Quite a haul | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Quite a haul

I wouldnt laugh, hes not coming back.

In the end that may not be a bad thing. With all the forwards we will have next year starting and playing a center at forward doesn't appeal that much to me honestly. Rak could be very good but something seems amiss with him too much of the time. If he isn't around then the rotation gets easier for sure.

C = DC2, Baye
PF = Grant, Roberson
SF = CJ, BJ
2G = MikeG, Cooney, Patterson
PG = Ennis, see 2G's

Sometimes I think it's because a lot of people want the next new recruit and not so much that he's ready. It always reminds me of that commercial...well he's new...er.
Once again, for many it's not about being ready. It's about whether they can get the contract. Also, some people like college more than others. Many people here have the impression that Rak would leave the instant he got an offer. And overseas may look tempting to him. College isn't for everyone. Fab was leaving, Dion was leaving. I think Dion staying for his sophomore year surprised many, including MCW and Cooney. I get the feeling Rak wants to go. He put in a kind of Fab-like offseason, problem is he is not 7 feet.

I think reality has hit Rak and it is kind of depressing to him. Dakari went elsewhere, in part because Rak is no lock to leave. Rak's non-departure would probably mean Chino could redshirt.

In the end that may not be a bad thing. With all the forwards we will have next year starting and playing a center at forward doesn't appeal that much to me honestly. Rak could be very good but something seems amiss with him too much of the time. If he isn't around then the rotation gets easier for sure.

C = DC2, Baye
PF = Grant, Roberson
SF = CJ, BJ
2G = MikeG, Cooney, Patterson
PG = Ennis, see 2G's

I wouldnt be to concerned about it either, just need to make sure we bring in a big next year, dont want to be left with just the Rochester kid if DC2 blows up next year.

I th
I wouldnt be to concerned about it either, just need to make sure we bring in a big next year, dont want to be left with just the Rochester kid if DC2 blows up next year.

I think we are done for next year, but certainly we will bring in a big for 2014 IMP. We already have McCulough but he;s a forward. Goodluck has been on our radar again since he reclassified to 14 and it seems he could be a good fit as a shotblocking big man in the middle, he's gotten into much better shape.

Once again, for many it's not about being ready. It's about whether they can get the contract. Also, some people like college more than others. Many people here have the impression that Rak would leave the instant he got an offer. And overseas may look tempting to him. College isn't for everyone. Fab was leaving, Dion was leaving. I think Dion staying for his sophomore year surprised many, including MCW and Cooney. I get the feeling Rak wants to go. He put in a kind of Fab-like offseason, problem is he is not 7 feet.

I think reality has hit Rak and it is kind of depressing to him. Dakari went elsewhere, in part because Rak is no lock to leave. Rak's non-departure would probably mean Chino could redshirt.

I don't know his financial situation, feelings for being in school or his relationship with his current teammates/staff but sometimes I think some people want that next recruit, like Dakari and hope he'll leave because they think that next guy will be better. Baye is a senior correct? I'd have to think that if anything Rak would leave after his junior year, especially if Boeheim continues to keep Coleman on the bench but I get your point, Rak just may have other interests.

Although I think MCW will go and could get drafted early, he should really have a talk with Donte, Jonny, and Wes first. Although he can do a lot of good things, I really don't think he is ready for the NBA--too many weaknesses that need to be worked on.

And, if he had that talk, I fully expect they might say go when you have reasonable assurances of being selected at the top of the draft. I think Jonny and Wes absolutely made the right decisions. There is very little chance that they would have been drafted any higher than they were if they had played additional college ball. And, I don't think that additional college ball would have done anything to their respective games to change whether or not they got second contracts. In my view the most likely thing that would have happened in both cases is that people would have found reasons why they may have been projected too high and their draft status may have been negatively impacted by returning.

With Donte I am less sure. He seems like someone that might have been able to improve his draft status and possibly improved his skills in a way that might have benefited him in the long run. But I think its been made clear here that Donte was going because he felt like he needed to pull down the income from playing and another year of playing for free in college just wasn't in the cards for him.

why dont we recruit a 7 foot stiff to stand in the middle of the zone? It seems to cause trouble for the opponents with the construct of our defense. We dont really even need a big time recruit...just a top 300 dude that can move a bit and hold his arms straight up...
You seem to have missed the new SU business model as applied to centers. We now acquire the tall athletic foreigner as a program backup to top shelf McD's who we cycle out on what is supposed to be a two year basis.

We have Chino slated to arrive to take BMKs place and be the program backup to DC2 and Dakari...oops Dakari reclassified and Rak is behind schedule. Easy adjustment there though, give Rak another year and redshirt Chino. Get a top 5 center in the class of 2014 and we're right back on track for having a top shelf center position.

I th

I think we are done for next year, but certainly we will bring in a big for 2014 IMP. We already have McCulough but he;s a forward. Goodluck has been on our radar again since he reclassified to 14 and it seems he could be a good fit as a shotblocking big man in the middle, he's gotten into much better shape.

McCullough is a beast. He is going to be GREAT.

At this point, neither Rak nor C.J. project as a first rounder. If you aren't getting a guaranteed contract, you ought to come back, grades permitting.
But if you don't see yourself getting any better and you want to make some money, maybe you leave anyway (see Harris, P.).

With all the talent coming in and the treatment he's getting from JB, he might conclude that there's no point in coming back.

But if you don't see yourself getting any better and you want to make some money, maybe you leave anyway (see Harris, P.).

With all the talent coming in and the treatment he's getting from JB, he might conclude that there's no point in coming back.

Very possiblle, but he is going to get that treatment when he is 6-9 athletic and invisable out there for long stretches. JB is giving him the opertunity he's just not doing anything out there. He made one play against Cinci and JB sent Baye back to the bench from the scorers table to see if Rak would do anything else . . . which he didn't.

i dont see the kid from Roch ever seeing the floor the way he plays now. he is a project that needs alot of work

Very possiblle, but he is going to get that treatment when he is 6-9 athletic and invisable out there for long stretches. JB is giving him the opertunity he's just not doing anything out there. He made one play against Cinci and JB sent Baye back to the bench from the scorers table to see if Rak would do anything else . . . which he didn't.
Absolutely true. However even if it's justified and even if Rak understands that it's justified, he might skip anyway.

JB is giving him the opertunity he's just not doing anything out there.

I agree with this, but wonder if RAK would. Honest self-assessment is very difficult.

100% agree but its about the almighty dollar and not the love for the game. Always has been and always will be. This "Its always been a dream of mine to play in the NBA" crap makes me want to puke. Just once I want a kid to come out and say "F college, I want to get paid." I would have more respect than this I have a dream crap.

I think at some level it's basically one and the same. They have a dream of playing in the best basketball league in the world and getting paid millions of dollars for it.

I think at some level it's basically one and the same. They have a dream of playing in the best basketball league in the world and getting paid millions of dollars for it.

But if there werent millions of dollars there would be less dreams.

why dont we recruit a 7 foot stiff to stand in the middle of the zone? It seems to cause trouble for the opponents with the construct of our defense. We dont really even need a big time recruit...just a top 300 dude that can move a bit and hold his arms straight up...

You mean Craig Forth? I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any more eligibility.

(I did not see the other Forth/Celek comments before posting this, I promise)

I agree with this, but wonder if RAK would. Honest self-assessment is very difficult.

Hard to say what a kid is thinking especially someone who is generally non expresive facially to begin with. I hear you though, what we see as an obvious opertunity he may see as a short leash.

Rak is tough to read. He clearly will not get drafted, but he could transfer. Who knows. Right now he is just a low motor guy. His effort and intensity is lacking. If he figures out how to motor up, which is something that can change quickly, he could be an all BE type player virtually overnight. You can see it clearly during the 1 minute spurts where he is really trying.

Where is he going? I don't see him transferring and I don't see him getting drafted yet. He's got a lot of work to do. He's not even as good as Terrence Roberts yet.

Rak definitely isn't even close to Terrence Roberts level. Roberts banged around down there and showed an occasional post-move. Roberts hustled. I even think Mookie had more of a motor than Rak.

mcw wtll go first or second. he'll be a better pro. in ten years it will be who's better magic or maestro. make sure you remember this post dasher

mcw wtll go first or second. he'll be a better pro. in ten years it will be who's better magic or maestro. make sure you remember this post dasher

:eek: Magic, really? So MCW will be an immortal player and one of the ten greatest to ever play the game...oh...k...:crazy::blah:

If he goes #1 or 2 I will start rooting for .

Sometimes i think you just like to hear yourself say stupid sh it

All I know is that starting next year, the cupboard is full again. Add another PG and a C in the 2014 class and one would think that 25+ win seasons will continue to be the norm. Boeheim & Co have done an incredible job recruiting these last 4-5 years.

Surprised everyone is jumping on Rak.

Best shot blocker on Syracuse, a very good athlete for his size and the NBA loves athletic big men. Doesn't get any touches in the low post, even when open (and Coleman is the only one that gets the ball in those situations) and his demeanor doesn't lend itself to calling for the ball. He is the 5th scoring option (as all our bigs are) on the floor. All he is asked to do for Syracuse is rebound, set screens and block shots.

The NBA doesn't care at all about college stats.

I personally think Rak could be a steal for a NBA team in the 2nd round that wants to play uptempo.

I would be surprised if he returns for his junior year (mainly because his minutes will be the same next year and Coleman would continue to be the big that gets plays called for him).

I wonder how many times Magic got his pocket picked at MSU or LAL?