who blew up physically between his JR and SR years of high school...

First post I read from jumping over from the the football board.

Wow.

it does make you wonder if he enrolled if he would sit or play.

Quincy Guer - Rrrrii (gotta prrr that r) - eh

So what you are saying is that the name is basically unpronounceable by the average American.

Quicy better get mentally prepared for either an Anglicized pronunciation or a knickname.

Trilling of "rrrr's" ain't part of what we do. I speak passable Spanish and I could never get a real handle on "Tierrrrrra del Madrrrre"

I spend a fair amount of time in France and I can assure you that generally the French do no like amateur attempts at speaking their language. Your attempts to use your high school French to communicate sound like chalk on the blackboard to them. If they can, they'll quickly switch you to speaking English if they can partially because they hate people mangling French.

Spanish speaking countries seem to feel complimented when you make the effort to speak Espanol. But the French flat don't like it.

I have no idea if French Canadians have the same dedication to the proper use of the French language.

Euro-French is said to have strayed more in recent times, while Canadian French has remained more untouched by external forces, if I remember correctly a report several years ago about a French government agency's attempt to halt it.

So what you are saying is that the name is basically unpronounceable by the average American.

Quicy better get mentally prepared for either an Anglicized pronunciation or a knickname.

Trilling of "rrrr's" ain't part of what we do. I speak passable Spanish and I could never get a real handle on "Tierrrrrra del Madrrrre"

I spend a fair amount of time in France and I can assure you that generally the French do no like amateur attempts at speaking their language. Your attempts to use your high school French to communicate sound like chalk on the blackboard to them. If they can, they'll quickly switch you to speaking English if they can partially because they hate people mangling French.

Spanish speaking countries seem to feel complimented when you make the effort to speak Espanol. But the French flat don't like it.

I have no idea if French Canadians have the same dedication to the proper use of the French language.

French speakers in Belgium have a similarly dim view of honest attempts to speak in French by the Yanks. My wife tried it. Once.

I'm going to just call him merci buckets after all the points he's going to score.

Hope he can play soon but it'll be interesting to see how Jim rotates that when he's ready.

French speakers in Belgium have a similarly dim view of honest attempts to speak in French by the Yanks. My wife tried it. Once.

Yeah, I would suspect that. Now, I don't know about the Canucks. They might be less sensitive.

To Americans, the French are hard to understand. They were accurately described to me as "Italians in a bad mood". The devotion of almost the entire population to fine, even exquisite, food is just the start. They love the French language and are very particular about how it is used.

There are regional differences in pronunciation, but even these aren't lazy attempts at the language that we Americans might countenance with English.

That's interesting. I had always heard that the French are happier if you at least try.

That's interesting. I had always heard that the French are happier if you at least try.

I think you are getting pretty bad advice.

Not everyone is as sensitive. Waiters and hotel clerks might be more prone to overlook it. But the garden-variety Frenchman really doesn't like it. It's seems to them like it is impolite and even disrespectful of the language. We aren't anywhere near as persnickety about people speaking proper English. But they are about their language. The average Frenchman in Paris can speak better English than visiting American can speak French. If you are there, watch how quickly they switch the conversation to English when you start to try and communicate in French.

There are dozens of little difference in the culture. For example, walking down the street eating an apple is to them crude. Food should be consumed at a table with a table cloth. Not greeting a store owner or a clerk when entering a store is very bad manners. If you walk through Paris you might notice how well dressed everyone is, especially when compared to the US.

You won't hear any of this from Rick Steve's.

As they say in Battleship, "Direct Hit!" You hit a hot button and off I went.

Like I said, I just got back after two months in Paris and I spent most of it wondering why we can't have nice things too.
I dont think that's what our overlords want

I’m from Massachusetts and I didn’t know people from Mass pronounced Quincy weird.
Qwinzee, somehow the Boston accent gets a "w" in there