random observations | Syracusefan.com

random observations

kcsu

Living Legend
What a day for football perfect and what a great turn out.
Best organized event by SU in a long time.
Im sticking with my prediction that AAM is going to kill it this year. Kid looks great
Still like Wilson as the 2 not sure why he doesnt get more run
OL is the best unit on the team and may be our best OL in ten years
Frosh look really solid some future studs across the board Thomas and Franklin really look the part cant wait to see how these two progress with a few years in the program
Long reminds me of a QB we had years ago from TX little kid who could run like the wind but couldnt pass.
If Williams continues to get in shape he is going to become a force
Norton looks good Dixon is a weapon
Both frosh DT's look the part
D Ward is a Monster just a huge person i cant ever remember a bigger Syracuse player although years ago we had a DT that was really big and tall forget his name but this kid is as big as a house
R Williams is going to play in the NFL
Everyone can run
Dont worry about star rankings our coaches have an eye for talent
If we stay healthy we are going to surprise some of the big boys this year.
Lock up HCSS he is special
Cant wait for the 29th!!

Agree about Wilson-He looked really good in his limited Reps. Hope he gets some reps with the 2's

A couple of more.. West looks to be in the best shape since he got to Syracuse seems like a man out there. Custis has to have the most promise of any WR that we have had on the Hill in a very long time. Kid is a beast and a very fluid one at that. Has the Lebron look you know the one that has you scratching your head wondering if he came out of the womb looking like he was 25 and shaving. There is a reason that the SEC is so good it is because of Southern players. They have a swagger and confidence about them that is beyond their years. You can see it in our DT's hope we keep landing kids from GA. Is Wilson one of those kids who is just a gamer and not the best at drills as there is no doubt that he has the best and most accurate Arm on the team. If we want to stretch a D with the passing game i like him even better than Hunt. Kid can throw the ball and i truly believe that if Doug were still coaching he would be our next Ryan. New RB has some wiggle and speed. Looks really thin but seems tough as heck has an amazing first step. Esk is going to make some major bank next year enjoy him this year as baring injury will be his last. Program has a big time feel about it. ACC, Staff, Fields, IPF, just seems like we are in the big leagues again and boy does it feel good. Oh last point Lock up Shafer and dont worry about the wins and loses this year as with him they will come and once they do they will always be there. The guy has the formula especially for Syracuse he is in my opinion as good a fit as we will ever get. Also i really like the Lester. I remember when we were all surprised that Jake selected Paul to be our HC moving him up from a LB coaching position. It would take major balls but if Shaf were to leave i would strongly consider Lester as our next HC guy seems to have it. I cant wait for this season!

I have no confidence with this administration in recognizing when it is the right time to lock a head coach up and with offering a contract that is worth "locking a coach up." Not saying now is the right time, I have no idea but neither does the Syracuse administration. Worry that this is far down a priority list.

If this was a basketball issue though, Syracuse would be on top of it. Ugh.

A couple of more.. West looks to be in the best shape since he got to Syracuse seems like a man out there. Custis has to have the most promise of any WR that we have had on the Hill in a very long time. Kid is a beast and a very fluid one at that. Has the Lebron look you know the one that has you scratching your head wondering if he came out of the womb looking like he was 25 and shaving. There is a reason that the SEC is so good it is because of Southern players. They have a swagger and confidence about them that is beyond their years. You can see it in our DT's hope we keep landing kids from GA. Is Wilson one of those kids who is just a gamer and not the best at drills as there is no doubt that he has the best and most accurate Arm on the team. If we want to stretch a D with the passing game i like him even better than Hunt. Kid can throw the ball and i truly believe that if Doug were still coaching he would be our next Ryan. New RB has some wiggle and speed. Looks really thin but seems tough as heck has an amazing first step. Esk is going to make some major bank next year enjoy him this year as baring injury will be his last. Program has a big time feel about it. ACC, Staff, Fields, IPF, just seems like we are in the big leagues again and boy does it feel good. Oh last point Lock up Shafer and dont worry about the wins and loses this year as with him they will come and once they do they will always be there. The guy has the formula especially for Syracuse he is in my opinion as good a fit as we will ever get. Also i really like the Lester. I remember when we were all surprised that Jake selected Paul to be our HC moving him up from a LB coaching position. It would take major balls but if Shaf were to leave i would strongly consider Lester as our next HC guy seems to have it. I cant wait for this season!

My only issue with T. Hunt is his ability to stretch the defense with the long ball - I just don't see him having that ability.

I suspect that Shafer is here for a long time.

And, I agree, SU Football is back to where it should be and I think the public senses that - that explains why so many showed for the Fan Fest and why I think we will sell some tickets this fall.

Can't wait for the 29th!!

My only issue with T. Hunt is his ability to stretch the defense with the long ball - I just don't see him having that ability.

I suspect that Shafer is here for a long time.

And, I agree, SU Football is back to where it should be and I think the public senses that - that explains why so many showed for the Fan Fest and why I think we will sell some tickets this fall.

Can't wait for the 29th!!
He threw the ball much better yesterday then last year, but did under throw Broyld on one deep ball.

Great info thanks.
I really like Wilson as well. I am afraid that having the best arm is not what will count in the new offense. We'll see.

I wonder if McDonald will even be here when it comes time to replace Hunt.

Only got to see bits and pieces cause I was stuck being Mr. Mom but what I saw was very good. O-line looks awesome, they've all clearly worked very hard in the weight room and there is a different intensity in the play of that group. Very impressed with Palmer, but to me the standout of the group was Ivan Foy. I was very critical of him last year, kid looks like a changed man...rockin' the 1000 mile stare and playing much lower, moving much better laterally. Also very impressed with the freshmen across the board but holy Zaire Franklin! Vicious in pursuit, it just seemed like he was everywhere all the time...and that hit he put on McFarlane was unreal. Ishmael also stood out to me, kid seems like he will literally catch anything that comes near him and he can already turn and burn. All in all, very encouraging showing...absolutely cannot wait for this season!

What a day for football perfect and what a great turn out.
Best organized event by SU in a long time.
Im sticking with my prediction that AAM is going to kill it this year. Kid looks great
Still like Wilson as the 2 not sure why he doesnt get more run
OL is the best unit on the team and may be our best OL in ten years
Frosh look really solid some future studs across the board Thomas and Franklin really look the part cant wait to see how these two progress with a few years in the program
Long reminds me of a QB we had years ago from TX little kid who could run like the wind but couldnt pass.
If Williams continues to get in shape he is going to become a force
Norton looks good Dixon is a weapon
Both frosh DT's look the part
D Ward is a Monster just a huge person i cant ever remember a bigger Syracuse player although years ago we had a DT that was really big and tall forget his name but this kid is as big as a house
R Williams is going to play in the NFL
Everyone can run
Dont worry about star rankings our coaches have an eye for talent
If we stay healthy we are going to surprise some of the big boys this year.
Lock up HCSS he is special
Cant wait for the 29th!!

Thanks for all the observations, kc. Some good stuff in there.

Oh last point Lock up Shafer and dont worry about the wins and loses this year as with him they will come and once they do they will always be there. The guy has the formula especially for Syracuse

I think you nailed it with this. Marrone may have had 3 notebooks filled with self-instruction on how he was going to coach the Orange, but it seems like Shafer has a friggin' library full!

Was Doug Womack the TX QB you were thinking of? I remember they eventually put him in at CB to blitz an get after the QB. The other TX QB was Marc MacDonald, but I don't think hats who you meant.

I think you might be referring to Antonio "Big Cat" Anderson. He was enormous.

Last edited:
It seems like having this event on Saturday instead of Friday afternoon really helped attendance. There was a buzz in the air. One thing that stood out to me is the size of our freshman linebackers. They are big and really like to hit. All four of them are going to be big time players. The offensive line is going to be very good. The put a wall up around Hunt whenever he dropped back to pass. West looks like a totally different player. He looks quicker and more athletic and Hunt really looks to him. The key will be if our defensive line can stop the run.

Only got to see bits and pieces cause I was stuck being Mr. Mom but what I saw was very good. O-line looks awesome, they've all clearly worked very hard in the weight room and there is a different intensity in the play of that group. Very impressed with Palmer, but to me the standout of the group was Ivan Foy. I was very critical of him last year, kid looks like a changed man...rockin' the 1000 mile stare and playing much lower, moving much better laterally. Also very impressed with the freshmen across the board but holy Zaire Franklin! Vicious in pursuit, it just seemed like he was everywhere all the time...and that hit he put on McFarlane was unreal. Ishmael also stood out to me, kid seems like he will literally catch anything that comes near him and he can already turn and burn. All in all, very encouraging showing...absolutely cannot wait for this season!

I thought Foy made progress last year. Good to hear he's building off that.

Regarding Shafer and long term stuff...

It's kind of funny, Marrone is the NYC guy, the former SU player, the guy who said SU was his dream job, while Shafer is the Midwestern guy who, before being hired by Marrone, had no connections to upstate NY. Yet when Shafer says he loves Syracuse and wants to be here, I believe him so very much more than I ever believed Marrone.

Shafer is just the genuine article. What you see is what you get, and he wears his heart on his sleeve. If this program gets any kind of success, we could be looking at a 25 year career at the helm, I think. I honestly don't know that he'd bolt. He really seems like the kind of guy who once he finds a place he loves, stays there.

I wonder if McDonald will even be here when it comes time to replace Hunt.
From what you've seen where would he go? I can't see him leaving, by his choice, for anything less than a top 20 OC role.

I have no confidence with this administration in recognizing when it is the right time to lock a head coach up and with offering a contract that is worth "locking a coach up." Not saying now is the right time, I have no idea but neither does the Syracuse administration. Worry that this is far down a priority list.

If this was a basketball issue though, Syracuse would be on top of it. Ugh.
I don't think SU will ever be able to "lock up" a football coach. We are not one of the factory programs. Do you really believe that he wouldn't take the Ohio State job regardless of how much we are paying him.

The only way to keep him is to improve his quality of life to the highest possible level so that he doesn't want to leave, regardless of the dollars. Fan turnout, facilities, and keeping Missy and family happy.

I don't think SU will ever be able to "lock up" a football coach. We are not one of the factory programs. Do you really believe that he wouldn't take the Ohio State job regardless of how much we are paying him.

The only way to keep him is to improve his quality of life to the highest possible level so that he doesn't want to leave, regardless of the dollars. Fan turnout, facilities, and keeping Missy and family happy.
Idk, Michigan was a rude awakening for him.

Which of the true freshman do we think play this year?

I'll go Ishmael, Franklin, Harvey, and Rodney Williams. Maybe one more WR and CB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom