Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
On defense Q does well in timing blocks as a help defender and using strength and effort on the boards. He has looked pretty good on alley oops to me and he will dunk in traffic on occasion so I would say he is a bit more athletic and not a purely below the rim guy. Remember too he hasn't been fully healthy for different reasons each year.

He is definitely assertive in traffic (which is why he's a strong rebounder and generally effective as an interior scorer and garbageman; same with the weakside recovery blocks - he earns those with want-to rather than pure athleticism). So that's an advantage over some peers who shy from contact. And I don't know about the injuries, maybe that's made a difference too.

But all those putbacks in the highlights, look at the release point. Even the dunks are barely up-and-overs. I'm in no position to make NBA predictions because that's an area I know so little about. But compared to even your typical Syracuse wing, Guerrier's always struck me as a below-average athlete. I'm happy, though, that he seems to have an above-average motor and an above-average comfort level with contact.

Yeah and will he ever be? I hope so.

Like I said above- catching some alley oops or dunking now and then doesn’t suddenly mean they are a high flyer. And this is about the nba... everything is scaled up. Everything.

As I said, I'm the last person who should be evaluating NBA readiness.

But those offensive rebounds where he gathers himself and puts up a little babyhook with a release point a foot below the rim? With a defender in his ribcage and a help defender ready to block that shot with his armpit, that part of his offensive game will all but disappear.

The answer he's likely to get from the process, not in so many words, is that he needs to decide whether to start playing overseas this year or next. What he actually hears is another story.

As I said, I'm the last person who should be evaluating NBA readiness.

But those offensive rebounds where he gathers himself and puts up a little babyhook with a release point a foot below the rim? With a defender in his ribcage and a help defender ready to block that shot with his armpit, that part of his offensive game will all but disappear.

Thinking about this further, in part because I've heard him mentioned as a player comp, Oshae Brissett had exactly the abilities that Guerrier lacks, and vice versa. If you combined the two you would have, if not necessarily a lottery pick, then a certain first-team All America and one-and-done type of forward.

One guy uses his body relatively well, instinctively attacks the rim, and goes after the ball with tenacity. But he's not very tall and doesn't jump very well, and he probably isn't the most savvy basketball player.

The other guy went out of his way to turn a dunk into a three-foot flip shot and tried to make all kinds of circus moves to avoid contact. But he could jump, he knew where to be, and he had an A+ first step.

Put the two together and you've got a Canadian Carmelo Anthony-lite.

On defense Q does well in timing blocks as a help defender and using strength and effort on the boards. He has looked pretty good on alley oops to me and he will dunk in traffic on occasion so I would say he is a bit more athletic and not a purely below the rim guy. Remember too he hasn't been fully healthy for different reasons each year.

I think his health has been a bigger problem than many are aware. I don't like how he plays injured guys so much these past few years, personally. I know, I know, everyone is banged up from the season.

But come on, there have been games I remember when a guy literally could not jump. You can't play injured guys like that when you have 3 more on the bench.

I think his health has been a bigger problem than many are aware. I don't like how he plays injured guys so much these past few years, personally. I know, I know, everyone is banged up from the season.

But come on, there have been games I remember when a guy literally could not jump. You can't play injured guys like that when you have 3 more on the bench.
Agree with this. He played with a torn groin muscle his entire freshman season. Not sure exactly what the injury was he played with this season but it clearly greatly bothered him and it appeared to get worse and worse as the season progressed.

By the end of the year, he struggled to make simple movements and when he went down to the ground, it was very hard for him to get up by himself. His stats and productivity really fell off the map after that fantastic start he had.

Not sure what the injury was. Someone will probably write an article on it in a month or two, after he has had surgery.

We have never seen him play for any length of time when he was 100% but early in the season, he was moving and jumping far better than I have ever seen from him. We talked about how he was a far better player than he showed as a frosh because he was so limited with the torn groin. I think he can do a lot more than he showed this season as well.

I think the biggest reason Quincy might come back is to show the pro scouts what he can do when he is healthy. My guess is that even if he goes pro now, he is going to be badly hampered in workouts and unlikely to impress anyone.

He has a chance to average a double-double if he returns. To me, this is the biggest key for next season. We don’t really have a proven rebounder or inside presence on the roster now (though I think Jesse can average close to 10 rpg if he can stay out of foul trouble).

Quincy is one of the toughest guys I have seen play at Syracuse. He is a warrior. I think we need someone like him on the team next year.

Agree with this. He played with a torn groin muscle his entire freshman season. Not sure exactly what the injury was he played with this season but it clearly greatly bothered him and it appeared to get worse and worse as the season progressed.

By the end of the year, he struggled to make simple movements and when he went down to the ground, it was very hard for him to get up by himself. His stats and productivity really fell off the map after that fantastic start he had.

Not sure what the injury was. Someone will probably write an article on it in a month or two, after he has had surgery.

We have never seen him play for any length of time when he was 100% but early in the season, he was moving and jumping far better than I have ever seen from him. We talked about how he was a far better player than he showed as a frosh because he was so limited with the torn groin. I think he can do a lot more than he showed this season as well.

I think the biggest reason Quincy might come back is to show the pro scouts what he can do when he is healthy. My guess is that even if he goes pro now, he is going to be badly hampered in workouts and unlikely to impress anyone.

He has a chance to average a double-double if he returns. To me, this is the biggest key for next season. We don’t really have a proven rebounder or inside presence on the roster now (though I think Jesse can average close to 10 rpg if he can stay out of foul trouble).

Quincy is one of the toughest guys I have seen play at Syracuse. He is a warrior. I think we need someone like him on the team next year.
Yea, I’m on the Quincy train all the way. As JB said, I think he’s just starting to scratch the surface of what he can do. He could be an All American if he returns next season.

The only issue is where does that leave Jimmy Jr? A rotation of Quincy, Benny and Cole wouldn’t leave much room for him. And if Quincy doesn’t return, I’m concerned about having two so-so athletes in Jimmy and Cole playing PF.

IMO, Quincy has more to gain by listening to scouts and working on his game than Battle did. Battle's game felt narrower and thus, ceiling felt lower.

Thats just my take though.

Yea, I’m on the Quincy train all the way. As JB said, I think he’s just starting to scratch the surface of what he can do. He could be an All American if he returns next season.

The only issue is where does that leave Jimmy Jr? A rotation of Quincy, Benny and Cole wouldn’t leave much room for him. And if Quincy doesn’t return, I’m concerned about having two so-so athletes in Jimmy and Cole playing PF.
I hesitate to weigh in on some of the discussions going on until we know better what the final roster is going to be.

I assume Alan is not coming back but I don't know for sure.

I think there is a real chance Quincy comes back for the reasons outlined earlier.

Maybe one of the reasons Jimmy Jr hasn't made any announcement is because he is waiting to see what Quincy is going to do?

IMO, Quincy has more to gain by listening to scouts and working on his game than Battle did. Battle's game felt narrower and thus, ceiling felt lower.

Thats just my take though.

I think the biggest thing is that he's got to get healthy.
I wish more athletes would do yoga. Athletes in most major sports don't do enough flexibility work. It really helps prevent muscular injuries.

I think the biggest thing is that he's got to get healthy.
I wish more athletes would do yoga. Athletes in most major sports don't do enough flexibility work. It really helps prevent muscular injuries.

Everyone should do yoga. It helps with aches and pains along with strength, balance and flexibility.

I hope Quincy comes back. I get more excited about the team when there is a Canuck on it :)

Do we know if Jimmy Jr has many offers?

Yogurt is good too.
1617760339227.png

Not sure why such a strong athletic guy like him is always injured. Don't remember any major moments these injuries occured. But yeah if he could get a run of being 100% healthy he'd be a different player in a good way. The skill came along pretty well this year both outside shooting and finishing around the rin.

I REALLY hope Q comes back. If he does, I don't know how he and Benny don't start with Swider spelling both. Even if Jimmy Jr. does come. It certainly wouldn't bad to have a four man forward rotation. Even if it isn't something we have grown accustomed to from JB. I would take 25 minutes each from the starters giving 100% effort and then 15 minutes each from the backups also able to give 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom