Quite a haul | Syracusefan.com

Quite a haul

SWC75

Bored Historian
I don 't normally pay much attention to recruits until they get here. But I note that we are reshirting one guy and bringing in five recruits on top of that. We'll have these newcomers:

6-9 Chinoso Obokoh
6-7 Michael Gbinije
6-7 B.J. Johnson
6-7 Tyler Robertson
6-3 Ron Patterson
6-2 Tyler Ennis

Theoretically, this group will be added to:

6-10 Baye Moussa Keita
6-9 DuJuan Coleman
6-9 Rakeem Christmas
6-8 C.J. Fair
6-7 Jerami Grant (and if you believe that Jerami Grant is shorter than C. J. Fair, you need a new pair of glasses.
6-5 Michael Carter Williams
6-4 Trevor Cooney

I'd love to go to war with all that size and talent and the NCAA would allow 13 scholarship players but JB normally has 9-10. I have to think he's bringing in that many guys on the first list because he doesn't expect some of the guys on the second list to be here. I wonder who he expects to lose?

MCW and I bet Obokoh and Johnson redshirt.

That gets us to 10.

Cheers,
Neil

That gets us to 10.

Cheers,
Neil

Agree 100% on MCW / Obokoh--especially if Coleman / Rak both return [which I expect them to].

why dont we recruit a 7 foot stiff to stand in the middle of the zone? It seems to cause trouble for the opponents with the construct of our defense. We dont really even need a big time recruit...just a top 300 dude that can move a bit and hold his arms straight up...

MCW will be gone and there is an outside chance on both CJ and Rak. I think Rak needs to stick around and could use a year more of offensive development, but depending on draft needs at the 3, CJ is in a bind here. Consider freshmen like Wiggins and Parker, maybe even others in a stacked 14' class at the same position.

That gets us to 10.

Cheers,
Neil

Johnson won't redshirt, read the epic thread on him on the recruiting board. His Dad has said he expects to contribute next year and has been told to expect as much by the staff. We'll see, but seems to me it would take a major adjustment to their expectations and plans before a redshirt could even be broached.

MCW will be gone and there is an outside chance on both CJ and Rak. I think Rak needs to stick around and could use a year more of offensive development, but depending on draft needs at the 3, CJ is in a bind here. Consider freshmen like Wiggins and Parker, maybe even others in a stacked 14' class at the same position.

MCW is 21 years old. I personally think he could use another year of fine tuning [not to mention physical maturity], but I can't envision him returning.

Rak...boy, I thought he might have a chance earlier in the season, but his developmental curve seems to have stunted at this point in the season. I still believe we need him to gain confidence and take a step forward [and more importantly, for JB to gain confidence in him] for the team to reach its potential.

We need more from Rak and Coleman.

There isn't anybody who's a bigger CJ fan on this forum than me, but I view him as a longshot as an early entrant this offseason. Needs to show a bit more refinement on his jumpshot, methinks.

Johnson won't redshirt, read the epic thread on him on the recruiting board. His Dad has said he expects to contribute next year and has been told to expect as much by the staff. We'll see, but seems to me it would take a major adjustment to their expectations and plans before a redshirt could even be broached.

Well, he may not redshirt but I doubt he is seeing the floor come ACC time. Even if CJ were to go, which I don't think will happen.

Just too many ahead of him.

Cheers,
Neil

Well, he may not redshirt but I doubt he is seeing the floor come ACC time. Even if CJ were to go, which I don't think will happen.

Cheers,
Neil

I agree that it will be a crowded house indeed next season, but don't sleep on BJ. Having followed that thread and listened to all that Dad has to say, I'm drinking the Kool Aid. I think he is going to fit into a line of guys that flew under scouting service's radar and made a huge impact here. Possibly the most intriguing things about him are his age and the attitude and work ethic that Dad describe. If you haven't read the thread I highly recommend it.

Careful with those redshirt/will not play predictions.

Before the 2010-11 season, lots of posters predicted CJ and Keita would have to redshirt, or get no minutes in the real season.
Before this season, lots of posters (many of the same?) predicted Jerami would have to redshirt, or get no minutes in the real season.

It tends to work out. Guesses about who is ready or not (Fab, DC2) can be flat wrong. Prospects show up with more skill or readiness than some guessed (CJ, Grant) and then show enough in practices or games to earn time.

JB does not routinely redshirt prospects. Cooney is the recent exception, but it hasn't happened often.

Cheers,
Neil

I'm not sold he will be behind that many guys as a forward
He's IMO the best shooter out of CJ, Grant, Roberson and himself. With James leaving he is a natural fit as the off the bench scorer. He can handle, shoot mid and deep plus is athletic enough to take it to the rim. If he can pick up the defense he could be a contributor day one especially in the less physical ACC. Even if CJ and Grant are the main guys unless one of them becomes a 3pt shooter then they are kind of redundant on offence.

MCW would be foolish to come back if he knows he'll be a top 15 pick. I agree he still needs seasoning and quick guards have given him some trouble but if JB and MCW talk after the season and think it's best to go, he's gone. If he stays though, wow what a team.

As for redshirts I'd assume they'll decide that just before the first game in 2013 and I agree that the young man from Rochester is probably going to be redshirting. I wonder what the NBA guys are saying about CJ? I don't think he's ready but just curious on what they are saying.

BJ won't play. The difference between him and other recruits who won't play is that we haven't heard from their dads. Do I think BJ will be a very good player for us? Yes. Yes. Next year? No.

BJ won't play. The difference between him and other recruits who won't play is that we haven't heard from their dads. Do I think BJ will be a very good player for us? Yes. Yes. Next year? No.

That very well may be the case and I'll readily admit that it is Dad's discussion of his son that has influenced me......not exactly the most unbiased source. And the more guys that return the greater the chance that he doesn't get a chance to contribute.

I think BJ Johnson plays guard for us. Ennis, Mike G and BJ to get the most minutes at the guard spots next year IMO.

I think a lot of that is going to depend on the depth of the position he is playing and if he's a drifter or active. Some high school kids are so used to the ball being worked to them that they don't move and work hard to get it and it takes them a while to adjust to that because it's the first time they weren't the first or second option. I always find it interesting watching these guys between their freshman and sophomore years and it's like watching your toddler go from crawling to walking. Some get it later and some just figure it out right from the time they step on the Dome floor and we won't know until then imo.

why dont we recruit a 7 foot stiff to stand in the middle of the zone? It seems to cause trouble for the opponents with the construct of our defense. We dont really even need a big time recruit...just a top 300 dude that can move a bit and hold his arms straight up...

You mean like Billy Celuck?

It has been quite a haul. I think the forward position is a big strength for now and the future with great spacing of top shelf players - CJ (maybe Rak), JG, then Roberson and BJ, then McCollough. Similarly the center position is in the best shape its been in BMK/ maybe Rak (rumors were he was looking to leave)/DC2/Chino.
The 2g has players, will be interesting to see who emerges.

The weaknesses/question marks seem to be pg depth and outside shooting. It looks like MCW will leave forcing JB to start the frosh Ennis. Depth for pg will need to be manufactured out of the remaining combo guards. As for outside shooting, we are losing JS, BT, and even MCW. This only leaves Cooney. Big opportunity for BJ.

I believe MCW is gone after this year. The way everything is going with NBA you would be stupid to leave guaranteed money and a top 10-15 pick on the table. Does anyone else after watching Rak the past few games get the feeling he has had enough of college and JB. Everytime I watch him get pulled for bad D and JB sits him next to him it just seems as though he doesn't listen and JB just ends up telling him to get away from him. That would leave room at a forward spot but with CJ staying and Jerami playing like he has been and JB loves his game with Roberson a stud as the next forward off the bench i don't see much room for BJ to come in and contribute alot of minutes.

Does anyone else after watching Rak the past few games get the feeling he has had enough of college and JB. Everytime I watch him get pulled for bad D and JB sits him next to him it just seems as though he doesn't listen and JB just ends up telling him to get away from him.
Yes.

I was thinking transfer, but I'm not sure Rak is interested in that. So, maybe he thinks he can declare, get a flier because he's 6'9" and can bounce. IMO, though, he might make some money overseas, but there are 50 guys like him pounding salt in the D league.

These threads really get me. Last year around this time everbody was talking about how DC2 was going to come in and contribute mightly if now lead the team. Cooney was going to be a rising star playing 15 zone busting minutes and JG was probably going to redshirt as he was least ready of the all. How has it all work out? I voiced my worry that DC2 was just to heavy to move at college speed. (much like Fab Melo was) The fact that it was the 3rd year in a row that people were touting major things on a big man and the first 2 didn't really happen, I tried to get people to cool it until it happened. Cooney for all his sharp shooting in practice would be nailed to the bench if there was a viable 3rd guard. Not really a knock on him, he is trying and hustles but if there was an alternative, JB would take it.

Next year Gbinije will probably contribute the most just because he is not a freshman. If MCW leaves, Ennis will get the call because he is a point guard. That doesn't mean he'll shine, just there is no other option. Unless he really surprises, Patterson should be the 4th guard just becasue Cooney will have experience over him. Tough seeing either Johnson or Robertson replacing CJ (if he stays) or Jermi. If DC2, Baye and Xmas all stay, I'd look for Xmas to still start at the 4. Obokoh is destine to redshirt just because it may be crowded. On top of this Gbinije could end up playing the 3 a lot depending on the progress of the 3 'son's. Their progress will determine their playing order/time. Bottom line is folks, don't get excited about the recurits UNTIL they get here!

Recruiting has been fantastic for sure. Grant is definitely a solid 6'8 while Fair probably 6'6.5. Not complaining at all and I realize that these guys are the real blue-chippers and the top 5-10 players usually, however, but we need to keep finding guys who can put the ball on the floor and make a play/move. Grant has turned out to be a real gem. Length is fine, defensively especially, but if offensively nobody can do anything then it's a wash, imo. A big reason why Michigan is so good is that Robinson III and Hardaway Jr. can put the ball on the floor and make plays. Btw, I went back to Rivals to look at Michigan's recruiting because I didn't hear much about Burke especially. Burke is from Columbus, OH and both he and Hardaway were 3 Star guys. Same with Grant, I believe. SU recognizes talent gems as good as anybody.

Although I think MCW will go and could get drafted early, he should really have a talk with Donte, Jonny, and Wes first. Although he can do a lot of good things, I really don't think he is ready for the NBA--too many weaknesses that need to be worked on.

Although I think MCW will go and could get drafted early, he should really have a talk with Donte, Jonny, and Wes first. Although he can do a lot of good things, I really don't think he is ready for the NBA--too many weaknesses that need to be worked on.

100% agree but its about the almighty dollar and not the love for the game. Always has been and always will be. This "Its always been a dream of mine to play in the NBA" crap makes me want to puke. Just once I want a kid to come out and say "F college, I want to get paid." I would have more respect than this I have a dream crap.