Quincy Guerrier . . . Superstar? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier . . . Superstar?

if he's even just a threat to make a 3 if left open, that makes him so much more dangerous as an offensive player. and I think he's in the process of becoming that - he stroked that one last night with confidence and his form has always been solid - so yeah, big(ger) things coming for QG me thinks

So hilarious to see the tenor of this board. Every player is the next generational talent because they played well against Niagara. Four days ago, the mob wanted the entire thing burned down. Guess what will happen if we lose to Rutgers (without two starters, mind you)? Yep, the same characters will be talking again about Quincy’s “lack of lift” or how Kadary is just another guy who is “a good athlete but not a basketball player” or whatever else nonsense.

I was going to bring up the lack of lift even before I saw this! Sooooo, ha!

Great motor though, and will get his stats against decent teams from effort/execution, but has enough game to overwhelm teams like Niagara. Ain't nothing wrong with that!

Millsap is a great comparison. Quincy needs to become a more consistent shooter, but even Millsap wasn't much of a three point shooter until his 8th year in the league.

Speaking of that, an interesting side note - in his first 7 years in the league with the Jazz, Millsap attempted a total of 113 threes. The following year, with the Hawks, he attempted 212 threes that season (shooting at a 36% clip). Quite the transformation of his game.
Yeah.

Millsap evolved at that interesting time when big guys needed to refine their shooting in the pros.

Nowadays, guys have to start showing signs a lot earlier.

I don’t think Quincy will ever be the focal point of the offense and that’s okay because he doesn’t need to be. He’s going to do the dirty work and get his own shot by doing the dirty work. I think he can legitimately average 10-14 ppg and 10 rpg. I also think it’s funny that this team is going to be one of our better rebounding teams we’ve had and I wasn’t really expecting that. Quincy, Griffin, Dolezaj, Sidibe, Richmond can all rebound extremely well for their position

I don’t think Quincy will ever be the focal point of the offense and that’s okay because he doesn’t need to be. He’s going to do the dirty work and get his own shot by doing the dirty work. I think he can legitimately average 10-14 ppg and 10 rpg. I also think it’s funny that this team is going to be one of our better rebounding teams we’ve had and I wasn’t really expecting that. Quincy, Griffin, Dolezaj, Sidibe, Richmond can all rebound extremely well for their position

It's awesome that Marek/Kadary/Griffin can all grab the board and immediately push it to get into transition.

Yeah, so... if Guerrier keeps shooting 70% and Griffin keeps shooting what he is we need to see some of Griffin's attempts go to Guerrier.

I agree that he can be a great garbage points guy, but, we're under using him if that's all we look to him for.

He’s not Buddy or anything but I think he has the ability to knock down 3s and can improve that aspect of his game this season. As a junior, I think he’ll really start to put it all together. But this season we’ll probably want him to look scoring around the basket more.

Yeah, so... if Guerrier keeps shooting 70% and Griffin keeps shooting what he is we need to see some of Griffin's attempts go to Guerrier.

I agree that he can be a great garbage points guy, but, we're under using him if that's all we look to him for.
Agreed, if he keeps playing like he has the last 2 games we are going to have to start seeing his attempts go up and getting him the ball more of a priority. I guess more of what I’m saying is these last 2 games he hasn’t really been the focal point of the offense and look at the numbers he has put up. It’s pretty crazy. I think that’s what he is best at though is being a second-third option and doing the dirty work. But if we do start making him the focal point it will be interesting to see how he handles it and what his numbers end up looking like.

I like Quincy a because he brings us the little stuff a lot of the rest of the roster lacks. Toughness, rebounding, finishing. But it isn't sexy. He very quietly dominated Niagara. He isn't a star but he is a very useful player

The nice thing about a guy like Quincy is that his game translates to someone that will be in college at least 3 years. NBA teams need guys like him on their roster, but they aren't clamoring for them in the draft too often.

He's a good player. He has excellent hands in traffic and usually grabs rebounds with 2 hands. I think at this point he will be a garbage man offensively who can take advantage of mismatches that arise on the block. He's going to be a solid contributor no doubt.

Following the graduation of Rak in 2005, it seems like we have been desperate for a "bad-ass" big man. Lydon was a very good player, but he was soft. Chewy and Sidibe can block shots but they aren't enforcers. Q is that type of player that Pitt always would have with Jamie Dixon who just plays tough.

Already the best rebounder we've had since Rick Jackson, and he has the ability to go down in the top 5 all-time here, in my not so humble opinion. Call me crazy if y'all want, but I've seen enough to feel comfortable saying this. If he can just add the weak side block, a la Wes Johnson to his repertoire, then I think he would become a defensive superstar.

Another thought.

Q being a consistent rebounder and scorer means he soaks up at least one big from Duke/UNC/Virginia.

Thats dangerous paired with our perimeter offense and the fact that Griffin and Richmond may each be able to beat their men off the dribble.

If Marek can continue to facilitate high/low, thats an offense.

Don't forget, Quincy hasnt just done it well the past two games, he started putting it together toward the end of last year including an impressive performance in the final game against North Carolina's bigs. Too early to talk superstar but the guy is definitely a beast on the boards and put backs, exactly when we need most from him.

Q is the type of player that helps you win in the ACC if you aren't lighting it up from 3. He can compete with the UNC bigs for boards physically as an example.

If Quincy played for Marquette or Pitt in the late 00s-early 10s, he would’ve averaged 21 and 14 against us for 7 years straight. Yes...7.

If Quincy played for Marquette or Pitt in the late 00s-early 10s, he would’ve averaged 21 and 14 against us for 7 years straight. Yes...7.
Haha yes I can def see that. He kind of reminds me of Chevy Troutman from Pitt all those years ago. But his jumper is way better. Q has good form, I think his shooting will only improve as the year goes on which will be a huge benefit to the team. Once that happens, watch out, we will be tough to beat.

Haha yes I can def see that. He kind of reminds me of Chevy Troutman from Pitt all those years ago. But his jumper is way better. Q has good form, I think his shooting will only improve as the year goes on which will be a huge benefit to the team. Once that happens, watch out, we will be tough to beat.

I really liked that headfake and drive move he made in the first half from the right side. He’s gotten a lot better.

I really liked that headfake and drive move he made in the first half from the right side. He’s gotten a lot better.
I agree. He looks to be going up strong and using his body well. I think his jumper will continue to improve with more attempts and more confidence. I will say though I agree with whoever mentioned this above, he doesn’t get much lift off the ground. Hopefully that’s just from his injury and will change but I’ve been a bit surprised by that.

Yeah, the competition wasn't good and all that, but Quincy's domination of Niagara yesterday was significant beyond him merely getting a second double-double. The most important thing he did was hit his only 3pt attempt. Along with everything else he did, that was really big.

The reason is cuz we can all recall last year when 1) he really looked lost a lot of the time, and 2) he was forbidden to take 3pt shots after he missed them too frequently. It made him look...well, kinda flawed, ya know?

But then this summer, after hearing he played injured last year, we were moved to a 'wait and see' attitude toward Quincy's potential. Last year we saw him making a lot of mistakes in the zone; would he be much improved this year?

What I think we saw in this game vs Niagara is that Quincy is "there." Where last year we saw a lot of uncertainty, this year we're seeing a guy who knows what he is doing, knows how to help this team.

But the question was always does this guy have the ability to make an open three, or not? Quincy being a reliable 3pt shooter makes him a major major threat to opposing teams. Indeed, it makes him potentially a weapon as formidable as Carmelo Anthony. If his three ball begins to look like Melo's, then what does that make him as an offensive weapon to this team?

The thing is, we've heard that he hits his threes in practice and he said in a recent interview that he always hit 3-4 threes per game in high school. So yeah, with the confidence he's been able to build up by listening to his coach on how to improve his team play, there's every reason to expect that Quincy might turn into the team's MVP before our eyes, become that Big Time player that we were all imagining when we heard he had committed to Syracuse years ago.

His game yesterday just oozed confidence, and I'm getting pretty excited about what a confident Quincy Guerrier could do for us as this season continues to unfold.

And then there's Kadary... :)

-----------
**Edit: Because so many have opined that Guerrier "is not" a Superstar, currently, I should re-iterate that the claim I'm making is not that he IS a Superstar at this time, but only that IF he starts to regularly hit open threes, as reliably as Melo did, we'd then logically have to allow for the possibility that he could very well become a major Superstar for this team. Is it a reasonable projection?

No. He had very nice games against very weak, undersized opponents.

illinois was a finalist along with us & oregon for quincy

imagine if this year's loaded illini squad also had quincy and alan griffin . . . that might rival the superstar kendall gill, kenny battle, nick anderson team that knocked out one of the greatest syracuse teams of all time

I think that QG will be good as long as he knows his role. He is an energy guy, not a volume shooter like he seemed to try to be at the start of last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom