Rak at the 4/5 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rak at the 4/5

5. Between CJ, Grant, and Roberson, there is 0 room for others at forward this year.

Rak gets more minutes at the 4 than Roberson, willing to bet every dollar I ever earn the rest of my life on that. Roberson gets 6-8 minutes a game TOPS this season.

Rak gets more minutes at the 4 than Roberson, willing to bet every dollar I ever earn the rest of my life on that. Roberson gets 6-8 minutes a game TOPS this season.
Fast way to get to skid row.
lol 6-8 minutes.

Fast way to get to skid row.
lol 6-8 minutes.

DaJuan Coleman - McDonalds All-American 14th in the ESPN 100 with BMK his only competition when it comes to minutes at the beginning of the year. = 12 minutes per game

Rakeem Christmas - McDonalds All-American 20th in the ESPN 100 with nobody ahead of him at the 4 = 11 minutes per game

Fab Melo - McDonalds All-American 14th in the ESPN 100 handed the starting job - 14 minutes per game

Tyler Roberson - Very solid recruit without a doubt, can't play the 5, that's out of the question. Roberson is pretty much fighting for minutes with Rak, CJ, Grant, and any minutes that Gbinije gets at the 3 means more minutes at the 4 for CJ and Grant.

You're acting like I sound like a crazy person, what would you have said if I said Coleman gets 12 minutes last year, Christmas gets 11 the year before, and Melo only gets 14 the year before that? You probably would think I was even crazier.

DaJuan Coleman - McDonalds All-American 14th in the ESPN 100 with BMK his only competition when it comes to minutes at the beginning of the year. = 12 minutes per game

Rakeem Christmas - McDonalds All-American 20th in the ESPN 100 with nobody ahead of him at the 4 = 11 minutes per game

Fab Melo - McDonalds All-American 14th in the ESPN 100 handed the starting job - 14 minutes per game

Tyler Roberson - Very solid recruit without a doubt, can't play the 5, that's out of the question. Roberson is pretty much fighting for minutes with Rak, CJ, Grant, and any minutes that Gbinije gets at the 3 means more minutes at the 4 for CJ and Grant.

You're acting like I sound like a crazy person, what would you have said if I said Coleman gets 12 minutes last year, Christmas gets 11 the year before, and Melo only gets 14 the year before that? You probably would think I was even crazier.

I hear you but you listed a bunch of centers. Tyler is forward and is probably the most ready forward we have had since Donte. He's not needed as much as Donte was but I expect he will force his way into the 3rd forward role behind CJ and Jerami.

I hear you but you listed a bunch of centers. Tyler is forward and is probably the most ready forward we have had since Donte. He's not needed as much as Donte was but I expect he will force his way into the 3rd forward role behind CJ and Jerami.

Christmas is a forward through and through. Roberson doesn't really have the skill set to be a 3, I mean he can play there in a pinch obviously but that's not his spot. There are TOO many guys at the 3 and 4 for him to get substantial minutes.

In all honesty, how many minutes do you guys think he is going to get this year?

Christmas is a forward through and through. Roberson doesn't really have the skill set to be a 3, I mean he can play there in a pinch obviously but that's not his spot. There are TOO many guys at the 3 and 4 for him to get substantial minutes.

In all honesty, how many minutes do you guys think he is going to get this year?

Rak is a 5 nno matter where he is playing IMO>
Agree Tyler is a 4 that could play the 3 if needed.
Minutes at the forward spots
Rak 5
CJ 34
JG 26
TR 13
Maybe the remaining 2 minutes to Rak or MikeG

Rak is a 5 nno matter where he is playing IMO>
Agree Tyler is a 4 that could play the 3 if needed.
Minutes at the forward spots
Rak 5
CJ 34
JG 26
TR 13
Maybe the remaining 2 minutes to Rak or MikeG

I see Grant getting more than 26 this year, probably up around at the 30 mark. If that happens you take 4 from somewhere else, not taking Rak's because he is going to get them starting the game at the 4, CJ below 34 would be a travesty, so they would obviously be taken from TR which would bring him down to 9 which brings my 6-8 minutes pretty darn close. I'm not doubting Roberson's abilities and I wish people would stop looking at my posts as such, but we are CRAZY DEEP at the 4 this year with lots of capable guys including 2 guys who will probably be in the NBA within 2 years ahead of him.

I really didn't think you were crazy, but this post.....wow.
He is a natural 3. Don't tell me you watched full games of him if you haven't see that.
In high school, played 3 through 5, but his offensive game?
Have you not seen him take guys off the dribble, between his legs, full court and dish to a smaller guy?
Bomb from deep?
He has banked deep shots off the glass on purpose! Both CJ and Grant might not have had such complete offensive games inside and out, and I love their games.

Not just highlight videos. That he has a great post-up game doesn't mean he's not all over the court offensively.
I am not calling you crazy. Not even calling your posts crazy.
But I am convinced that either you have not really sat down and watched him play or you are the reincarnation of one of 3 other recent people I had to ignore. Some of what you post looks like its really trying for tension.

I really didn't think you were crazy, but this post.....wow.
He is a natural 3. Don't tell me you watched full games of him if you haven't see that.
In high school, played 3 through 5, but his offensive game?
Have you not seen him take guys off the dribble, between his legs, full court and dish to a smaller guy?
Bomb from deep?
He has banked deep shots off the glass on purpose! Both CJ and Grant might not have had such complete offensive games inside and out, and I love their games.

Not just highlight videos. That he has a great post-up game doesn't mean he's not all over the court offensively.
I am not calling you crazy. Not even calling your posts crazy.
But I am convinced that either you have not really sat down and watched him play or you are the reincarnation of one of 3 other recent people I had to ignore. Some of what you post looks like its really trying for tension.
Where do you see Roberson fitting into the rotation this year? I really can't wait to see him play, just very curious as to how much of him we will get to see.

Where do you see Roberson fitting into the rotation this year? I really can't wait to see him play, just very curious as to how much of him we will get to see.
To me, he will play both forward positions, but has the skillset of a SF. He has a decent chance to get substantial minutes in real games. He will get more minutes than people think. I think that he only plays behind CJ and Grant at the forward positions, that Rak and anyone else get few minutes at the 4.

Agreed...he'll get the token starter spot at the 4, but play the bulk of his minutes at the 5, where we'll be a 3-headed monster. There will also primarily be a 3-headed monster at the 4 (outside of Rak's token 4 start). My question is will we have a 3-headed monster at the 2 as well?
Agree with this. RC doesn't have much of a perimeter game and isn't very effective offensively at the 4, though he showed some signs of competence at the high post (principally passing it down low) in Canada that were very encouraging. He is making progress there but Roberson is so good, it is going to be hard for JB to play RC much at the 4.

I think in big games/conference play, RC and Keita will split most of the time at the center position, and DC2's playing time will ultimately get affected by the emergence of Roberson more than anyone else on the team. Coleman might well end up as the starter who get substituted for almost immediately each half in big games.

I just have to say, of the six new faces we have in the rotation this year and as much as I can't wait to see how Ennis does, the player that I'm most excited about seeing is Roberson.

I am hoping we're done with the token starter concept. If Rak deserves time at the 4 start him and give him run, if he doesn't deserve run than don't start him.

There are too many players on this roster that deserve playing time at the 4/5 position to f around with a token starter who can't earn anything beyond the token start.

I am hoping we're done with the token starter concept. If Rak deserves time at the 4 start him and give him run, if he doesn't deserve run than don't start him.

There are too many players on this roster that deserve playing time at the 4/5 position to f around with a token starter who can't earn anything beyond the token start.
Totally disagree with disgarding the token starter concept. Especially this year. The token starter concept improves subsitution and allows for easier playing of depth. Just what is needed in a loaded front court.

SU has 3 non-frosh centers. If restricted to just playing center they would have to split just 40 minutes. If Rak can get some time at the 4, the combined minutes allowed for those 3 increases.

Agree with this. RC doesn't have much of a perimeter game and isn't very effective offensively at the 4, though he showed some signs of competence at the high post (principally passing it down low) in Canada that were very encouraging. He is making progress there but Roberson is so good, it is going to be hard for JB to play RC much at the 4.

I think in big games/conference play, RC and Keita will split most of the time at the center position, and DC2's playing time will ultimately get affected by the emergence of Roberson more than anyone else on the team. Coleman might well end up as the starter who get substituted for almost immediately each half in big games.

To me the main question is how many minutes Rak/DC get period in games that matter. Pre-conference I'd imagine we'll see rak get some minutes at the 4 and Coleman get some decent run. But come ACC time, it's hard to imagine JB taking Grant or Fair out very often regardless of the scenario. I also think we're at the point where Keita is likely to see a minimum of 20 mins in those game. So if you give a few minutes to Roberson as the primary sub at F and then figure there will be plenty of nights that Keita sees 25+ mins, I just don't think there's a ton left to spread around.

If I were guessing I'd say Rak is in the 11-14 mpg range in games that matter. A few games with extended run where he's playing well and a few games where he's at 4-5 mins with Keita playing for extended stretches. The one caveat is if Rak legitimately makes some strides, which he could. Either way, he's at the 5 and he's going to have to fight for every minute he gets.

Just a prediction, I think Rak will find his shot easier agianst pf's this year. Rak has played against centers, he understands shot blockers in the paint and when the double is coming, and he has 2-3 inches,30 plus pounds, seniority(which helps in this particular case) and probably a better standing verticle then any of our other forwards. Against slower centers he could probably thrive some but he has a height advantage,will matchup against physical contact from forwards better one on one, and really stepped up his speed. imo hes developing a Carmelo like first step when he isn't bodied.

He can get by his man at pf much easier then rick jackson who used a backdown but shot more after rolling around them then hook shoting over them. I would even venture to say he could get by his man better then Hakim Warrick. I am not saying he will finish like warrick, but I think he will prove he can get by his man very solidly. When a big has a dribbling skill like that you push and push with him never giving up. Rak was trying to run transition isolation in the post in canada, haven't seen him go to the slower old fashioned bump and roll game. If he learns to do both and finish with both hands going both direcions he could be a better midpost scorer then even arinze because he can go fast or slow, and face up his man. But, hes got a long long way to go, and that would be wishfull thinking. But for a righty with the left handed dribble he has I think his offensive ceiling has all of a sudden became really high if he finds a 8 foot natural layup touch with both hands, and learns to make defenders try to push him one direction.

Last edited:
There is a good chance this teams best players could be in a order something like
1. CJ
2. Grant
3. Ennis
tied 4th and 5th Rak (who doubled keita, cooney, gbinije and nearly dajuan in net points for the canada trip was second behind grant)
tied 4th and 5th Roberson
And there is a chance dajuan keita could both be 6th and 7th.

Sometimes I just want to say F It and sacrifice a tiny bit of 2g defense for offense.
There was a time when people on here would say play your best players, I know me and alaska recently have said that. Even if BJ(I love his jumpshot right now he has different heights on his arc) or Ron show they are worthy 2g's, keep that in mind.

There is a good chance this teams best players could be in a order something like
1. CJ
2. Grant
3. Ennis
tied 4th and 5th Rak (who doubled keita, cooney, gbinije and nearly dajuan in net points for the canada trip was second behind grant)
tied 4th and 5th Roberson
And there is a chance dajuan keita could both be 6th and 7th.

Sometimes I just want to say F It and sacrifice a tiny bit of 2g defense for offense.
There was a time when people on here would say play your best players, I know me and alaska recently have said that. Even if BJ(I love his jumpshot right now he has different heights on his arc) or Ron show they are worthy 2g's, keep that in mind.

It may not show this year due to the logjam, but Roberson is the most talented on the team. I love CJ and Grant and they will both be pro's. But I bet if the NBA draft were tomorrow and the 3 entered the draft, Roberson would be picked before CJ or Grant. We are loaded at forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To me the main question is how many minutes Rak/DC get period in games that matter. Pre-conference I'd imagine we'll see rak get some minutes at the 4 and Coleman get some decent run. But come ACC time, it's hard to imagine JB taking Grant or Fair out very often regardless of the scenario. I also think we're at the point where Keita is likely to see a minimum of 20 mins in those game. So if you give a few minutes to Roberson as the primary sub at F and then figure there will be plenty of nights that Keita sees 25+ mins, I just don't think there's a ton left to spread around.

If I were guessing I'd say Rak is in the 11-14 mpg range in games that matter. A few games with extended run where he's playing well and a few games where he's at 4-5 mins with Keita playing for extended stretches. The one caveat is if Rak legitimately makes some strides, which he could. Either way, he's at the 5 and he's going to have to fight for every minute he gets.

Frankly it depends on two things in my mind which guy gets the most burn at the 5 when it matters.

Did Coleman's defense improve drastically? He's our most natural offensive threat there, if he is no longer a defensive liability and quite possibly a trustworthy guy, he will get the run.

Did Rak develop an offensive game? He was our best weapon at either end of the floor, when he played with energy he was fun to watch. If his offense improves to the point where he can legit earn touches, it will be him no doubts.

If the answer to both questions is No, Keita will get the most burn. If the answer to both questions is yes... Then it will be whoever has the hot hand that gets the burn that night

Sometimes, it feels good to admit when you might be wrong.
Let's see who's man enough.

I will have no problem eating crow if I'm wrong, I'll also give you the props when you're proven right. Unfortunately we are going to have to wait for the season to start and some games to be played. :)

I would like to fast-forward to Oct 18 when we get to see these guys go against each other to provide us with some reasonable points of reference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom