R.I.P. UConn Football | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

R.I.P. UConn Football

It’s kind of mind blowing. The economics may very well work out in total. The BE TV deal pays about $3 million less than the AAC’s new deal. But travel costs will be reduced. And I’m sure UConn is banking on men’s hoops attendance improving, along with alumni donations. Still.
And they hope NCAA units are better in the Big East. Still $12-16M outlay in fees is stiff.

As NZM said they will keep their TV revenue...but how much will ESPN+ pay? $1M and UConn produces on their dime?

UConn is going to be abusing their players with 2-3 body bag games versus Top 15 teams yearly. That will gross them $2-4M a year minus travel costs and doctors' bills. They will be lucky to host 5-6 games at home a year. Life is tough for Indies unless you are Notre Dame/BYU or have money like Liberty. Look at the UMass schedule that will be UConn in a couple years after their previously scheduled OOC games run their course.

Last edited:
They can join their New England peers: UNH, Maine, URI and UMass

And they hope NCAA units are better in the Big East. Still $12-16M outlay in fees is stiff.

As NZM said they will keep their TV revenue...but how much will ESPN+ pay? $1M and UConn produces on their dime?

UConn is going to be abusing their players with 2-3 body bag games versus Top 15 teams yearly. That will gross them $2-4M a year minus travel costs and doctors' bills. They will be lucky to host 5-6 games at home a year. Life is tough for Indies unless you are Notre Dame/BYU or have money like Liberty. Look at the UMass schedule that will be UConn in a couple years after their previously scheduled OOC games run their course.

I was reading their football board's reaction to all of this news, and a couple of them are saying, "hey, why can't we be like BYU or Notre Dame as an indepent?"

Uh, reality check.

First, your team is terrible and has been terrible for a long time.

Second, you don't have many fans.

Third, you don't have a national fan base like Notre Dame and you don't have the religious angle of being "the favorite school of Mormons", or the "favorite school of Irish and Catholics", etc.

So good luck with that. They are also hoping that SU, Rutgers, BC, Pitt and Temple will continue to schedule them. Geez, I certainly hope not.

I don't get the vitriol on here.

What else could the guy say? And he had to say somehting.

What I read is that he is focusing on what he can control and trusting in the university leadership to do what's best for the school.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

I don't get the vitriol on here.

What else could the guy say? And he had to say somehting.

What I read is that he is focusing on what he can control and trusting in the university leadership to do what's best for the school.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.
Edsall grade 1 DB. He made his star RB in front of the entire team tell them he was leaving for them for the NFL then after that said same game didn’t fly back with his team and went on a Maryland booster jet to take the Maryland job.
How he behaved in 2008 during Doug Marrone’s first year after a garbage time TD.
Edsall deserves the crap he gets.

Edsall grade 1 DB. He made his star RB in front of the entire team tell them he was leaving for them for the NFL then after that said same game didn’t fly back with his team and went on a Maryland booster jet to take the Maryland job.
How he behaved in 2008 during Doug Marrone’s first year after a garbage time TD.
Edsall deserves the crap he gets.
Randy also informed his team he was leaving for the Maryland job via a text message.

A few hours after teaching his star RB the importance of standing up, being a man and having the integrity to let the people affected by a big decision know in person.

Randy also informed his team he was leaving for the Maryland job via a text message.

A few hours after teaching his star RB the importance of standing up, being a man and having the integrity to let the people affected by a big decision know in person.
If that's not accountability, I don't know what is.

No, I think it's "Career Day" for the former players and coaches.
Now that they've given up football, becoming firefighters seems like a good option to me.

I was reading their football board's reaction to all of this news, and a couple of them are saying, "hey, why can't we be like BYU or Notre Dame as an indepent?"

Uh, reality check.

First, your team is terrible and has been terrible for a long time.

Second, you don't have many fans.

Third, you don't have a national fan base like Notre Dame and you don't have the religious angle of being "the favorite school of Mormons", or the "favorite school of Irish and Catholics", etc.

So good luck with that. They are also hoping that SU, Rutgers, BC, Pitt and Temple will continue to schedule them. Geez, I certainly hope not.
Incorrect. UConn hasn’t had a FBS team for long enough to be terrible for a long time. They have you on a technicality.

Incorrect. UConn hasn’t had a FBS team for long enough to be terrible for a long time. They have you on a technicality.

Well, we should be careful about gloating too much, because we missed out on our invitation to the ACC the first time because of the Governor. But their football has fallen to GRob levels, and their hoops is in a league that none of their fans care about, and whose travel costs are killing all their programs.

Paul Pasqualoni turned out to be the Trojan Horse who killed UConn football. It was a nice thing for him to do, after the state he left Syracuse football in when he was let go.

Well, we should be careful about gloating too much, because we missed out on our invitation to the ACC the first time because of the Governor. But their football has fallen to GRob levels, and their hoops is in a league that none of their fans care about, and whose travel costs are killing all their programs.

Paul Pasqualoni turned out to be the Trojan Horse who killed UConn football. It was a nice thing for him to do, after the state he left Syracuse football in when he was let go.
After the glee UConn fans(sdhusky types) took at the fall of our program under GRob in 2006-2008 and them not appreciating the golden ticket they were given “Let them burn”.

No P5 Conference chose to include them. They are where they deserve to be.