Quint's Top 20: Reshuffling the Top 10 | Syracusefan.com

Quint's Top 20: Reshuffling the Top 10

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
15. Syracuse Without face-off man Ben Williams, SU looks like everybody else ranked between Nos. 11 and 30, quite frankly. With him they appear to me as a team that could be ranked No. 5 to No. 11. Take a second and think about this — Who are their future stars in the freshman or sophomore class? Where would they be without transfers? This team is on a slippery slope; it's hard to see them winning more than eight or nine games. Virginia is in the Dome on Sunday.

15. Syracuse Without face-off man Ben Williams, SU looks like everybody else ranked between Nos. 11 and 30, quite frankly. With him they appear to me as a team that could be ranked No. 5 to No. 11. Take a second and think about this — Who are their future stars in the freshman or sophomore class? Where would they be without transfers? This team is on a slippery slope; it's hard to see them winning more than eight or nine games. Virginia is in the Dome on Sunday.

Hard to read/hear but again not sure he is wrong. Nearly all of the main offensive weapons are upper classmen save for a few bright spots and after showing some flashes the 2015 recruiting class has taken a step back this year from an offensive standpoint. Little early to judge the the 2016 class with Trimboli, Dearth and others only being in their third games but the lack of high end young talent is extremely concerning. Going to be a lot of pressure on next years frosh to come in and make an immediate impact not to mention another 2-3 transfers.

Hard to read/hear but again not sure he is wrong. Nearly all of the main offensive weapons are upper classmen save for a few bright spots and after showing some flashes the 2015 recruiting class has taken a step back this year from an offensive standpoint. Little early to judge the the 2016 class with Trimboli, Dearth and others only being in their third games but the lack of high end young talent is extremely concerning. Going to be a lot of pressure on next years frosh to come in and make an immediate impact not to mention another 2-3 transfers.

syracuse offensively is ordinary but the guy goes out of his ways to smack Syracuse.

Take what he says piece by piece:

“Who are their future stars in the freshman and sophomore class?”

He could have a point here and it goes back to what I just said about recruiting. But it’s early. I don’t understand really what his point is. Syracuse being average TODAY is because of the upper classmen, not the pups.

Here’s who’ve stood out to me from the under classman:

Rehfuss – redshirt freshman. He might have the most star potential
Trimboli
Voight
Solomon
DiPietro
Fusco
TBomberry
…and obviously Nick Mellen
…and Wisnauskas at 6-3 200 isn’t someone to sleep on though I’d feel better had he actually grabbed a starting spot.

“Where would they be without transfers?”

This is just stupid. It’s the second week in a row he’s mentioned it. Ben Williams has been here 3 years now. He’s not a hired gun. Take Dylan Maltz off Maryland. Where would Denver be without Cannizaro. It’s just a stupid thing for him to harp on. There’s a lot of transfers.

syracuse offensively is ordinary but the guy goes out of his ways to smack Syracuse.

He could have a point here and it goes back to what I just said about recruiting. But it’s early. I don’t understand really what his point is. Syracuse being average TODAY is because of the upper classmen, not the pups.

Trimboli
Voight
Solomon
DiPietro
Fusco
TBomberry
…and Wisnauskas at 6-3 200 isn’t someone to sleep on though I’d feel better had he actually grabbed a starting spot.

This is just stupid. It’s the second week in a row he’s mentioned it. Ben Williams has been here 3 years now. He’s not a hired gun. Take Dylan Maltz off Maryland. Where would Denver be without Cannizaro. It’s just a stupid thing for him to harp on. There’s a lot of transfers.

I don't get his point about transfers either. To me its a good thing that the staff realized the team needed help so bringing in Williams, Rehfuss, bomberry, Mariano have been beyond smart. Tried to duplicate that with Grass an Orizatti but it didn't work out.

As for his other comments I think he was asking where is the young offensive talent on this team. Even Rehfuss is a transfer who SU kind of felt into. The SU staff didn't forget how to judge talent or make offers so what has been going on the last three + recruiting classes? Are we missing out on more guys then we realize? Tons of guys underachieving not living up to the potential? Based on what we have seen from the 2013 and 2014 class a lot of players who we thought could have made an impact either flamed out, transferred (Maltz, the marshall street Middie), or can't get off the bench. Its concerning to me that the last impact Freshmen SU had play on offense is probably who Keough, nearly a decade ago? Or a red-shirt Donahue? If Wisnaukas is showing the ability to play in practice then burn the shirt and get him in there, ditto for anyone else who can make an impact on offense or defense and that includes the Goalie as Molloy has been uneven since the NCAA tourney last year.

I am extremely high on the next two classes from an offensive standpoint and the D is young and very talented but its getting beyond frustrating to watch Hopkins, Maryland, Denver, Yale etc trot out impact Frosh year after year while we keep swinging and missing.

As for his other comments I think he was asking where is the young offensive talent on this team. Even Rehfuss is a transfer who SU kind of felt into. The SU staff didn't forget how to judge talent or make offers so what has been going on the last three + recruiting classes? Are we missing out on more guys then we realize?

We only know about the guys who commit here.

We never find out about the recruits we offered who turned us down.

Nor do we ever learn about the recruits we never offered.

It's tough to say if we're swinging and missing on a lot of top shelf recruits, or if our evaluations are way off and we're not even going after all the guys we should be offering.

Trimboli
Voight
Solomon
DiPietro
Fusco
TBomberry

Amen. The Ben Williams dig is stupid. It's similar to the Gbinje Duke thing. Cuse has relied on transfers, notably from OCC over the years, but it isn't a total staple of our team, nor something we can't live without. Plus, the money issue, 12.5 ships per team, is big. Tough to get a ton of top players every year. Means someone is getting pushed out, so the transfer market is real. Not sure that should be seen as a knock on recruiting.

It's tough to say if we're swinging and missing on a lot of top shelf recruits, or if our evaluations are way off and we're not even going after all the guys we should be offering.

Well we do know about some of the guys we offered and didn't get, Zack Miller, Cannizzaro (mutual decision though I believe), Bomberry (initially), Zed Williams, the kid that went to PSU, Gaudet (decomitt). In my opinion the issue is our evaluations are off and were not going after one we need to as outside of the 2014 class which clearly we swung and missed on top recruits and our worse ranking in forever confirmed, the other classes haven't been terribly ranked but guys who were supposed to be big time players or stars here didn't pan out. Regardless its an issue that we have to solve no matter what the cause is.

Also look at UVA, despite 3 underachieving years they have Kraus, Aiken Conrad etc. Where are those young O players on Syracuse?

I don't get his point about transfers either. To me its a good thing that the staff realized the team needed help so bringing in Williams, Rehfuss, bomberry, Mariano have been beyond smart. Tried to duplicate that with Grass an Orizatti but it didn't work out.

As for his other comments I think he was asking where is the young offensive talent on this team. Even Rehfuss is a transfer who SU kind of felt into. The SU staff didn't forget how to judge talent or make offers so what has been going on the last three + recruiting classes? Are we missing out on more guys then we realize? Tons of guys underachieving not living up to the potential? Based on what we have seen from the 2013 and 2014 class a lot of players who we thought could have made an impact either flamed out, transferred (Maltz, the marshall street Middie), or can't get off the bench. Its concerning to me that the last impact Freshmen SU had play on offense is probably who Keough, nearly a decade ago? Or a red-shirt Donahue? If Wisnaukas is showing the ability to play in practice then burn the shirt and get him in there, ditto for anyone else who can make an impact on offense or defense and that includes the Goalie as Molloy has been uneven since the NCAA tourney last year.

I am extremely high on the next two classes from an offensive standpoint and the D is young and very talented but its getting beyond frustrating to watch Hopkins, Maryland, Denver, Yale etc trot out impact Frosh year after year while we keep swinging and missing.

I wasn't aware that Rehfuss was a transfer, so I guess Qiunt won't ever count him. I should take him off the list since he'll never count. ha. One thing I like about Rehfuss is his size. He's got quick feat and doesn't get swallowed up by defenders.

I would never count out Wisnaukas as being a star since he has 4 years left - lol - but it's hard to think a 'star' is sitting on the bench redshirting. Short of an injury if he was 'that' good then he should be on field. Stars today are the kids that come in as freshman and grab a starting spot or at least get lots of run. I can't think of a kid who redshirted that became a star.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that Rehfuss was a transfer, so I guess Qiunt won't every count him. I should take him off the list since he'll never count. ha. One thing I like about Rehfuss is his size. He's got quick feat and doesn't get swallowed up by defenders.

I would never count out Wisnaukas as being a star since he has 4 years left - lol - but it's hard to think a 'star' is sitting on the bench redshirting. Short of an injury if he was 'that' good then he should be on field. Stars today are the kids that come in as freshman and grab a starting spot or at least get lots of run. I can't think of a kid who redshirted that became a star.

I have been very impressed with Rehfuss, seems advanced beyond his age as a red-shirt frosh and someone who has the chance to only get better as he works on all facets of his game. He has shown some impressive dodging ability and didn't appear to be overwhelmed by the moment. I would like to see him garner some more PT, might even be time for him to start over Solomon. Thorpe being out for the year is also a killer, kid is an incredible finisher who earned a man up spot and can finish in close probably better then anyone on the team.

I agree about your comments regarding Wisnaukas although Donahue did red-shirt so stars do red-shirt but its rare as you noted. To me the fact that we haven't had one frosh come in over last 7-8 years and make an immediate impact is very concerning. I mean were talking about Syracuse here not High Point or Siena. Recruiting strategy seemed to have shifted a few years ago and should start bearing fruit next year through 2019 but that's not gonna do much for us this season.

With his logic all lax players reach their full potential by the time they are sophomores. Madness.

Read this article about Salcido from last year

Not to come to Desko's rescue but Salcido was given a good amount of run the year previous after he played well in two scrimmages and he was a disaster. They had to bump him off the second mid line. The kid made a hell of a comeback and this team needs him desperately this season.

I railed on this for years but I hate recruiting kids all over the country. Its seems the strategy is to go find 6-0+ athletes and turn them into lacrosse players but I think they lack the innate IQ of the game.

Can you be great sticking to the traditional hotbeds? IDK but man I feel like we don’t even bother to recruit the Island.

Not to come to Desko's rescue but Salcido was given a good amount of run the year previous after he played well in two scrimmages and he was a disaster. They had to bump him off the second mid line. The kid made a hell of a comeback and this team needs him desperately this season.

That's actually my point... there will be kids like Salcido that for a variety of reasons aren't ready to contribute or reach their potential until after their second year out of high school.

That's actually my point... there will be kids like Salcido that for a variety of reasons aren't ready to contribute or reach their potential until after their second year out of high school.

No I totally get that, a lot of players need some time to adjust to the Div 1 game and grow into their position to make an impact at the D1 level. I think teams need to have a good balance of those type of players but also some guys like Reeves, Aiken, Tinney, Rambo, Cannizzaro who can make an impact from Day 1.

Agreed. I'm okay with a roster with some transfers but I don't see them going to final fours and winning national championships if your best players are transfers.It used to be the transfers would complement the existing elite talent.Now its the other way around and thats a major problem in terms of winning national championships. Recruiting really needs to step up.

I have been very impressed with Rehfuss, seems advanced beyond his age as a red-shirt frosh and someone who has the chance to only get better as he works on all facets of his game. He has shown some impressive dodging ability and didn't appear to be overwhelmed by the moment. I would like to see him garner some more PT, might even be time for him to start over Solomon. Thorpe being out for the year is also a killer, kid is an incredible finisher who earned a man up spot and can finish in close probably better then anyone on the team.

I agree about your comments regarding Wisnaukas although Donahue did red-shirt so stars do red-shirt but its rare as you noted. To me the fact that we haven't had one frosh come in over last 7-8 years and make an immediate impact is very concerning. I mean were talking about Syracuse here not High Point or Siena. Recruiting strategy seemed to have shifted a few years ago and should start bearing fruit next year through 2019 but that's not gonna do much for us this season.

One thing that no one is talking about is the lack of production and overall toughness from 1st line mid Matt Lane. he has 1 goal and 1 assist on the year. For a kid who is 6 ft 6 230+ he really struggles to create his own shot, and for some reason he continues to play.

the staff should have realized this by now. B. Bomberry needs to be on the field and touching the ball EVERY single possesion. He is the best scorer on the team and cannot get stuck on the bench. Move mariano up to middie with rehfuss, solomon and evans at attack. 1st midfield Salcido, Mariano, Bomberry. Lane is struggling and its time to make a change

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom