random observations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

random observations

From what you've seen where would he go? I can't see him leaving, by his choice, for anything less than a top 20 OC role.
Im pretty sure he is building his own top 20 OC role here over the next few years. Specially since the dome is BUILT for an Elite offense/kicking game, just ask the Rams

Was Doug Womack the TX QB you were thinking of? I remember they eventually put him in at CB to blitz an get after the QB. The other TX QB was Marc MacDonald, but I don't think hats who you meant.
Fantastic yes Womack thank you so much

I think you might be referring to Antonio "Big Cat" Anderson. He was enormous.
Bingo you guys are great yes it was Anderson and i believe he was from NYC not sure though but he was a big boy

Honestly, is every coach interested in an Ohio State coaching job? I don't think I would be. HCSS could take this program to great heights and be a much greater legend for doing so. Were he to jump ship to a top ten program then the expectations would be ridiculous. I just don't see how the calculation is in favor of making the jump.

I guess the question will be, can we pay him enough to be a top 20 OC in Syracuse.

I have to say though that the cost of living other than property taxes her is ridiculously cheap. I would rather make XXX dollars here that the same money and have to live in NYC, Chicago, LA, Etc., etc.

Coaches are like capital - they go where they are needed and stay where they are well treated.

What a day for football perfect and what a great turn out.
Best organized event by SU in a long time.
Im sticking with my prediction that AAM is going to kill it this year. Kid looks great
Still like Wilson as the 2 not sure why he doesnt get more run
OL is the best unit on the team and may be our best OL in ten years
Frosh look really solid some future studs across the board Thomas and Franklin really look the part cant wait to see how these two progress with a few years in the program
Long reminds me of a QB we had years ago from TX little kid who could run like the wind but couldnt pass.
If Williams continues to get in shape he is going to become a force
Norton looks good Dixon is a weapon
Both frosh DT's look the part
D Ward is a Monster just a huge person i cant ever remember a bigger Syracuse player although years ago we had a DT that was really big and tall forget his name but this kid is as big as a house
R Williams is going to play in the NFL
Everyone can run
Dont worry about star rankings our coaches have an eye for talent
If we stay healthy we are going to surprise some of the big boys this year.
Lock up HCSS he is special
Cant wait for the 29th!!
Whole-hardheartedly agree with most of this, especially the lock-up HCSS part! ND ands L'ville are the 2 "big boys" that I think may be most likely surprised. Duke is more likely a one hit wonder than a "big boy".

Is Wilson one of those kids who is just a gamer and not the best at drills as there is no doubt that he has the best and most accurate Arm on the team. If we want to stretch a D with the passing game i like him even better than Hunt. Kid can throw the ball and i truly believe that if Doug were still coaching he would be our next Ryan.

Stop with this stuff. Hunt will be the QB for the next two years except for garbage time.

Is Wilson one of those kids who is just a gamer and not the best at drills as there is no doubt that he has the best and most accurate Arm on the team. If we want to stretch a D with the passing game i like him even better than Hunt. Kid can throw the ball and i truly believe that if Doug were still coaching he would be our next Ryan.

Stop with this stuff. Hunt will be the QB for the next two years except for garbage time.
Hoping for a lot of garbage time because of Hunt :D

How is the running back situation looking? I see most people report on AAM but what about the players that will see most of the time? Unless I missed it I haven't seen much on how Morris looks so far this year?

How is the running back situation looking? I see most people report on AAM but what about the players that will see most of the time? Unless I missed it I haven't seen much on how Morris looks so far this year?

A whole bunch of good but great is still TBD. Sounds like Gulley primarily. AAM will get called on the get the tough yards. The 3 younger backs will be sprinkled in there. RB will be a team strength with depth.

Im rooting for him to be the back up chill

Regarding Shafer and long term stuff...

It's kind of funny, Marrone is the NYC guy, the former SU player, the guy who said SU was his dream job, while Shafer is the Midwestern guy who, before being hired by Marrone, had no connections to upstate NY. Yet when Shafer says he loves Syracuse and wants to be here, I believe him so very much more than I ever believed Marrone.

Shafer is just the genuine article. What you see is what you get, and he wears his heart on his sleeve. If this program gets any kind of success, we could be looking at a 25 year career at the helm, I think. I honestly don't know that he'd bolt. He really seems like the kind of guy who once he finds a place he loves, stays there.

I don't know, I don't necessarily disagree with you but it's hard to compare the two really. Shafer's been a good quality football coach but he'll never have the pedigree DM did that made him attractive to a bunch of NFL teams. That's a pretty big attraction for any coach. Is shafer more sincere? i don't know but he certainly doesn't have the options, which makes it a bit easier to remain loyal.

Which of the true freshman do we think play this year?

I'll go Ishmael, Franklin, Harvey, and Rodney Williams. Maybe one more WR and CB.
Don't see Williams playing. We have Esk, D. Kelly, Desir, and Scissum. Wayne can also play a bit of safety if needed. On special teams maybe but I'd rather just redshirt him.

I don't think SU will ever be able to "lock up" a football coach. We are not one of the factory programs. Do you really believe that he wouldn't take the Ohio State job regardless of how much we are paying him.

The only way to keep him is to improve his quality of life to the highest possible level so that he doesn't want to leave, regardless of the dollars. Fan turnout, facilities, and keeping Missy and family happy.
When is the last time SU has lost a HC to another university? Biggie Munn?

Don't see Williams playing. We have Esk, D. Kelly, Desir, and Scissum. Wayne can also play a bit of safety if needed. On special teams maybe but I'd rather just redshirt him.

The way the coaches have been talking about him, I can't see how he doesn't play special teams.

Honestly, is every coach interested in an Ohio State coaching job? I don't think I would be. HCSS could take this program to great heights and be a much greater legend for doing so. Were he to jump ship to a top ten program then the expectations would be ridiculous. I just don't see how the calculation is in favor of making the jump.
I don't know about every coach, but I'll bet a Coke that HCSS would be.

He grew up in Ohio, played high school football in Painesville OH, was QB at Ohio University and then Baldwin-Wallace College (now University) in Berea, Ohio. His wife is from Ohio and (I believe) his widowed mother is still there. His OSU salary would be probably four times that of Syracuse.

New Yorkers don't understand this, but boys growing up in football states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. dream of playing for their flagship university if they're good enough. Penn State's recruiting of PA athletes did not drop off even during the worst of the Sandusky scandal.

Yeah, I think he would take it if the timing is right for his family.

He grew up in Ohio, played high school football in Painesville OH, was QB at Ohio University and then Baldwin-Wallace College (now University) in Berea, Ohio. His wife is from Ohio and (I believe) his widowed mother is still there. His OSU salary would be probably four times that of Syracuse.

New Yorkers don't understand this, but boys growing up in football states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. dream of playing for their flagship university if they're good enough. Penn State's recruiting of PA athletes did not drop off even during the worst of the Sandusky scandal.

I grew up in Ohio (teen years and on), played in Ohio in HS (no. 1 team in the state in our division), went to college in Ohio, but would coach SU over tOSU any day of the week. I was in Ohio at a friend's house cheering on SU over OSU in the Hall of Fame game in '91.

Also, he could probably double the pay for all of his assistants. I'm pretty sure that he would find that hard to turn down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom