R.I.P. UConn Football | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

R.I.P. UConn Football

I don't get the vitriol on here.

What else could the guy say? And he had to say somehting.

What I read is that he is focusing on what he can control and trusting in the university leadership to do what's best for the school.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

The guy invoked Belichick by using that “on to Wagner” line.

Know who would never, ever, ever send a blind press release to “the media” like that?

I’m sure you can guess.

Edsall is a clown. He’s perfect for UConn.

The TV deal probably isn’t $3 MM less. These deals are back loaded. The BE is halfway through their deal, so the payments to go are X>$4.16 MM, and the AAC is just starting, so the payments for the same period as the BE deal are on average X<$7 MM.

I don’t know the exact structure, so there’s no way of knowing how big the gap is, if there is one at all.

PLUS, UConn can now keep ALL of their football TV revenue, so they’d be ahead from a TV perspective, even if conference payouts are equal.

Then there the softer benefits of being in the BE, like basketball attendance, travel, etc.

In order for UConn to keep its football TV money it has to have home games and a television contract. I suppose they can work something out with SNY, but I doubt it’ll be worth that much when the only teams playing them at home will be NMSU, Liberty and Wagner.

In order for UConn to keep its football TV money it has to have home games and a television contract. I suppose they can work something out with SNY, but I doubt it’ll be worth that much when the only teams playing them at home will be NMSU, Liberty and Wagner.
To be clear, they don’t need much to close any gap between the AAC and BE that might exist.

And they’re going to have a TV contract and home games. I hate UConn as much as the next guy, but let’s be realistic here...

They’ll get 1-2 P5 home games a year, ~2 upper G5 games, Liberty/UMass, an fcs game, and random g5 games here and there (Army, NMSU, MAC, CUSA, etc.). IMHO, that’s a $1 MM - $2 MM schedule with between 5 and 6 home games.

Transition costs aside (buyouts and buy-ins), I’d be surprised if they’re losing money on this move.

To be clear, they don’t need much to close any gap between the AAC and BE that might exist.

And they’re going to have a TV contract and home games. I hate UConn as much as the next guy, but let’s be realistic here...

They’ll get 1-2 P5 home games a year, ~2 upper G5 games, Liberty/UMass, an fcs game, and random g5 games here and there (Army, NMSU, MAC, CUSA, etc.). IMHO, that’s a $1 MM - $2 MM schedule with between 5 and 6 home games.

Transition costs aside (buyouts and buy-ins), I’d be surprised if they’re losing money on this move.
If they are an independent no national network is going to give them any real money for the slate of games they will likely schedule.
Notre Dame and BYU to a lesser extent can fill their schedules with solid schools.
UConn FB can’t.

They are going to lose money in this move it’s just their expenses are going to be a lot less and their basketball program may sell more tickets for local rivals.

The AAC contract is going to be for 7 million a year per school.
The Big East gets between 4-5 million a year per school.
UConn was able to sell its T3 and WBB to SNY and make good money for them. In the AAC deal those T3 were going to ESPN+ and UConn wasn’t getting anything for that.
ESPN was sniping revenue from them to get their WBB to buy ESPN+ the rest of the AAC didn’t care because those schools don’t have a fanbase like UConn WBB and they weren’t individually getting paid from SNY it was just UConn.

UConn isn’t going to make anymore money but maybe peanuts for its FB rights. They left because they felt their conference sold them out to ESPN and thus the football dream isn’t worth it as they were told no thanks during expansion. UConn is literally the only loser from all conference expansion and we as Syracuse fans don’t care.

I think I have the UConn FB plan figured out... since they are better on the hardwood than the gridiron, they plan to switch to Arena Football! (duh!)

If they are an independent no national network is going to give them any real money for the slate of games they will likely schedule.
Notre Dame and BYU to a lesser extent can fill their schedules with solid schools.
UConn FB can’t.

They are going to lose money in this move it’s just their expenses are going to be a lot less and their basketball program may sell more tickets for local rivals.

The AAC contract is going to be for 7 million a year per school.
The Big East gets between 4-5 million a year per school.
UConn was able to sell its T3 and WBB to SNY and make good money for them. In the AAC deal those T3 were going to ESPN+ and UConn wasn’t getting anything for that.
ESPN was sniping revenue from them to get their WBB to buy ESPN+ the rest of the AAC didn’t care because those schools don’t have a fanbase like UConn WBB and they weren’t individually getting paid from SNY it was just UConn.

UConn isn’t going to make anymore money but maybe peanuts for its FB rights. They left because they felt their conference sold them out to ESPN and thus the football dream isn’t worth it as they were told no thanks during expansion. UConn is literally the only loser from all conference expansion and we as Syracuse fans don’t care.
You’re comparing 2 different time periods when you reference the BE deal and the AAC deal. One number is going into a 12(?) year media deal. The other is halfway through a deal. That distinction is massive The gap isn’t $4.16 MM vs $7 MM.

Also, they were making $1 MM on SNY. Football is worth at least as much as the rest of their garbage. Even schools like MTSU and Liberty play P5 schools at home, and UConn will have more flexibility than the MTSU’s of the world. They will get 1-2 P5 home games, 1-2 upper g5 games, several Indy games (UMass, Army, Liberty, etc.), a fcs game, and several other random games. It’s certainly not a great schedule, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the unwound the team after the stadium was old enough to tear down w/o losing face. But it’s not as morbid as this forum is making it sound (their win-loss numbers, however, will be).

Going to the BE probably isn’t a bad financial move, and it’s a great competitive move for them. Their football program wasn’t, isn’t, and won’t go anywhere, no matter what conference they’re in.

Also, you’re not wrong about the cost avoidance part. It will be interesting to see if their departure is a material change that will cause the AAC deal to go down.

But back to UConn...

The reason why I’m giddy about the move is that it forces UConn to admit what they really are, which is causing a gleeful amount of internal strife. Maybe it will tank their donations, but, truthfully, being in the AAC isn’t/wouldn’t be good for alumni relations, either.

You’re right about them being the biggest loser in conference realignment to the extent that you don’t balance it by them being the biggest winner in conference realignment after the 1st ACC raid (who goes from fcs STRAIGHT to a power conference?!)

Last edited:

You’re comparing 2 different time periods when you reference the BE deal and the AAC deal. One number is going into a 12(?) year media deal. The other is halfway through a deal. That distinction is massive The gap isn’t $4.16 MM vs $7 MM.

Also, they were making $1 MM on SNY. Football is worth at least as much as the rest of their garbage. Even schools like MTSU and Liberty play P5 schools at home, and UConn will have more flexibility than the MTSU’s of the world. They will get 1-2 P5 home games, 1-2 upper g5 games, several Indy games (UMass, Army, Liberty, etc.), a fcs game, and several other random games. It’s certainly not a great schedule, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the unwound the team after the stadium was old enough to tear down w/o losing face. But it’s not as morbid as this forum is making it sound (their win-loss numbers, however, will be).

Going to the BE probably isn’t a bad financial move, and it’s a great competitive move for them. Their football program wasn’t, isn’t, and won’t go anywhere, no matter what conference they’re in.

Also, you’re not wrong about the cost avoidance part. It will be interesting to see if their departure is a material change that will cause the AAC deal to go down.

But back to UConn...

The reason why I’m giddy about the move is that it forces UConn to admit what they really are, which is causing a gleeful amount of internal strife. Maybe it will tank their donations, but, truthfully, being in the AAC isn’t/wouldn’t be good for alumni relations, either.

You’re right about them being the biggest loser in conference realignment to the extent that you don’t balance it by them being the biggest winner in conference realignment after the 1st ACC raid (who goes from fcs STRAIGHT to a power conference?!)
Your last paragraph is why their fans should shut up about realignment.

They were given a golden ticket to join a BCS football league and didn’t have to earn it like a TCU or Utah did to get into a P5 league. They are exactly where they earned to be.

They were given a golden ticket to join a BCS football league and didn’t have to earn it like a TCU or Utah did to get into a P5 league. They are exactly where they earned to be.

Can I like this multiple times? Do I have to pay other posters to click like on it? This is what UCon fans never understood. As someone else said, leeches.

JezPXb.gif

You’re preaching to a choir.

That entitled attitude is one of many reasons why I can’t stand them.

TEAM (Trust, Enthusiasm, Accountability, Mental Toughness, Other stuff).

I think he hired the Bobs.
I bet this moron tried longer words and got nowhere.

TOGETHER TRUST OUR GUTS EASY TO HIM ERRRR wait no

FAMILY Forever A Mess no that aint it

UNITY United Na-nb-nc-nd-neeee NEEDS I THINK YES nope

TEAM Trust Enthusiasm Accountability Mmm Muhhh Masterb mmmmowwww Men Mentaltoughness that's not one word Randy you dumb turd oh fffs MENTAL TOUGHNESS ARE WE DONE YET who gives a rats a no one cares

From the UConn board, on SNY having interest in football broadcasts:

"UConn gets the equivalent of the Longhorn Network without the production nightmares Win. Win. "

Wow. Just... wow. They could go 0-12 every year and have just the opposing team's band in the stands, and many of them would still think the sun revolves around UConn.

"UConn gets the equivalent of the Longhorn Network without the production nightmares Win. Win. "

Wow. Just... wow. They could go 0-12 every year and have just the opposing team's band in the stands, and many of them would still think the sun revolves around UConn.

SNY: UConn Football is just like Mets Baseball, but everyone wears a helmet.

Now, I'm reading that UConn is going back to the AAC to try to talk to the Commissioner about letting their football program stay. (?!?!?!)

Talk about amateur hour! They obviously didn't tell the AAC they were leaving. They negotiated in secret to return to the Big East.

They didn't have a plan for their football program, and within 48 hours, the "idea" of going independent was made clear to them that it meant the end of their football program in what used to be called "Division 1".

What a bunch of maroons!

Now, I'm reading that UConn is going back to the AAC to try to talk to the Commissioner about letting their football program stay. (?!?!?!)

Talk about amateur hour! They obviously didn't tell the AAC they were leaving. They negotiated in secret to return to the Big East.

They didn't have a plan for their football program, and within 48 hours, the "idea" of going independent was made clear to them that it meant the end of their football program in what used to be called "Division 1".

What a bunch of maroons!

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out...

That’s fantastic.

I can’t wait until THAT deal comes out. Then it will be on to the next topic of delusion and denial. I’m going to call it now...

“ESPN is waiting for the BIG EAST contract to expire, and they’re going to throw ACC money at it. They underpaid the AAC as an incentive for UConn to jump to the conference that they wanted them in. That’s why the state of Connecticut was so tolerant of ESPN, even though it looked like they were jerking us around.”

What a bunch of maroons!
The best part is that it’s not April 1. This is happening for real. And, it’s not even December 25th, so I’m not burning a Christmas present on it!!!

Do not schedule them. Ever.

Let them die on the vine.
They succumbed to blossom end rot and fell off the vine when SU and Pitt bolted to the ACC. What we are witnessing now is just decomp.

Ouch...but spot on!
UConn never should have moved up from 1AA. It did so out of unbridled arrogance from being a charter member of the Big East coupled with ESPN headquarters in CT. UConn assumed it had a right to be promoted not merely into 1A football but into a Major/Power conference. And UConn also assumed that its Major conference was to be untouchable, so that UConn could have what it demanded for its football.

UConn basketball will be better off in the BE, and UConn should help the BE. UConn football should return to 1AA. Any 1A league that takes on UConn football is beyond stupid.