Ranking Tournament Losses | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ranking Tournament Losses

For reasons I can't quite explain, I decided to re-watch the 2010 Butler game. (Definitely the first and only time I've done so.) We're down 31-19 with 4:08 to play in the 1st half... I think I have to stop watching this right now... I'm screaming at my computer.

The fact that we were able to claw all the way back just makes it so much worse.

1. Indiana 1987 Championship game - THE most painful. I remember laying face down on the floor for 15 minutes after Smart's shot went in. We were the better team. Had more & better future pros. Were ahead most of the 2nd half. Just missed a bunch of free throws at the end that would have put it away. It still hurts.

2. Illinois 1989 Regional Final - we were up 7 at halftime and I was checking airfare to the FF. Maybe the best SU team of all time. DC/Owens/Sherm/Stevie.
3. Richmond 1991
4. Rhode Island 1988
5. Michigan 2013 - it was not a charge
6. Butler 2010
7. Arkansas 1995 - Moten calls time out we don't have. We had them beat. Then Arkansas went on to win it all.
8. Vermont 2005
9. Ohio State 2012
10. Georgetown 1984 BET Final when Graham punched Andre Hawkins, no call.

Well done.

Can we rank “girls who broke my heart” and “dead pets” next?

After we had that breakaway with a beautiful pass from Scoop to Joseph to go up 54-50, I honestly thought it was over. If I remember correctly, we turned the ball over like 3 consecutive possessions while up 54-50.

Couldn’t inbound the ball

Butler sucked but with AO out we were limited.

In my opinion, our fanbase tends to exaggerate the loss of AO a bit. He was an excellent big man, but he was our 4th leading scorer, 4th leading rebounder, and 7th in the rotation in minutes played. Losing him was by no means a deal breaker that year. That team was good enough to get to the Final Four just playing 6 guys with some minutes for Riley sprinkled in.

In my opinion, our fanbase tends to exaggerate the loss of AO a bit. He was an excellent big man, but he was our 4th leading scorer, 4th leading rebounder, and 7th in the rotation in minutes played. Losing him was by no means a deal breaker that year. That team was good enough to get to the Final Four just playing 6 guys with some minutes for Riley sprinkled in.

it hurt us defensively. We were basically playing 4 on 5. Also the timing of the loss was the key part of this. Had we lost him with 10 games left in the season no problem. Losing him right before the tournament was a killer.

Disagree. That entire season, JB had the luxury of going small -- with both Wes / Kris manning the forward spots, accompanied in the post by whichever of the two big men was having the better day, or matched up better with the opponent, etc. The minutes he played were reduced because our best lineup that year included only one of the bigs, so other than the starts of halves, usually only one of them was on the floor.

Rick had a poor game against Butler. JB didn't have the luxury of pulling him for Arinze, a senior who probably wouldn't have been as affected tangling with that Butler goon. His loss was immense.

That team also had perfect offensive chemistry. Rick was pretty good, but he wasn't as good a scorer at that stage as Arinze was. Losing him upset that balance.

Disagree. That entire season, JB had the luxury of going small -- with both Wes / Kris manning the forward spots, accompanied in the post by whichever of the two big men was having the better day, or matched up better with the opponent, etc. The minutes he played were reduced because our best lineup that year included only one of the bigs, so other than the starts of halves, usually only one of them was on the floor.

Rick had a poor game against Butler. JB didn't have the luxury of pulling him for Arinze, a senior who probably wouldn't have been as affected tangling with that Butler goon. His loss was immense.

That team also had perfect offensive chemistry. Rick was pretty good, but he wasn't as good a scorer at that stage as Arinze was. Losing him upset that balance.

Don't get me wrong, I always am a supporter of having more available players than less available players (e.g. I was very upset when TT and GT left us this year). There is no doubt whatsoever that losing AO hurt us. I just think we tend to use it as a copout a little too much for how that season ended. That historically elite SU team minus AO still should have beat Butler.

Rick and AO were very comparable scorers that season. Senior AO averaged 10.5 ppg on 66% shooting, Junior Rick 9.7 ppg on 59% shooting. And if I had to choose between Rick and AO for tangling with a goon I would take Rick who I think was tougher and more athletic. AO's conditioning was poor, which is why he played less minutes than any other rotation player.

Don't get me wrong, I always am a supporter of having more available players than less available players (e.g. I was very upset when TT and GT left us this year). There is no doubt whatsoever that losing AO hurt us. I just think we tend to use it as a copout a little too much for how that season ended. That historically elite SU team minus AO still should have beat Butler.

Rick and AO were very comparable scorers that season. Senior AO averaged 10.5 ppg on 66% shooting, Junior Rick 9.7 ppg on 59% shooting. And if I had to choose between Rick and AO for tangling with a goon I would take Rick who I think was tougher and more athletic. AO's conditioning was poor, which is why he played less minutes than any other rotation player.

I think where I disagree with your assertion most is basing this on just comparing stats. Would you rather have two bigs scoring around 10ppg or just the one, especially if the one happens to be having an off night? Going from having two guys that you could plug and play to 1 was a huge impact, and it went beyond the stats. Maybe we wear them down by having both AO and Rick that game, instead of just the one ineffectual player. Maybe their bigs get into foul trouble, and the game plays out differently.

Also, AO's condition was certainly not poor his senior year -- I think you are misremembering that substantially. He was in absolute peak shape that season, less so in previous seasons.

I think where the AO copout you refer to gets most applied is the suggestion that we would have absolutely won the NC. But getting by Butler? Absolutely, I believe we win that game with AO. From there, who knows? But that Duke team that won it all was far from elite -- we would have had a pretty darn good shot.

Last edited:
And if I had to choose between Rick and AO for tangling with a goon I would take Rick who I think was tougher and more athletic. AO's conditioning was poor, which is why he played less minutes than any other rotation player.

go back and watch the last 4 minutes on youtube and you will change your mind on that.

Rhode Island sucked in '88. The F - "Spiders" really sucked in 91. And Butler ... OMG ... who would have thought that Mack and Haywood were both NBA players. But the loss that really sticks in my craw is Vermont. That was the biggest nightmare scenario of the last 40 years for me ... a zero team with two kids that simply couldn't miss against us no matter what the distance. Sorentine can rot in hell.

Rhode Island sucked in '88. The - "Spiders" really sucked in 91. And Butler ... OMG ... who would have thought that Mack and Haywood were both NBA players. But the loss that really sticks in my craw is Vermont. That was the biggest nightmare scenario of the last 40 years for me ... a zero team with two kids that simply couldn't miss against us no matter what the distance. Sorentine can rot in hell.

keep in mind Vermont had an RPI of 21 that year. They sucked but were not as bad as people made them out to be.

I don't think those are as comparable as you think.

I don't think you think those are as comparable as I think.

giphy-3.gif

keep in mind Vermont had an RPI of 21 that year. They sucked but were not as bad as people made them out to be.
It's not that they were that bad. They had some balance with that white guy in the middle... coppenrath or something. What bugged me was that they became CHUCKERS in the second half. I mean, some of the shots they jacked up were ridiculous prayers ... I remember Sorentine throwing one up 27 feet+. Didn't matter. They went IN regardless. Disgusting to this day. Sorentine had to be on meth. What a nightmare.

Last edited:
Fun fact: TJ Sorrentine went 5-16 from 3 (and 0-4 from two!)

In 2014, Syracuse lost to Dayton in the 2nd round by 2 points. During the course of that game, Dayton scored a total of 5 points on two possessions when one of Mike Gbinije's shoes fell off and he left his defensive spot to retrieve it.

And that game is arguably not even in the top 10 of most painful NCAA tournament losses for longtime fans...incredible!

Facts don't help. I'm still miserable over that game. :cool:

That’s fine; but I think your frustration would be better directed toward the 5ppg scorer who we let go off for 20 on 8-9 shooting.

That’s fine; but I think your frustration would be better directed toward the 5ppg scorer who we let go off for 20 on 8-9 shooting.
But one reason he "went off" is that he jacked shots that should never go in. True, we handed them opportunities with 24 TO's -- but JACKING shots from 25+ plus turned the game into a fluke IMO.

This is fun, in a sick way.

1. 2005 Vermont. Crushing. In every way. Final Four -quality team. Got shafted on both seed and draw. The end of the core of our championship team. Spent 4 years hearing broadcasters marvel over Warrick's footwork, saying 'A ref who's not expecting that might call a travel'...and saw him pick up the worst kind of triple-double on maybe 3 legitimate turnovers and 7 phantom walks. The backboard slap and a huge momentum swing. Three guys didn't even make the trip, in an unfortunate prelude to roster turnover to come. Just horrible.

2. 2010 Butler. With Kansas out and Kentucky about to lose to WVU, this team should have been the championship favorite without Onuaku. They played (and coached) a horrible game against a worse team and the refs played a role, especially down the stretch (missed out of bounds, missed Matt Howard body-slam). Then to wake up the next morning and learn that the late semi-final went to two overtimes was salt in an open wound.

3. 1995 Arkansas. Can't add anything. Gut-wrenching. Seemed to close an era, especially with rumors that Wallace was leaving early. A wide-open field in Memphis ahead of us, if only...

4. 1992 UMass. Bad call, bloody Hopkins, Lou ------- Roe, and it's always a kick in the nuts to see the season end before the second weekend. Plus I was nine years old (it's the first one I'm listing; I remember Richmond but it didn't crush me). Just the wrong age to take this kind of loss well.

5. 2000 MSU. This could be #1 in my mind on any given day. Same reasons as the Vermont game, minus the officiating: very good SU team, crappy draw, shaky seed, looming mass exodus of veterans who deserved better. Also, Mo Pete vs. the zone during their run. Ugh.

6. 2012 Ohio State. Again, the end of an era. Refs killed us (Triche Charge Part I, a million cheap fouls on one side while letting Aaron Craft 'play defense' on the other), but whiffs stick out from my memory from the last row of the upper deck in the Garden: 1) Kris Joseph missing a layup when he realized that he was too far out to dunk, 2) Dion missing a backdoor layup off a fantastic pass from Baye, 3) making no progress in building a lead when Sullinger sat for about 5 minutes in the first half. It was a loss that seemed to be preordained after those three things happened and we were only up 2. What a miserable drive back to Syracuse.

7. 1996 Kentucky. 22 years of perspective helps, but boy we were close.

8. 2011 Marquette. Again with the BS draw. And the BS tip times in the first year of four networks sharing the broadcast - it's fun enough to see the season come crashing to an end, it's even more fun when it's midnight on Sunday and I'm in Cleveland and need to be in Con Law in nine hours. Thanks, NCAA greed. By the way, the officiating sucked.

9. 1994 Missouri. Perspective has smoothed this over a little. I don't even remember who we'd have faced after this...Arizona? UCLA? That was a fun team and it was too bad to see Autry's career end. Painful at the time as one of seemingly a million consecutive overtime losses, but I'm over it.

10. 2004 Alabama. On one hand we played poorly and I get irrationally mad about losing to mediocre football schools in hoops. On the other, UConn was up next, and we'd used up our luck against them three weeks earlier. So our season was over one way or another.

11. 2013 Michigan. Same as before. We got our good games against Louisville out of our system and Monday night would've been bad. Didn't make Triche Charge Part II any less infuriating, since we deserved a shot. But that was a shaky team that exceeded expectations. When Southerland and Carter-Williams came up empty, it's hard to complain too much.

12. 1999 Oklahoma State. This was during the National Latin Exam. It's like the 1999 tournament didn't even happen. I still think we'd have thrashed Auburn in the next game, though. Damn mediocre football schools...

13. 2014 Dayton. Eh, it was a mercy killing at this point. The real gut-punch came in the rout at Charlottesville two weeks earlier when it became clear that not only was our season cooked, but our years-long apparent destiny of playing in an East Regional at MSG was going to be stolen by some Southern school.

14. 1998 Duke. They were better.

15. 2001 Kansas. Ditto.

16. 2009 Oklahoma. Got stuck on a train and almost missed seeing the tip-off. That's pretty much the highlight of the evening. Still can see Tony Crocker raining down threes in his ridiculous long-sleeved shirt while Devendorf and Flynn meander around a few feet away. This group probably had a higher ceiling, but who could have expected much more after watching them for 30-odd games?

17. 2006 Texas A&M. I'd like to think the 2006 season ended with the trophy ceremony in New York. What was much, much more frustrating was seeing Florida (GD football school...), a team who'd eked out a win against us in November, cruising past everyone for the rest of the month. So close, yet so far.

18. 2016 UNC. House money.

19. 2018 Duke. I'm not even sure SU should have gotten a bid. So to win 2* (or 3, depending on the interpretation) games was fantastic. Then to give Duke a legitimate game, with more dunking than we saw in the previous 30+ games combined, was just gravy. I wasn't even disappointed when I went to bed, and I didn't watch the Elite Eight games with any sense of regret (whereas usually SU's loss is the end of my tourney-watching for the year).

Last edited:
This is fun, in a sick way.

1. 2005 Vermont. Crushing. In every way. Final Four -quality team. Got shafted on both seed and draw. The end of the core of our championship team. Spent 4 years hearing broadcasters marvel over Warrick's footwork, saying 'A ref who's not expecting that might call a travel'...and saw him pick up the worst kind of triple-double on maybe 3 legitimate turnovers and 7 phantom walks. The backboard slap and a huge momentum swing. Three guys didn't even make the trip, in an unfortunate prelude to roster turnover to come. Just horrible.

2. 2010 Butler. With Kansas out and Kentucky about to lose to WVU, this team should have been the championship favorite without Onuaku. They played (and coached) a horrible game against a worse team and the refs played a role, especially down the stretch (missed out of bounds, missed Matt Howard body-slam). Then to wake up the next morning and learn that the late semi-final went to two overtimes was salt in an open wound.

3. 1995 Arkansas. Can't add anything. Gut-wrenching. Seemed to close an era, especially with rumors that Wallace was leaving early. A wide-open field in Memphis ahead of us, if only...

4. 1992 UMass. Bad call, bloody Hopkins, Lou ------- Roe, and it's always a kick in the nuts to see the season end before the second weekend. Plus I was nine years old (it's the first one I'm listing; I remember Richmond but it didn't crush me). Just the wrong age to take this kind of loss well.

5. 2000 MSU. This could be #1 in my mind on any given day. Same reasons as the Vermont game, minus the officiating: very good SU team, crappy draw, shaky seed, looming mass exodus of veterans who deserved better. Also, Mo Pete vs. the zone during their run. Ugh.

6. 2012 Ohio State. Again, the end of an era. Refs killed us (Triche Charge Part I, a million cheap fouls on one side while letting Aaron Craft 'play defense' on the other), but whiffs stick out from my memory from the last row of the upper deck in the Garden: 1) Kris Joseph missing a layup when he realized that he was too far out to dunk, 2) Dion missing a backdoor layup off a fantastic pass from Baye, 3) making no progress in building a lead when Sullinger sat for about 5 minutes in the first half. It was a loss that seemed to be preordained after those three things happened and we were only up 2. What a miserable drive back to Syracuse.

7. 1996 Kentucky. 22 years of perspective helps, but boy we were close.

8. 2011 Marquette. Again with the BS draw. And the BS tip times in the first year of four networks sharing the broadcast - it's fun enough to see the season come crashing to an end, it's even more fun when it's midnight on Sunday and I'm in Cleveland and need to be in Con Law in nine hours. Thanks, NCAA greed. By the way, the officiating sucked.

9. 1994 Missouri. Perspective has smoothed this over a little. I don't even remember who we'd have faced after this...Arizona? UCLA? That was a fun team and it was too bad to see Autry's career end. Painful at the time as one of seemingly a million consecutive overtime losses, but I'm over it.

10. 2004 Alabama. On one hand we played poorly and I get irrationally mad about losing to mediocre football schools in hoops. On the other, UConn was up next, and we'd used up our luck against them three weeks earlier. So our season was over one way or another.

11. 2013 Michigan. Same as before. We got our good games against Louisville out of our system and Monday night would've been bad. Didn't make Triche Charge Part II any less infuriating, since we deserved a shot. But that was a shaky team that exceeded expectations. When Southerland and Carter-Williams came up empty, it's hard to complain too much.

12. 1999 Oklahoma State. This was during the National Latin Exam. It's like the 1999 tournament didn't even happen. I still think we'd had thrashed Auburn in the next game, though. Damn mediocre football schools...

13. 2014 Dayton. Eh, it was a mercy killing at this point. The real gut-punch came in the rout at Charlottesville two weeks earlier when it became clear that not only was our season cooked, but our years-long apparent destiny of playing in an East Regional at MSG was going to be stolen by some Southern school.

14. 1998 Duke. They were better.

15. 2001 Kansas. Ditto.

16. 2009 Oklahoma. Got stuck on a train and almost missed seeing the tip-off. That's pretty much the highlight of the evening. Still can see Tony Crocker raining down threes in his ridiculous long-sleeved shirt while Devendorf and Flynn meander around a few feet away. This group probably had a higher ceiling, but who could have expected much more after watching them for 30-odd games

17. 2006 Texas A&M. I'd like to think the 2006 season ended with the trophy ceremony in New York. What was much, much more frustrating was seeing Florida (GD football school...), a team who'd eked out a win against us in November, cruising past everyone for the rest of the month. So close, yet so far.

18. 2016 UNC. House money.

19. 2018 Duke. I'm not even sure SU should have gotten a bid. So to win 2* (or 3, depending on the interpretation) games was fantastic. Then to give Duke a legitimate game, with more dunking than we saw in the previous 30+ games combined was just gravy. I wasn't even disappointed when I went to bed, and I didn't watch the Elite Eight games with any sense of regret (whereas usually SU's loss is the end of my tourney-watching for the year).
Waaaaay too many excruciating details. What a memory. I thought about talking to a therapist after reading that. But I'm going to save money and just drink now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom