Rak at Forward? | Syracusefan.com

Rak at Forward?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Just throwing this out there. Doubt it comes to fruition but worth a discussion I feel like...

The way Rak is playing, and with Baye expected to return, would Boeheim think about using him at the to spell Grant/Fair and create another "1/2" a player that way? He has played there in the past with Coleman...

The move would allow Baye to play a little more (10-15 minutes), Rak could play 30-35 and spell the other two guys for a couple minutes since it's become apparent that Boeheim doesn't think Roberson is ready.

Just a thought...

I believe that question ahs been answered in Baye's absence. In important games MikeG will be both the 3rd guard and the 3rd forward. Baye will spell Christmas and that is pretty much it. Roberson may get some minutes if we blow someone out our have a decent lead in the first half of a ball game but unless and until he shows some of the promise he surely has in these first half minutes he won't get them against the better competition IMO.

situationally, that is a given

Rak and DC played some minutes together, so I can't see why Rak and Keita would not be used a few minutes a game to spell Fair and Grant.

I think it will depend on the opponent, whether it is better to use Rak or MG to spell Fair and Grant.

jncuse said:
Rak and DC played some minutes together, so I can't see why Rak and Keita would not be used a few minutes a game to spell Fair and Grant. I think it will depend on the opponent, whether it is better to use Rak or MG to spell Fair and Grant.

Because Keita isn't really that great?

JB just said to Andy katz that we may play baye and Rak together.

dasher said:

He might play 9 deep too. Don't see any circumstance of that happening.

I think it would be a wise idea, especially if Roberson isn't going to play.

Otherwise Grant and Fair are going to be worn out, IMO.

It's a great idea; Baye and Christmas have a history of playing well together.

But I don't think it'll happen.

As the season progresses, we get more conservative, not more creative.

jncuse said:
So are you saying that Mike G and Roberson are great players?

I didn't say either was. I think G is a very solid player and has probably the second best shot on the team.

Rak should get 33 minutes, Baye 7. No reason to have both of them on the floor at the same time. Baye has trouble rebounding, makes us a 4 man offense, I mean the guy can't set a pick without turning the ball over with an offensive foul. I like the size he has and his movement in the zone but he is too much of a liability in pretty much every other aspect in the game.

I didn't say either was. I think G is a very solid player and has probably the second best shot on the team.

Rak should get 33 minutes, Baye 7. No reason to have both of them on the floor at the same time. Baye has trouble rebounding, makes us a 4 man offense, I mean the guy can't set a pick without turning the ball over with an offensive foul. I like the size he has and his movement in the zone but he is too much of a liability in pretty much every other aspect in the game.

If Baye at C is better than Roberson is at , and if Christmas is better and more comfortable than Roberson, then Baye should get a couple minutes to spell CJ and Grant.

Especially if Rak can continue to provide 8-10 ppg. We could be OK offensively (not great, but OK for a 2-3 minute stretch).

Two bigs under the basket clog up driving lanes for Ennis, Fair, and Grant. Also, while Rak is a great athlete, I suspect he's slower getting to the corner to contest the three than JB would like. Given our options, I suppose it's possible that in some game JB might try to steal a couple of minutes with both centers in, but as soon as he does it he'll be counting the seconds until he can get one of them out and put a more mobile player on the wing.

Sure, why not? Maybe make Duke commit some practice time for something that probably won't happen, lol! Especially considering Duke's firepower is perimeter driven. :)

If Baye at C is better than Roberson is at , and if Christmas is better and more comfortable than Roberson, then Baye should get a couple minutes to spell CJ and Grant.

Especially if Rak can continue to provide 8-10 ppg. We could be OK offensively (not great, but OK for a 2-3 minute stretch).

Exactly - we are looking at a 2-5 minute solution per game max. Not 20 minutes of it.

What happens if Ennis or Cooney get two quick fouls. G has to play the guard. It comes down to Roberson or Baye for a few minutes, and JB seems to be the type of coach that would rather play someone out of position to keep players he trusts on the floor.

I just think at some point (be it foul situation, matchups) that JB will want to get a few minutes out of them together.

jncuse said:
What happens if Ennis or Cooney get two quick fouls. G has to play the guard. It comes down to Roberson or Baye for a few minutes, and JB seems to be the type of coach that would rather play someone out of position to keep players he trusts on the floor. I just think at some point (be it foul situation, matchups) that JB will want to get a few minutes out of them together.

Then JB would just play Rak or BMK and Grant/Fair. He has no problem playing those guys for extended minutes and he's shown this all year and every year proceeding this one.

If Ennis and G are in I'm willing to top Houston's one billion dollar giveaway that Kieta and Rak will be in at the same time baring death of Fair or Grant. There's just zero precedent of anything like this happening with JB coached teams.

Raks been playing great, but JB still doesn't trust his offensive game enough to have zero offense BMK, and G who is a little passive on offense.