Quite a haul | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Quite a haul

mcw wtll go first or second. he'll be a better pro. in ten years it will be who's better magic or maestro. make sure you remember this post dasher

Great forecast on Jonny Flynn too...isn't he supposed to be a legend by now?

But if there werent millions of dollars there would be less dreams.

Do you really think so? I think most kids who were playing ball growing up in the 60's were dreaming of playing in the NBA, and the players weren't making millions of dollars.

Why wouldn't someone who is playing a sport dream of playing at the highest level of that sport? Why are they playing then? No one was dreaming of being in the olympics when it was amateurs only?

These threads really get me. Last year around this time everbody was talking about how DC2 was going to come in and contribute mightly if now lead the team. Cooney was going to be a rising star playing 15 zone busting minutes and JG was probably going to redshirt as he was least ready of the all. How has it all work out? I voiced my worry that DC2 was just to heavy to move at college speed. (much like Fab Melo was) The fact that it was the 3rd year in a row that people were touting major things on a big man and the first 2 didn't really happen, I tried to get people to cool it until it happened. Cooney for all his sharp shooting in practice would be nailed to the bench if there was a viable 3rd guard. Not really a knock on him, he is trying and hustles but if there was an alternative, JB would take it.

Not fair, IMO. Coleman is literally one defensive and one (ball-protecting) offensive epiphany away from dominating, Cooney clearly has the bbal shanks yet still far exceeded defensive expectations, and though I wasn't one of em Grant was only presumed to be on course to redshirt because of the depth at forward (which unexpectedly grew thinner). No one doubted his talent only his opportunities and learning curve. Even facing those expectations I challenge anyone to state that this year's freshman class is a poor class.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but my excitement over the 2013 class stems from just how much overall talent and bball IQ we will see from very high quality character human beings. When we win its great, when we win with class, sportsmanship and character its inspiring.

...and I believe that we got three of the biggest steals of the class in BJJ, Obokoh, and Patterson while all the attention is given to Ennis & Roberson (& Gbinije).

But if there werent millions of dollars there would be less dreams.

It would be the WNBA the dream would the same but without the money kids would get there education too.

why dont we recruit a 7 foot stiff to stand in the middle of the zone? It seems to cause trouble for the opponents with the construct of our defense. We dont really even need a big time recruit...just a top 300 dude that can move a bit and hold his arms straight up...
You mean like this guy?
images

Do you really think so? I think most kids who were playing ball growing up in the 60's were dreaming of playing in the NBA, and the players weren't making millions of dollars.

Why wouldn't someone who is playing a sport dream of playing at the highest level of that sport? Why are they playing then? No one was dreaming of being in the olympics when it was amateurs only?

I have no idea what this discussion is about, but I'll throw this out there -- lacrosse kids don't grow up dreaming about playing in the MLL. I think in a simpler time people loved the competition and all that, but now I think most kids growing up playing basketball see it as a nice shortcut to some serious coin (even if it's not NBA millions). And really, you can't blame a lot of these kids. That may be money they have little to no chance of making otherwise, either due to their lack of interest in academics or the disaster that is public education in many cities.

And I feel like the millions and the lifestyle are far more important to most NBA players than "the game" for whatever that's worth.

Of course, I have no idea if that rant had anything to do with what you were discussing, so if not, please ignore.

mcw wtll go first or second. he'll be a better pro. in ten years it will be who's better magic or maestro. make sure you remember this post dasher
He is alive! There were reports he was comatose but he was revived by a doctor saying "zone."

Not fair, IMO. Coleman is literally one defensive and one (ball-protecting) offensive epiphany away from dominating, Cooney clearly has the bbal shanks yet still far exceeded defensive expectations, and though I wasn't one of em Grant was only presumed to be on course to redshirt because of the depth at forward (which unexpectedly grew thinner). No one doubted his talent only his opportunities and learning curve. Even facing those expectations I challenge anyone to state that this year's freshman class is a poor class.

I like your projections for the incoming class and hope you are correct. Love smart players with some talent, even if it's not elite ELITE talent.

As for the above, I'm with you on Cooney and don't get why anyone was projecting Grant would play big minutes provided Southerland/Xmas/Fair trio was healthy and productive. The idea that he'd be getting more than MCW minutes from last year is still pretty far-fetched save for Southerland's paper purchasing.

But Coleman, who I like, may be a defensive and ball-protecting epiphany away from being pretty good but I'd argue two things -- 1) those aren't things that just happen one day. The idea that he's anywhere close to getting there this year is something I"m not buying yet. And 2) I'm not sure he's going to be "dominating" when he gets there. I'm not saying he won't be. Love his hands, rebounding, size, etc. but I still think he needs to drop some weight and make some pretty major strides to be anywhere close to dominating.

I think Coleman is close. He looks better every time you see him as witnessed by that quick move around Dieng for the dunk(?)...which he almost blew.
Rak worries me more because he's so inconsistent. If he gets his shizt together before the Dance, we'll be scary good. At times it looks like he could be dominant, especially defensively & on the boards.

i dont see the kid from Roch ever seeing the floor the way he plays now. he is a project that needs alot of work

The exact same thing was said about Baye on this board, before he came to SU.

Obviously, Oak Hill is quite a bit different place than Rochester, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him a contributor by his Jr year, especially if he gets a chance to redshirt.

His sponsors & coaches have raved about his work ethic (same was said of Baye)

After he is gone, I expect to be glad for his time and contributions at SU, as I do for all who play for SU.

I think Coleman is close. He looks better every time you see him as witnessed by that quick move around Dieng for the dunk(?)...which he almost blew.
Rak worries me more because he's so inconsistent. If he gets his shizt together before the Dance, we'll be scary good. At times it looks like he could be dominant, especially defensively & on the boards.

Thing about DjC is;
- he has size you cant teach
- despite having issues getting blocked & stripped he has excellent hands, which you cant really teach
- he has some of the best footwork for a post player who knows how to utilize size, which is one of the hardest things to get any player to learn if they havent discovered it by college.
- he is a damn good rebounder when he is in good position

Really, once the intricacies of the zone become 2nd nature and he figures out how to play with the ball up high and protected, he has very little learning left to do.

Thing about DjC is;
- despite having issues getting blocked & stripped he has excellent hands, which you cant really teach
- he has some of the best footwork for a post player who knows how to utilize size, which is one of the hardest things to get any player to learn if they havent discovered it by college.

Really, once the intricacies of the zone become 2nd nature and he figures out how to play with the ball up high and protected, he has very little learning left to do.

3 words for DjC:

Attack the basket

Drives me crazy.

Thing about DjC is;

I'm still not counting him out this season. But either way next year he's going to be very good mainly for the reasons you've posted. A lot of what other bigs need to learn and struggle will long into their college careers is already built into his game. Its all about learning the defense which in turn will keep him on the court long enough to build his confidence on offense and then he'll be set.

I'm still not counting him out this season. But either way next year he's going to be very good mainly for the reasons you've posted. A lot of what other bigs need to learn and struggle will long into their college careers is already built into his game. Its all about learning the defense which in turn will keep him on the court long enough to build his confidence on offense and then he'll be set.
God, please play good defense DC2! I agree, he does have a post up game and footwork like none of our bigs since Arinze, maybe even throw Ricky in there even though I wish he went left a little.
Man, if he can put the D together, look out.

And never give up, especially not on the big lug.

You mean like Billy Celuck?

Yes. exactly like him. they dont have to be stars. just space eaters...he was actually slightly effective in the time he got.

Except he had the best four
minutes of his career against nick collison in the national championship game. We don't win our only championship without his defense/ points/ dunk down the stretch. Never forget!

For all the crap Craig Forth has taken from people like me over the years, there are 3 things he was great at - he shut off the baseline drive amazingly well, at an elite level, which was a big key to our defense in 2003; he set great picks on offense, especially for Gerry; and he was a good teammate, i.e., not a jerk, somebody who got along with his teammates and was willing to take on a lesser role for the good of the team.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but my excitement over the 2013 class stems from just how much overall talent and bball IQ we will see from very high quality character human beings. When we win its great, when we win with class, sportsmanship and character its inspiring.

...and I believe that we got three of the biggest steals of the class in BJJ, Obokoh, and Patterson while all the attention is given to Ennis & Roberson (& Gbinije).
I did not say that this years class is poor. It's just that ever year people claim how much the incoming class is going to contribute and so far most of the expectations have fallen short. And this year is no different. Is DC2 just two epiphanies away from dominating? Yeah, maybe, but its hard to see that BOTH are going to happen soon and the season is running down pretty quick and he is going to get less and less time to even get one not to mention two! Now that he sees and feels the game, hopefully next year he'll be that man. During his freshman year, we saw flashed of Fab's ability but it didn't blossom until the following year. My feeling is be excited about the talent coming in. By accounts they are good. Hope they play well enough to contirbute at least a few good minutes a game but expect them to watch 90% of the time from the bench. If they play more, then that will be exciting.

For all the crap Craig Forth has taken from people like me over the years, there are 3 things he was great at - he shut off the baseline drive amazingly well, at an elite level, which was a big key to our defense in 2003; he set great picks on offense, especially for Gerry; and he was a good teammate, i.e., not a jerk, somebody who got along with his teammates and was willing to take on a lesser role for the good of the team.

I agree. CF got a bad rap.

He was also steady, dependable, knew & accepted his role, didn't try to be something he wasn't.
Forth was gonna miss his chippies, sure...but when we needed him to play big, he usually came through.
Against KU in the NC game, his dunk over Collison was the moment I KNEW we were gonna win.