3) Fair
4) Flynn
5) Gbinije
6) MCW
7) Onuaku
8) Christmas
9) Nichols
10) Joseph

Post-GMac is an interesting idea b/c it includes, IMO, the second golden era for Cuse hoops. I think you need to account for a couple of things -- how unique is a player's skill set (Flynn/MCW/Waiters/Onuaku/Wes stand out) and how long was he a truly positive influence on this program (Fair/Joseph/Scoop/RJ). A guy like Malachi suffers on this list b/c while he had a phenomenal iconic moment at a HUGE time, it's really the one defining thing he did. Rak and Nichols suffer a bit too b/c I see 2-3 disappointing seasons with one really, really good one.

So for me, it looks like this:

1. Flynn -- not a great PG his frosh year, but super productive and that team got crushed with injuries (full year of Devo and/or Rautins makes a huge difference, IMO). Soph year was excellent and featured the iconic 6OT win. Just ran into a buzz saw with a red hot Oklahoma team.

2. Waiters -- Frosh year sucked but thought he was transcendent as a soph. Both ends of the floor. Would probably draft Waiters first if it were that kind of format.

3. Wes -- Great year on arguably my favorite SU team since the late-80s. It's one year but dude was a stud and a BE POY.

4. MCW
-- I'm of the belief that MCW should have played more in place of Triche as a frosh. Loved his vision and length in the zone. Ugly numbers but dude ends up as ROY at the next level and had a really nice tournament as soph on a team that was really thin on offense.

5. Ennis -- Not sure how he's left off these lists. Dude was HUGE in our 25 straight wins and that's a team that even with struggles late ended up 14-4 in a really tough league. Talented dude who only turned it over 58 times total despite playing 34 games and nearly 35 mpg. That's a pretty badass year.

6. Fair -- Would be higher if he hadn't struggled a bit as a senior. But people tend to underrate guys who don't need to have the ball in their hands a lot to make an impact. Fair personified that. Perfect complimentary player.

7. Onuaku -- Not sure we utilized him perfectly but absolute stud down low. Like a bigger, more physical Otis Hill. knees hurt him but three straight years as a double-figure post scorer is hard to do here in this offense.

8. RJ -- Numbers don't pop until his senior year (13.1 and 10 AND a total stud defensively), but don't forget that he put up 9 and 7 as the 5th and maybe, at times, sixth or seventh option on the 09-10 team. Dude shot essentially 60% his last three years. Pretty efficient.

9. Gbinije -- I'm frankly probably ranking him too low. His numbers are hard to argue with and he played out of position as senior and we went to the freaking final four. But I just never felt he was a guy who could create his own shot when it really mattered. Kind of like a CJ Fair but with two good years instead of four. Not sure that's fair, but it just gives me slight pause.

10 -- Rautins -- A lot closer to Devo in win shares than you might think and, for my money, the best defensive player at the top of the zone I can remember. Dominating pressure and coverage at the top of the zone. Made threes off screens and made contested threes. Great passer. Handled the ball decently. Loved the way he pushed the tempo.

Toughest omissions:
Devo (IMO one of the best jump shooters we've had, made a lot of contested shots), Rak (wonderful senior season but felt he had so much more potential the previous three seasons), Scoop (much better than people realized), Joseph (Loved his soph season but felt he just wasn't the same player as a junior/senior), Nichols (loved his senior year but needed much more out of him as a soph and he was OK, not great as a junior).

Triche is criminally underrated in this thread. He may not have been flashy, but he was the starting guard for the two best SU teams in the last decade and a final four team.

I'm not sure -- the guards on these lists were largely NBA draft picks. I mean there's no real way you could say triche was 'better' than waiters, mcw, ennis and flynn -- all of whom were nba draft picks. You could make the argument pretty easily vs. rautins but for me, I loved what Rautins brought in terms of defense and tempo, always looking to push it, and he was a much better shooter.

And, if we're looking at numbers, you'd have to put Devo above Triche as a 2 as well, right? And Scoop as a lead guard.

I appreciate what Triche brought and it's all subjective so there's no 'right' or 'wrong' but I do believe he slots in below the nba guys as well as devo, rautins and scoop.

Triche is criminally underrated in this thread. He may not have been flashy, but he was the starting guard for the two best SU teams in the last decade and a final four team.

But the theme of the thread is "Top 10 players of the JB era." He's not anywhere in that conservation.

But the theme of the thread is "Top 10 players of the JB era." He's not anywhere in that conservation.
That's certainly true, but the original idea of this thread was lost long ago as people have presented lists covering a variety of criteria.

That's certainly true, but the original idea of this thread was lost long ago as people have presented lists covering a variety of criteria.

That NEVER happens on here :) I have a 75 post rule. If I see a thread has more posts than that, I'm probably going to open it and have no idea what people are talking about based on the title of the thread. But this one has been an interesting offseason conversation.

This is an interesting discussion because although I appreciate the Pearl, Seikaly's and Coleman's of the world, I was in diapers when they were at SU so I know them based on program significance alone. I'm using two lists below because of this; Top 10 players of historical significance and my Top 10 players I've watched.

Program significance top 10:
1. Melo
2. Coleman
3. Pearl
4. Douglas
5. Seikaly
6. Moten
7. Wallace
8. Owens
9. Wes Johnson
10. MCW

My Top 10 (I like the 3 and 4 stars who played above their rankings)
1. Gbinije (No player improved more at SU then this guy IMO)
2. CJ Fair
3. John Wallace
4. Hakim Warrick
5. Kris Joseph
6. G-MAC
7. Eric Devendorf
8. Brandon Triche
9. MCW
10. Josh Pace (played high school ball with him. PArt of the reason I'm a die hard Orange fan now so I need to give him props)

How about top 10 in "Peak Value"

Using their best season as an Orangeman.

Interesting take. I love the Onuaku at 2 call -- bold, maybe a bit higher than i'd have him but I think he's really underrated in terms of just how dominant he was once he got the ball in the post. Xmas is tough to rank, IMO, b/c his senior year was really impressive -- I mean, one of the best seasons from a true post player that we've seen. But his first three years were simply brutal, IMO. I don't know how to score that.

Triche to me is nowhere close -- Good kid, worked hard, solid contributor, but I struggle to list anything he really excelled at. Even defense was solid but not game-changing in any way.

That's part of the trouble. In the last 10 years, outside of half a dozen kids, there seem to be three types of Syracuse players:

1) Those who were good but who didn't really excel at anything,
2) Those who had an excellent skill but didn't stay in college long enough to do anything consistently meaningful,
3) And those who didn't have an excellent skill and didn't stick in college long enough to do anything.

Surprisingly difficult list to make. It's a weird time in college basketball.

How about top 10 in "Peak Value"

Using their best season as an Orangeman.

Chronologically just off the top of my head...

Dave Bing, Junior
Dave Bing, Senior
Pearl, Junior
Sherm, Senior
DC, Junior
DC, Senior
Owens, Junior
Wallace, Senior
Melo, Frosh
Warrick, Senior
Wes, Junior (I'm iffy about this one, you could easily make an argument for another season of Pearl or Sherm here)

I'm sure there are guys back in the day that had incredible seasons which I'm simply not well-versed on like Bill Smith, Jimmy Lee, Marty Byrnes, Wilmeth Sidat-Singh, etc.

Chronologically just off the top of my head...

Dave Bing, Junior
Dave Bing, Senior
Pearl, Junior
Sherm, Senior
DC, Junior
DC, Senior
Owens, Junior
Wallace, Senior
Melo, Frosh
Warrick, Senior
Wes, Junior (I'm iffy about this one, you could easily make an argument for another season of Pearl or Sherm here)

I'm sure there are guys back in the day that had incredible seasons which I'm simply not well-versed on like Bill Smith, Jimmy Lee, Marty Byrnes, Wilmeth Sidat-Singh, etc.

Dave Johnson as a junior? 19 and 6 with .500/.380 shooting. Would look like a better year if our other forward didn't put up 23/11 that season.

You were in diapers from 1983-1990? Man I feel sorry for your parents. Potty training was a nightmare.
I think I should have said either not born or in diapers. I was born in '87.

I think I should have said either not born or in diapers. I was born in '87.

Don't let NYCSUgrad see your post, you couldn't have been around in the "aol days" and you may scare off some old folks.

jk.

Love your lists though, like seeing MCW on them, his name hasn't been thrown around a lot in this thread. Best player on a final four team and a lottery pick.

Alsacs made an interesting post about this in the other thread. Seems like a good off-season topic, since certain SU players produce such varied opinions. Thoughts?

1. Pearl - Nobody will ever convince me that Pearl isn't the most important player we have ever had. Not only was the Dome the house that Pearl built, he was the first building block of the program we know today. He took us from a regional power to a national power/program. His nationally televised signing then his flair for the game had his name and SU's on the minds of fans and media coast to coast. I'm not sure without Pearl there would have been a DC or Stevie Thompson, etc. He'll always be #1 to me.

2. Melo - This was a tough one between Melo and DC but even though he as only here 1 year, Melo gave us the one thing we as fans want every single year, a national championship. I don't think that can be stressed enough.

3. DC - IMO, possibly the most skilled big man to ever play the college game. Nothing he couldn't do and he stayed 4 years.

4. Sherm - Another close one between he and Owens. But Sherm gave us a final 4 and had a flair for something that was talked about everywhere and were always replayed on TV...alley oops.

5. Owens - Great great player. Great skill set. One of my favorites to watch play.

6. Wallace - A final 4 and he kept the program afloat during the probation. Will always be indebted to him for that.

7. Warrick - "The block", a million dunks, improved every year, another player that was just so fun to watch play.

8. Louie and Bouie - Yea, I cheated. But I will always view them as one. Kick started everything for JB which allowed this program to be put on the launching pad for a Pearl to launch it.

9. GMac - Yea, some will have reflux, but he belongs on this list. Maybe one of the 2-3 most loved players by the broader fan base. The six 3's in a half in a NC game as a frosh. The onions like clutch shot after clutch shot. The BET run. Was he the most athletic? Nope. Was he the most skilled? Nope. But like Pearl, he had a certain flair about him which we needed during a couple years when we didn't surround him with a lot. I remember during his career and certain games where many people here wanted to have his baby.

10. Moten or Seikaly??? - A real tough one for me. How do I not include the all time leading scorer? How do I not include possibly the most improved player over his career from an awkward freshman to a dominate big? I think I will go with Seikaly simply because he got to a final 4 and I loved watching his development. But that's not to short change Moten.

So I guess in reality, I list 12 total. Shoot me. ;)

Since JB has been the SU HC, exactly 10 players have been named AAs by the USBBWA.

1979-1980
Roosevelt Bouie Senior Center Second Team
1984-1985
Dwayne 'Pearl Washington Sophomore Guard Second Team
1987-1988
Rony Seikaly Senior Center Second Team
1989-1990
Derrick Coleman Senior Forward First Team
1990-1991
Billy Owens Junior Forward First Team
1995-1996
John Wallace Senior Forward Second Team
2002-2003
Carmelo Anthony Freshman Forward Second Team
2004-2005
Hakim Warrick Senior Forward Second Team
2009-2010
Wesley Johnson
Junior Forward First Team
2013-2014
C.J. Fair
Senior Forward Second Team

That works for me...

well triche started but scoop would finish the games . you do recall that pattern ?

Last edited:
Best:
  1. Pearl
  2. DC I
  3. Melo
  4. Billy Owens
  5. Sherm
  6. Rosie
  7. Poetry
  8. JW
  9. Leo
  10. Louie/Hak
Personal Favorite:

1. Sherm
  2. Santifer
  3. Pearl
  4. Stevie
  5. Rosie
  6. Red Bruin
  7. Shack
  8. DC I
  9. Raf
  10. Fast Eddie

well triche started but scoop would finish the games . you do recall that pattern ?
Actually, no, I don't. They both started every game in the 2 years cusefannotindc was talking about.

Scoop Jardine
Brandon Triche

upload_2017-4-12_17-40-36.png

upload_2017-4-12_17-41-5.png

Since JB has been the SU HC, exactly 10 players have been named AAs by the USBBWA.

1979-1980
Roosevelt Bouie Senior Center Second Team
1984-1985
Dwayne 'Pearl Washington Sophomore Guard Second Team
1987-1988
Rony Seikaly Senior Center Second Team
1989-1990
Derrick Coleman Senior Forward First Team
1990-1991
Billy Owens Junior Forward First Team
1995-1996
John Wallace Senior Forward Second Team
2002-2003
Carmelo Anthony Freshman Forward Second Team
2004-2005
Hakim Warrick Senior Forward Second Team
2009-2010
Wesley Johnson
Junior Forward First Team
2013-2014
C.J. Fair
Senior Forward Second Team

That works for me...

The simplicity I like.

The lack of Sherman Douglas...hmm.

Wow, what does it say about the evolution of college basketball that Sherman Douglas couldn't make a USBBWA All America team in 1989 (and Pearl couldn't in 1986, and Coleman couldn't in 1989, and Owens couldn't in 1990) but C.J. Fair did in 2014? (Obviously the quality of play has deteriorated, but I also think that pre-season hype carries more weight these days.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom