Randoms... | Syracusefan.com

Randoms...

All4SU

Duos Cultores Scientia Coronat et Go Aureum
1. The B1G demonstrated previously that there top priority was not in expanding in the Northeast. They pursued Nebraska. I believe that they would have offered Missouri if they had not gone SEC.

2. The B1G has always had their eyes on ND. ND was always option 1. But when it was clear that ND would align with the ACC -- despite years of overtures by the B1G -- they moved on to option 3.

3. Everyone (even those folks here) knew RU would get picked up eventually. Like most here, I thought it would after Louisville and possibly after UConn. So good for Buttgers. They have a seat at the big boy table.

4. The real losers here are those remaining BE teams who are on the outside looking in -- as has always been the case. Nervous times right now at UConn, Cincy, USF. Not so much Louisville, as I stil believe they are on somebody's clock.

5. The western teams who have thrown their collective hats into the Big East $#!#storm have to be pissed right now. I just cannot imagine their decisions will hold. Why do it?

6. Maryland's decision is a shame. I was looking forward to renewing our rivalry with them. But ultimately, I don't think it impacts the ACC very much. I do not believe the ACC will be picked over, as some here want to insist. The Big12 was, and remains, the most vulnerable. If the P12 wants to expand -- and I believe they are likely thinking long and hard about it right now -- they have to look at the B12. They will be looking at Texas, Oklahoma, and a couple of add-ons. They will not be looking at Boise State, UNLV, New Mexico, et al. IF 16 is coming -- and perhaps even if the P12 becomes the P14 -- the B12 is dead...as dead as the Big East.

7. The SEC will make their play for Texas and Oklahoma. Those two schools will determine how this shakes out. The B1G will try for them too, but I don't think that will be in the cards.

BYU, SDSU and Boise reported this am in talks to rejoin the MWC. Essentially they will be the new super mid-major.

THE BIG EAST IS TOAST! THANKS PROVIDENCE.

8. People make too big a deal out of geography. If SU plays 6 games at home, and one game at Pitt, BC or Metlife annually, that's 7 games minimum being played in close proximity right here. If Buttgers plays 6 games at home, and one game at PSU or Maryland each year, that's 7 games in close proximity. They will not be traveling to Minnesota and Nebraska every game.

On point #1, Mizzou begged the B10 to take them. B10 was their no. 1 choice, SEC was a great consolation prize when it was clear the B10's priorities were east.

Yes they took Nebraska because it's a national football name/brand. But as Delaney said yesterday, there are very few of those available. After the national brands are off the table, the B10 is looking for markets for the BTN, in dense population centers. Which how we get to the point where a football team that was god awful for the first 150 years of its existence is pursued by the most powerful and wealthy conference in the country.

Plus Columbus, Chicago, Lafayette and Bloomington are easy drives as well.

1. The B1G demonstrated previously that there top priority was not in expanding in the Northeast. They pursued Nebraska. I believe that they would have offered Missouri if they had not gone SEC.

2. The B1G has always had their eyes on ND. ND was always option 1. But when it was clear that ND would align with the ACC -- despite years of overtures by the B1G -- they moved on to option 3.

3. Everyone (even those folks here) knew RU would get picked up eventually. Like most here, I thought it would after Louisville and possibly after UConn. So good for Buttgers. They have a seat at the big boy table.

4. The real losers here are those remaining BE teams who are on the outside looking in -- as has always been the case. Nervous times right now at UConn, Cincy, USF. Not so much Louisville, as I stil believe they are on somebody's clock.

5. The western teams who have thrown their collective hats into the Big East $#!#storm have to be pissed right now. I just cannot imagine their decisions will hold. Why do it?

6. Maryland's decision is a shame. I was looking forward to renewing our rivalry with them. But ultimately, I don't think it impacts the ACC very much. I do not believe the ACC will be picked over, as some here want to insist. The Big12 was, and remains, the most vulnerable. If the P12 wants to expand -- and I believe they are likely thinking long and hard about it right now -- they have to look at the B12. They will be looking at Texas, Oklahoma, and a couple of add-ons. They will not be looking at Boise State, UNLV, New Mexico, et al. IF 16 is coming -- and perhaps even if the P12 becomes the P14 -- the B12 is dead...as dead as the Big East.

7. The SEC will make their play for Texas and Oklahoma. Those two schools will determine how this shakes out. The B1G will try for them too, but I don't think that will be in the cards.
Good take and fair take. Only thing I disagree with is 7. I have family in OK and OU and Okie State are tied at the hip. The SEC could offer OU and OSU and UT would just go Independent like a Notre Dame South. However, good read of the situation I still believe Gecko Delany will take another ACC team to go with ND.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom