Quite a haul | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Quite a haul

why dont we recruit a 7 foot stiff to stand in the middle of the zone? It seems to cause trouble for the opponents with the construct of our defense. We dont really even need a big time recruit...just a top 300 dude that can move a bit and hold his arms straight up...

How 'bout recruiting a 7' soccer player who has quick feet and can draw charges like crazy?:rolleyes:-VBOF

why dont we recruit a 7 foot stiff to stand in the middle of the zone? It seems to cause trouble for the opponents with the construct of our defense. We dont really even need a big time recruit...just a top 300 dude that can move a bit and hold his arms straight up...

We tried that with Craig Forth, and look where that got us.

Wait, what?

If BJ Johnson sees any time it will have to be at 2G. There are no 165 lb. forwards playing major conference ball. The guy would get thrown around like a rag doll. Even at guard take a number behind Cooney and MG due to the experience factor. I can't see CJ or Rak going anywhere but returning. CJ would be a 2nd rounder and Rak isn't playing anywhere except maybe the Virgin Islands league. Look for Rak to get 95% of his minutes at center next year as Grant and CJ have to start. Here's a sobering thought about next year...take the team that just played against Cincy and remove MCW and Triche and replace them with Ennis and Gbinije. I know we expect Grant and DC2 to improve but it's a queezy feeling that we could be our current team only without our current backcourt.

100% agree but its about the almighty dollar and not the love for the game. Always has been and always will be. This "Its always been a dream of mine to play in the NBA" crap makes me want to puke. Just once I want a kid to come out and say "F college, I want to get paid." I would have more respect than this I have a dream crap.

I just don't get this. Kids dream of playing in the NBA before they fine out if they are any good at the game or are physically mature enough to know if it is a realistic dream. Very few people dream of playing in college. Every player on our team has devoted far many more hours to basketball than their studies. Even if you weren't and athlete in high school surely you knew of some. How many were really good at both sports and academics?

The reason they go to school is to pursue their dream of going to the NBA, it is not their fault that there isn't a different path to the NBA. We don't ask baseball players to go to college to become a MLB players. They can go straight to the minor league baseball system. (College baseball isn't the revenue generator college basketball is.) College basketball has become a defacto minor league and you may not like it, but the kids didn't create the system. (They are just forced to live with it)

Name me one SU player in the last 20 years who has benefitted from staying all 4 years. Name me one 2nd round pick we have had to stick in the NBA in the last 20 years? It doesn't happen MCW needs to go now! It's a 3 year guaranteed contact and if he is not good enough after 3 years in the league than he wasn't good enough. Players do not develop faster in college than the pros, and if at the end of the day they weren't good enough at least they have a few million in their pockets.

If BJ Johnson sees any time it will have to be at 2G. There are no 165 lb. forwards playing major conference ball. The guy would get thrown around like a rag doll. Even at guard take a number behind Cooney and MG due to the experience factor. I can't see CJ or Rak going anywhere but returning. CJ would be a 2nd rounder and Rak isn't playing anywhere except maybe the Virgin Islands league. Look for Rak to get 95% of his minutes at center next year as Grant and CJ have to start. Here's a sobering thought about next year...take the team that just played against Cincy and remove MCW and Triche and replace them with Ennis and Gbinije. I know we expect Grant and DC2 to improve but it's a queezy feeling that we could be our current team only without our current backcourt.

Reports have BJ up to 180lbs and he will probably be 190+ when he his campus

I just don't get this. Kids dream of playing in the NBA before they fine out if they are any good at the game or are physically mature enough to know if it is a realistic dream. Very few people dream of playing in college. Every player on our team has devoted far many more hours to basketball than their studies. Even if you weren't and athlete in high school surely you knew of some. How many were really good at both sports and academics?

The reason they go to school is to pursue their dream of going to the NBA, it is not their fault that there isn't a different path to the NBA. We don't ask baseball players to go to college to become a MLB players. They can go straight to the minor league baseball system. (College baseball isn't the revenue generator college basketball is.) College basketball has become a defacto minor league and you may not like it, but the kids didn't create the system. (They are just forced to live with it)

Name me one SU player in the last 20 years who has benefitted from staying all 4 years. Name me one 2nd round pick we have had to stick in the NBA in the last 20 years? It doesn't happen MCW needs to go now! It's a 3 year guaranteed contact and if he is not good enough after 3 years in the league than he wasn't good enough. Players do not develop faster in college than the pros, and if at the end of the day they weren't good enough at least they have a few million in their pockets.

I'm not disputing anything you said nor did my post insinuate that. I just want kids to come out and say "I want to get paid." Lets face it, if playing in the NBA paid $50,000 a year as opposed to the millions it pays, the "dream" would be put on hold. Dont kid yourself.

It's true, he will probably be around 190lbs, but once he hits campus he will grow to about 8 feet tall, so that is still pretty skinny. He needs to pack on at least 60-70 pounds to get ready for the growth once he tastes Syracuse water.

MCW is 21 years old. I personally think he could use another year of fine tuning [not to mention physical maturity], but I can't envision him returning.

MCW is 21? He looks like he is 12.

I'm not disputing anything you said nor did my post insinuate that. I just want kids to come out and say "I want to get paid." Lets face it, if playing in the NBA paid $50,000 a year as opposed to the millions it pays, the "dream" would be put on hold. Dont kid yourself.

Except kids a told not to say those things. Players who say its about the money a persecuted in the press. Honestly is often frowned upon these days...its a shame

Except kids a told not to say those things. Players who say its about the money a persecuted in the press. Honestly is often frowned upon these days...its a shame

Totally is. My point is if the money was 1/10th of what it is their attitude would change.

It's true, he will probably be around 190lbs, but once he hits campus he will grow to about 8 feet tall, so that is still pretty skinny. He needs to pack on at least 60-70 pounds to get ready for the growth once he tastes Syracuse water.

The crazy thing is we are the tallest team in the country and next year we will be taller.

Name me one SU player in the last 20 years who has benefitted from staying all 4 years.

Derrick Coleman. Okay, he is just over the 20 year yardstick, but barely.

MCW will be gone and there is an outside chance on both CJ and Rak. I think Rak needs to stick around and could use a year more of offensive development, but depending on draft needs at the 3, CJ is in a bind here. Consider freshmen like Wiggins and Parker, maybe even others in a stacked 14' class at the same position.

At this point, neither Rak nor C.J. project as a first rounder. If you aren't getting a guaranteed contract, you ought to come back, grades permitting.

It was a different world then

True. There was more talent in college, and getting into the NBA as a top college player was easier. Making it all the more impressive that DC stayed 4 years, and ended up the #1 pick.

LOL at people thinking Rak will be gone.

Sometimes I think it's because a lot of people want the next new recruit and not so much that he's ready. It always reminds me of that commercial...well he's new...er.

I feel if you are going to get a garanteed contract take it. That gives you 100% of your time to work on just bball, if you can't stick after that for asecond contract then you more than likely never would have anyways and you still got the money.

BJ won't play. The difference between him and other recruits who won't play is that we haven't heard from their dads. Do I think BJ will be a very good player for us? Yes. Yes. Next year? No.

His dad sure doesn't think so. You never know. BJ is really young and not physically developed, but if his shooting is as good as his dad says it is, he could work his way into the rotation as a shooting swing man (I see him more at guard if he plays next year - he'll need time to fill out and get stronger to be able to rebound at the bottom of the zone). There is always a kid or two who surprises. BJ may be that kid next year.

I believe MCW is gone after this year. The way everything is going with NBA you would be stupid to leave guaranteed money and a top 10-15 pick on the table. Does anyone else after watching Rak the past few games get the feeling he has had enough of college and JB. Everytime I watch him get pulled for bad D and JB sits him next to him it just seems as though he doesn't listen and JB just ends up telling him to get away from him. That would leave room at a forward spot but with CJ staying and Jerami playing like he has been and JB loves his game with Roberson a stud as the next forward off the bench i don't see much room for BJ to come in and contribute alot of minutes.

Where is he going? I don't see him transferring and I don't see him getting drafted yet. He's got a lot of work to do. He's not even as good as Terrence Roberts yet.

His dad sure doesn't think so. You never know. BJ is really young and not physically developed, but if his shooting is as good as his dad says it is, he could work his way into the rotation as a shooting swing man (I see him more at guard if he plays next year - he'll need time to fill out and get stronger to be able to rebound at the bottom of the zone). There is always a kid or two who surprises. BJ may be that kid next year.
I think that BJ is working his butt off trying to be ready, both physically and from a skills standpoint, to be able to play and contribute as a freshman. It is up to JB to evaluate where he is at and dish out the PT accordingly. It sure doesn't look like it will be an easy task next year.

No, his dad said 173 or something like that. If he puts on too much weight too fast, it will slow him down. You can't put on 25 pounds in a single year when you're that age.