Rank your top 10 players of the JB Era. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Rank your top 10 players of the JB Era.

take a minute to peruse those numbers above. not sure how you build a case that triche was better than jardine.
Triche was a better defender. Jardine was a better playmaker. They were similar in terms of offensive production, with Triche being a more reliable free throw shooter.

should have said that much better. remember also in terms of defense JB used to go with scoop come crunch time.
even though brandon triche was the superior ft shooter. even JB knew scoop was the more polished playmaker.

I don't want to do a full list. I get that Pearl put Syracuse on the map; Coleman was a generational talent (as was Owens IMO); Douglas pioneered the alley oop and was the all time assist leader, etc. I am a child of the 80's, of the Big East, of never fathoming for a second any school could be as loathed as Georgetown ... Just look at my screen name.

But how every list doesn't start with Carmelo Anthony is beyond me? Without him and the NCAA ring he won us, Boeheim never survives Bernie Fine and/or NCAA investigation #2. Not to mention he was quite simply the most complete and talented player who ever played for JB.

I don't want to do a full list. I get that Pearl put Syracuse on the map; Coleman was a generational talent (as was Owens IMO); Douglas pioneered the alley oop and was the all time assist leader, etc. I am a child of the 80's, of the Big East, of never fathoming for a second any school could be as loathed as Georgetown ... Just look at my screen name.

But how every list doesn't start with Carmelo Anthony is beyond me? Without him and the NCAA ring he won us, Boeheim never survives Bernie Fine and/or NCAA investigation #2. Not to mention he was quite simply the most complete and talented player who ever played for JB.

Agree with almost all of this (though we had a lot of team wins in which Anthony wasn't the MVP during the season and tournament too). But if we're playing the but-for game, Boeheim might not get the team to a national stage without his first two recruits, he might not have gotten the big recruiting bump without Pearl, and he might not have won enough games to get to the post-2001 resurgence without Wallace and Moten (but especially Wallace).

But it's no crazy stretch at all to say that Carmelo Anthony's the most talented and top player of the Boeheim era and call it a day.

If we are picking best season by a Syracuse player ever Melo is number 1. Wallace in 96 is 2.

Owens was pretty good in '91.

Agree he had very similar numbers to Melo/Wallace, but he has to get docked for the Richmond debacle right? Especially since part of the reason Richmond won was due to our lack of rebounding...

Agree he had very similar numbers to Melo/Wallace, but he has to get docked for the Richmond debacle right? Especially since part of the reason Richmond won was due to our lack of rebounding...
I thinking more of statistical dominance with Owens.

Reviewing this thread I have to say I am shocked by the lack of recognition given to Louis Orr. The 1979-1980 team was one of the best Syracuse teams ever. It was a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Orr was the best player on that team. He easily could have scored more than 20 points a game if Boeheim asked him to shoot more. He was a great rebounder and great defender. He shot 85% from the free throw line as a senior. His run from 77-80 was one of the best stretches in Boeheim's career. He was a first round draft choice and went on to be a good NBA player and certainly had one of the top 10 NBA careers of any Boeheim player. He was better than Warrick and Wallace. He is without question one of the top ten players to play for Boeheim.

Agree with almost all of this (though we had a lot of team wins in which Anthony wasn't the MVP during the season and tournament too). But if we're playing the but-for game, Boeheim might not get the team to a national stage without his first two recruits, he might not have gotten the big recruiting bump without Pearl, and he might not have won enough games to get to the post-2001 resurgence without Wallace and Moten (but especially Wallace).

But it's no crazy stretch at all to say that Carmelo Anthony's the most talented and top player of the Boeheim era and call it a day.

DC was amazing and we were a missed front end of a one-and-one or a defensive stop away from winning that title with him in a much more loaded era for college hoops. That's why I go DC 1 on my lists.

Reviewing this thread I have to say I am shocked by the lack of recognition given to Louis Orr. The 1979-1980 team was one of the best Syracuse teams ever. It was a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Orr was the best player on that team. He easily could have scored more than 20 points a game if Boeheim asked him to shoot more. He was a great rebounder and great defender. He shot 85% from the free throw line as a senior. His run from 77-80 was one of the best stretches in Boeheim's career. He was a first round draft choice and went on to be a good NBA player and certainly had one of the top 10 NBA careers of any Boeheim player. He was better than Warrick and Wallace. He is without question one of the top ten players to play for Boeheim.

I think he's before a lot of posters' time, honestly. I know my knowledge starts with Pearl and even that is watching through the eyes of a 7-year-old so it's hard to rank the schayes/orrs/santifers, etc. of the world for me.

and combining bouie and orr into 1 player is a bit of a cheat and a bit disrespectful to their individual talents.
louis orr played 8 seasons in the NBA. he's more than just a side kick. and then rose up into the coaching ranks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom