Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
College is not the NBA and 6’7” power forwards can get by in college. I also think he’s replaceable if he leaves. No one wants to hear this, but JB, Jr. is more skilled than Quincy.
Not sure.

My problem with Jimmy Jr is that if hes a good player that could contribute 10-15 quality minutes per night that means JB will play him 35+ over anyone else even a future NBA lottery pick. Or a Jr Quincy if he comes back. Quincy misses acouple shots against Colgate and Jim Jr gets hot that is probably it for Quincy as a starter. If he stinks he'll play 10-15 regardless.

If he has hurt knees, as people suspect, this makes almost zero sense. He's not going to test well.
The harm is if the scouts want him to focus on things that are inconsistent with SU’s best offensive schemes. I remember Brissett wanting to focus on his three point shooting, which resulted in a lot of ill-advised threes.

Why don’t people understand that this is a business for these kids to. We wanna win and they want to get paid. I got no problem with any kids leaving school early even if they don’t get drafted they don’t have to play in the NBA. I wouldn’t want to give the NCAA my likeness basically everything if they don’t want the education they should move on. Good luck Quincy doesn’t matter where you make money playing basketball as long as you get a chance to make it.

Why don’t people understand that this is a business for these kids to. We wanna win and they want to get paid. I got no problem with any kids leaving school early even if they don’t get drafted they don’t have to play in the NBA. I wouldn’t want to give the NCAA my likeness basically everything if they don’t want the education they should move on. Good luck Quincy doesn’t matter where you make money playing basketball as long as you get a chance to make it.
I think people forget to that opportunities are in place for guys to come back and finish their education.

It makes a lot of sense. There's a very brief window of time for people to be athletes by profession, but people can learn and earn degrees at all kinds of different life stages.

Maxing out earning potential from athletics then maxing out earning potential from education is the wisest choice anyone can make, if they have those opportunities.

Those who are against it are probably looking at it from their perspective, what they think that they’d do in his situation. More than likely they are looking at it from their perspective as a fan. Quincy leaving or testing the waters does not fit into their plans as a fan. If he leaves than that’s one more piece to worry about and one more piece that has to be replaced.
For the record, I fully support what Quincy is doing. Would I like him back? Sure. Does what I want as a fan always line up with what the players (or coaches) want? Not at all. In the end, what I want as a fan means nothing.

I think people forget to that opportunities are in place for guys to come back and finish their education.

It makes a lot of sense. There's a very brief window of time for people to be athletes by profession, but people can learn and earn degrees at all kinds of different life stages.

Maxing out earning potential from athletics then maxing out earning potential from education is the wisest choice anyone can make, if they have those opportunities.

And even if the NBA doesn't happen for Q, he could still make great money overseas.

I love Q, he is my favorite current Cuse player. He works hard and maxes out his talent. All that being said, he is not close to being an NBA player. He lacks shooting skills and handle for an NBA three, and he lacks size for an NBA four. If he were 6'9 or 10" he might have a shot, not at 6'7". Also, he has good, but not elite athleticism.

If he declares he will not get drafted. That means he will have to decide between overseas, G-league, or coming back to the Cuse. I would love to see him come back, but i would totally support whatever he decides is best for his family and himself.

I love Q, he is my favorite current Cuse player. He works hard and maxes out his talent. All that being said, he is not close to being an NBA player. He lacks shooting skills and handle for an NBA three, and he lacks size for an NBA four. If he were 6'9 or 10" he might have a shot, not at 6'7". Also, he has good, but not elite athleticism.

If he declares he will not get drafted. That means he will have to decide between overseas, G-league, or coming back to the Cuse. I would love to see him come back, but i would totally support whatever he decides is best for his family and himself.
They should publish statistics of how many G-League players make an NBA roster each season. I doubt it's more than 3%. And that includes the 10 day contract guys who hardly ever stick.

They should publish statistics of how many G-League players make an NBA roster each season. I doubt it's more than 3%. And that includes the 10 day contract guys who hardly ever stick.
Over the last 8 seasons there's been a minimum of 30 players each year called up from the G League to the NBA.

I want to say that we've reached the tipping point where the majority of players in the NBA have spent at least some time in the g league.

i'm sure both of his kids are fine people and raised well.and they're both exceptional players.
but that doesn't mean you have to play for dad. in fact i think they would both be better served playing elsewhere. less pressure and a different coaching perspective from the usual dinner table critique.

if i was reading the team chemistry right Q and AG seemed kinda tight. JoeG and Buddy were BROS. marek was kinda neutral like Slavserbistan. i never felt all the cogs meshed. the jersey said UNITY but was it ?

if i was reading the team chemistry right Q and AG seemed kinda tight. JoeG and Buddy were BROS. marek was kinda neutral like Slavserbistan. i never felt all the cogs meshed. the jersey said UNITY but was it ?
I think the word on the uniforms was Equality. Maybe Nike knew the portal was going to break up the team early.

ADB5F42C-0B58-47D0-9028-29384A4986AD.jpeg

Didn't want to get the swider thread way off track so sharing here. Some of Quincy's highlights from this year...there are a few times where he takes his man off the dribble and one real nice drive to the hoop and using his left. With that said, Quincy does most of his work right around the hoop and doesn't put it on the deck a ton. Hes capable but it isn't one of his strengths. His athleticism and toughness are what stands out and we will really miss him if he leaves even with the Cole commitment. Hoping he stays but not betting on it.

Didn't want to get the swider thread way off track so sharing here. Some of Quincy's highlights from this year...there are a few times where he takes his man off the dribble and one real nice drive to the hoop and using his left. With that said, Quincy does most of his work right around the hoop and doesn't put it on the deck a ton. Hes capable but it isn't one of his strengths. His athleticism and toughness are what stands out and we will really miss him if he leaves even with the Cole commitment. Hoping he stays but not betting on it.

Maybe I’m crazy but I don’t see Q as an elite athlete. I think he’s athletic but in terms of NBA athleticism I think he’s average to slightly above average. Like J Grant is an elite athlete. Maybe that was cause Q has been hurt a bit but I don’t think he’s some crazy freakish athlete.

Maybe I’m crazy but I don’t see Q as an elite athlete. I think he’s athletic but in terms of NBA athleticism I think he’s average to slightly above average. Like J Grant is an elite athlete. Maybe that was cause Q has been hurt a bit but I don’t think he’s some crazy freakish athlete.
I agree with you. NBA athletes are freaks. I don’t think Q is an NBA player. But, if he is, it will be his motor and tenacity coupled with his improved jump shot and aggressive rebounding. He is strong, he may be able to defend fairly well in the NBA, too.

I agree with you. NBA athletes are freaks. I don’t think Q is an NBA player. But, if he is, it will be his motor and tenacity coupled with his improved jump shot and aggressive rebounding. He is strong, he may be able to defend fairly well in the NBA, too.
Agree as well. Right now his jumper is not NBA caliber although I do think he could become a good shooter. His form is nice albeit a bit slow on his release. He def improved his jumper this year from his freshman year. Problem is he just isn’t elite at anything. He’s average to good at a few things with an elite motor. That might be good enough for college but that’s not for an NBA team. He needs to finish better, work on his handle and improve his jumper. He also can’t go left or use his left hand really at all which seems to be what coaches figured out in how they guarded him. Teams took away his right in the second part of the season and he was less effective.

The harm is if the scouts want him to focus on things that are inconsistent with SU’s best offensive schemes. I remember Brissett wanting to focus on his three point shooting, which resulted in a lot of ill-advised threes.
I remember the problems CJ Fair had when he came back as a senior to try to improve on the things the scouts saw lacking.

Agree. He plays below the rim.

Agree. He plays below the rim.

On defense Q does well in timing blocks as a help defender and using strength and effort on the boards. He has looked pretty good on alley oops to me and he will dunk in traffic on occasion so I would say he is a bit more athletic and not a purely below the rim guy. Remember too he hasn't been fully healthy for different reasons each year.

On defense Q does well in timing blocks as a help defender and using strength and effort on the boards. He has looked pretty good on alley oops to me and he will dunk in traffic on occasion so I would say he is a bit more athletic and not a purely below the rim guy. Remember too he hasn't been fully healthy for different reasons each year.
Yeah and will he ever be? I hope so.

Like I said above- catching some alley oops or dunking now and then doesn’t suddenly mean they are a high flyer. And this is about the nba... everything is scaled up. Everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom