"Randy Edsall decries state of UConn football"... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"Randy Edsall decries state of UConn football"...

he must really want the money because I would want to hang it up rather than go back with my tail between my legs

Agree 100%, he should have stayed as an NFL assistant for another 4-5 years, coaches DB's for somebody and then retired. He looks really foolish at this point. If he wasn't so irrelevant at this point he would be a laughing stock. Have some self respect Randall. He leaves UCONN with a grease fire behind him and both middle fingers extended and 5 years later he is back looking to get rehired.

Now he is bitching that he inherited a dumpster fire. What a jerk. Like I said, he still thinks people care what he has to say

Is he wrong? He brought UConn from nothing and after his departure, no one was able to man up and mantain what he built. He didn't leave in the best way, so he doesn't have my sympathy there. Dino and Tim Lester have even said that SU didn't have ACC talent. Are they wrong for sharing that?

He should be thanking UCONN that he has a job at this point. He's a Class A unpolished turd

Is he wrong? He brought UConn from nothing and after his departure, no one was able to man up and mantain what he built. He didn't leave in the best way, so he doesn't have my sympathy there. Dino and Tim Lester have even said that SU didn't have ACC talent. Are they wrong for sharing that?
He is humble bragging and doesn’t say UConn got a golden ticket when they went from I-AA into a BCS league when their were midmajor I-A teams that didn’t get what UConn got.

Taking UConn out of the P5 is one of the biggest reasons they are where they are. Recruits aren’t going to pick UConn over SU/RU/BC/Pitt when those teams are in better leagues.

Edsall is pouting.

That's former Syracuse Quarterback Randy Edsall's son, thank you very much.

And Corey Edsall went to SU for one year, BFD. Not sure what you mean pointing out Randy played QB at SU.

He did a fine job neutralizing his playing legacy at SU after he was passed over for Coach P. I can see him melting down ala Fredo:

And Corey Edsall went to SU for one year, BFD. Not sure what you mean pointing out Randy played QB at SU.

He did a fine job neutralizing his playing legacy at SU after he was passed over for Coach P. I can see him melting down ala Fredo:

It was only a joke. I couldn't even remember the kid's name.

One thing Randy built that won’t be going away is his reputation as a jerk.

Has anyone seen the guy this year? Waaaaayyyy over-tanned, cheesy sunglasses - just the embodiment of a super-dooosh

I bet when he was on that plane to Maryland, he never in a million years thought he'd have to return to UCONN. If he'd have stayed, one could reasonably argue that UCONN gets in over Louisville in the ACC and both would be in a much better place.

His decision to leave might've changed the legacy of both the school and his own career.
Yes. Would much rather have "coastal-ish" UCONN than outlier Louisville in the conference. Edsall stays and maybe their entry becomes inevitable.

The funny thing is that in retrospect Edsall didn't do anything that his predecessor likely couldn't have done as well. Skip Holtz took over a lousy 1-AA program, made them a playoff team, and got them through their first year in 1-A. Holtz then went on to ECU and Louisian Tech, where in weak leagues he won ~8 games and made middling bowls. Sounds familiar, right?

Edsall was VERY fortunate to land in a Power 6 gig thanks to old Big East bylaws that let hoops schools upgrade at will. He took advantage of a situation, and there's nothing wrong with that. But it's also not like he turned around Northwestern and won a Rose Bowl either.

The balls on that guy.

Here’s a spoiler, the next coach will be decrying the state of the program too. Because Edsall sucks, as his disastrous stint in Maryland showed. Skip Holtz got the program on solid footing, Edsall took advantage of being in the worst “power conference” in history, and parlayed that into a big sham of a payday that unraveled when faced with real competition.

UConn should disband the football program and join the Big East. It’s best for everyone.

Agreed!

Disband the football program or go back to the Yankee Conference.

He is humble bragging and doesn’t say UConn got a golden ticket when they went from I-AA into a BCS league when their were midmajor I-A teams that didn’t get what UConn got.

Taking UConn out of the P5 is one of the biggest reasons they are where they are. Recruits aren’t going to pick UConn over SU/RU/BC/Pitt when those teams are in better leagues.

Edsall is pouting.

I'm sure the state of Connecticut pouring as much money and investing into the program set them far apart from other schools on the list. That's a reason the football team will not drop down to FCS or disband as some people suggest. Too much has been put into the program to quit now.

Again, I don't have sympathy for Edsall seeing that he bolted after their bowl game without even manning up to his players. It was a great opportunity that was too sweet to pass up. It didn't help that Maryland poisoned their relationship with fans, alumni and boosters by firing Friedgen. Had he stayed at UConn and kept them above .500, they'd likely be an ACC member school today and have the stability they are seeking.

The funny thing is that in retrospect Edsall didn't do anything that his predecessor likely couldn't have done as well. Skip Holtz took over a lousy 1-AA program, made them a playoff team, and got them through their first year in 1-A. Holtz then went on to ECU and Louisian Tech, where in weak leagues he won ~8 games and made middling bowls. Sounds familiar, right?

Edsall was VERY fortunate to land in a Power 6 gig thanks to old Big East bylaws that let hoops schools upgrade at will. He took advantage of a situation, and there's nothing wrong with that. But it's also not like he turned around Northwestern and won a Rose Bowl either.

An unprecedented advantage. No school has ever moved up from a lower division directly into a Power conference. And say what you will, but the old BE was a power conference circa late 90s. Uconn fans never understood that the school never had to pay their dues like Lville did. They just felt entitled. Bunch of self-important . Let their program die.

I'm sure the state of Connecticut pouring as much money and investing into the program set them far apart from other schools on the list. That's a reason the football team will not drop down to FCS or disband as some people suggest. Too much has been put into the program to quit now.

Again, I don't have sympathy for Edsall seeing that he bolted after their bowl game without even manning up to his players. It was a great opportunity that was too sweet to pass up. It didn't help that Maryland poisoned their relationship with fans, alumni and boosters by firing Friedgen. Had he stayed at UConn and kept them above .500, they'd likely be an ACC member school today and have the stability they are seeking.

I've mentioned this here before but it's worth repeating...

UConn had two chances to be invited to the ACC. First in the September 2011 expansion of SU and Pitt, and again in the November 2012 expansion that saw Louisville replace Maryland. Each time UConn was rejected.

Being somewhat better at football wasn't going to change the dynamics that were in place in both expansion situations. Getting a bid would have necessitated them having an Oregon or Baylor-like top 5 renaissance, and even that wouldn't have made it a lock.