Rak | Syracusefan.com

Rak

jdubs30

Living Legend
According to his twitter he's been having 6am workouts all week with Coleman and Cavanaugh, and he was in the gym this morning with Ennis.

Looks like he's staying.

Good to see him working on his game too, hopefully he can be a beast next year.

According to his twitter he's been having 6am workouts all week with Coleman and Cavanaugh, and he was in the gym this morning with Ennis.

Looks like he's staying.

Good to see him working on his game too, hopefully he can be a beast next year.

It is great to see the big guys in the gym working on their game. I especially like hearing that he was working out with Ennis. If they can get a connection going it will only improve both of their games.

IMO, when Rak got time on the court, he was our best rebounder, especially defensively. Rebounding out of the zone is much easier for forwards than centers, and I thought there were games when he grabbed the ball out of the air with ferocity. Loved the intensity.

He could be an x-factor next year. Unfortunately, we said that last year too. Love that he is working hard.

IMO, when Rak got time on the court, he was our best rebounder, especially defensively. Rebounding out of the zone is much easier for forwards than centers, and I thought there were games when he grabbed the ball out of the air with ferocity. Loved the intensity.

He could be an x-factor next year. Unfortunately, we said that last year too. Love that he is working hard.
If only we could combine BMK's motor with Rak's ability.

Like CJ's (and Baye's, per Gabjon edit) return, Rak's gives JB quality depth. Whether he starts next to DC2 at PF, or comes in at C, I think will depend on how well DC2 matures, matchups and Rak's activity level. At the end of the season, he was starting to explode, at least defensively.

The problem is, having Rak and DC2 as twin towers looks good, but last year it didn't give us much offense. Grant actually seemed to bring a little more scoring.

Having so much depth in the front court creates lots of "problems". Does JB go with:

C - Dc2 - Baye (edit courtesy gabjon)
PF - Rak
SF - CJ

or

C- Rak / DC2 - baye
PF - Grant
SF - CJ

In the first rotation, Grant and Rak could trade minutes. Either way, Roberson will earn minutes backing up CJ, and a third option (CJ at PF) would allow Roberson to play the 3 -- which may be desirable if Roberson's offense is as good as advertised.

LOADED ...

M1A1_abrams_tank_5.jpg

Like CJ's return, Rak's gives JB quality depth. Whether he starts next to DC2 at PF, or comes in at C, I think will depend on matchups and his activity level. At the end of the season, he was starting to explode, at least defensively.

The problem is, having Rak and DC2 as twin towers looks good, but last year it didn't give us much offense. Grant actually seemed to bring a little more scoring.

Having so much depth in the front court creates lots of "problems". Does JB go with:

C - Dc2
PF - Rak
SF - CJ

or

C- Rak
PF - Grant
SF - CJ

In the first rotation, Grant and Rak could trade minutes. Either way, Roberson will earn minutes backing up CJ, and a third option (CJ at PF) would allow Roberson to play the 3 -- which may be desirable if Roberson's offense is as good as advertised.

LOADED ...

View attachment 3586
And where is Baye in all of this?

I think Rak and Coleman will both start again this season.

I think that ship has sailed. Rak and DC had enough trouble being able to hold things down at the center position. They have a lot of improving to do just to be good in that area. Asking either of them to be functional as forwards in this system is a stretch at this time in their careers. We know Fair will start, and Grant has demonstrated that he is a superior option at the forward spot.

Rak just needs to feel comfortable in the offensive sets. He makes a big difference on defense. Coleman, on the other hand, needs to learn his defensive position better. He is more advanced offensively. Every player has different growth potential from year to year. We've seen Centers that couldn't score a lick as frosh and sophomores who blow up as Juniors and Seniors. The world of one and dones is a special one. Coach knew that he had special freshman who were ready to play when Carmelo and GMac came into practice and showed their ability and knowledge of the game. This is a rarity. Let's enjoy the 4 year process that it might take Coleman and Rak. I'm certainly pleased that we could have them for this many years.

Go Cuse!

I think that ship has sailed. Rak and DC had enough trouble being able to hold things down at the center position. They have a lot of improving to do just to be good in that area. Asking either of them to be functional as forwards in this system is a stretch at this time in their careers. We know Fair will start, and Grant has demonstrated that he is a superior option at the forward spot.

True. But that might lead to Grant coming off the bench, filling the role of the super scoring sub [Southerland, Waiters, KJ, Scoop].

Lots of flexibility. Competition for frontcourt playing time will be intense.

I agree with EastCoast2. DC and Rak will both start. How much PT they get or how quickly they get the hook will depend greatly upon their individual improvement. Rak is a poor communicator (not good if playing center of the zone) but has the tools to excel at the 4. JB's plan has been for him to be a PF all along. DC was, simply put, not ready for college ball nor the center responsibilities of the zone last year. I think DC and Keita will have a pretty equal share of minutes at center this coming year and Rak had better take advantage of these 6am workouts or he'll be looking over his shoulder at Grant checking in at the scorers table, early and often.

I agree with EastCoast2. DC and Rak will both start. How much PT they get or how quickly they get the hook will depend greatly upon their individual improvement. Rak is poor communicator (not good if playing center of the zone) but has the tools to excel at the 4. JB's plan has been for him to be a PF all along. DC was, simply put, not ready for college ball nor the center responsibilities of the zone last year. I think DC and Keita will have a pretty equal share of minutes at center this coming year and Rak had better take advantage of these 6am workouts or he'll be looking over his shoulder at Grant checking in at the scorers table, early and often.

If Ricky can play the 4 Rak definitely can. Next years team will be interesting if we shoot the ball well watch out!

Let's develop Coleman into the primary low post scorer. I want to see a drop step, a much more amateur "dream-shake" type move. Remember, he's undersized. He won't be dunking on people consistently, which is why footwork is so important. I've said it before and I'll say it again- he needs to model his game off Zach Randolph.

I think that although it may not have worked in the past, JB will certainly be considering doing it again. The reason is because he will have 3 good centers, who are experienced. If JB wants to give Rak, DC2, and BMK good minutes he will need to find more than just the 40 available at the center.

If Rak is at center the backup to Grant and CJ then becomes a frosh - probably Roberson. So the decision to start Rak at pf could be based on getting minutes to BMK over Roberson.

Third, if Rak starts JB will have more offensive firepower to turn to on the bench - Grant > Rak for offense. JB has started to like this concept.

Grant starts and roberson also plays. We have 3 centers and they will all be good. Bringing different things to the table.
I think this is the key.
Starting really doesn't matter and I think every single one of these guys know that. Making quality out of each of their minutes, and making big plays is all they should care about. I think that's what last year was all about. They want to win the whole thing and each will do whatever it takes, for however few minutes they're on the court.

I have a feeling they know that visibility is there when they make it far in the tourney. More importantly, we are bringing in winners (all have won a chip in HS) and considering how far we went, we already have winners on this team.

SUball

I think this is the key.
Starting really doesn't matter and I think every single one of these guys know that. Making quality out of each of their minutes, and making big plays is all they should care about. I think that's what last year was all about. They want to win the whole thing and each will do whatever it takes, for however few minutes they're on the court.

I have a feeling they know that visibility is there when they make it far in the tourney. More importantly, we are bringing in winners (all have won a chip in HS) and considering how far we went, we already have winners on this team.

SUball

"Starting definitely doesn't matter"

Signed,
Fab freshman year, DC freshman year, Rak freshman year

"Starting definitely doesn't matter"

Signed,
Fab freshman year, DC freshman year, Rak freshman year
I think it's all an agreement they might have had with coach.
In the grand scheme of things, did any of those guys matter as freshmen? Zip.
Which is exactly my point. Doesn't matter. Quality of minutes for the guys that contributed matter.

Your Friend,
Dion ;)

If Ricky can play the 4 Rak definitely can. Next years team will be interesting if we shoot the ball well watch out!
How do you figure? Ricky was a much more gifted offensive player than Rak.

I agree with EastCoast2. DC and Rak will both start. How much PT they get or how quickly they get the hook will depend greatly upon their individual improvement. Rak is a poor communicator (not good if playing center of the zone) but has the tools to excel at the 4. JB's plan has been for him to be a PF all along. DC was, simply put, not ready for college ball nor the center responsibilities of the zone last year. I think DC and Keita will have a pretty equal share of minutes at center this coming year and Rak had better take advantage of these 6am workouts or he'll be looking over his shoulder at Grant checking in at the scorers table, early and often.

I'll pose the same question that I asked of gj. Rak has shown very little offensive ability. In this program, that type of guy is not well-suited to play much at the 4. He had indeed been targeted as a 4 when recruited, but he has a long way to go to be able to actually play it with any regularity at SU.

Although Rak had more rebounds per minutes played (.22 vs. .20), I think that CJ is the best natural rebounder on the team, followed closely by Grant.

Rak has the physical ability to be the best rebounder on the team; he does not, IMO, have the natural basketball instincts to do so.

And where is Baye in all of this?
Another "problem"? lol. Ok, fixed by edit. And Baye's quality play in the NCAA's makes it less likely, IMO, that Rak will log major minutes at center, especially if DC2 takes the step up that we all expect as a soph. I think we'll see Rak more at PF, with Grant backing up, and CJ Roberson trading at the 3. Wow.

I love Baye, but if his playing time is limited, it's because Rak and DC are playing well. And I'm all for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom