Rate the Early Signing Class... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rate the Early Signing Class...

Thanks

No problem. Although it should be clear based on what others have already posted in the Sampson thread, I just want everyone to move on here and stop worrying about a kid that will never play here. I know some folks might not go to the recruiting board.

I would give the class a B-, no Sampson and no RB's...whats your grade?
Compared to pre-DB classes - A-, with a chance to get even better in Feb.
- increased depth
- I think all recruits were 3-star ranked - another improvement
- we will sign running back(s)
- we may even add another OL to go with the three well ranked players just signed
- we have scholarships available to fill other needs - DL comes to mind first
Compared to the country - C, #45 seems about average. But again, even average is an improvement

fun game to play, but we won't know the real grade for months, maybe even 1-2 years.

B

We still need help at DT and DE. I am confident we will fill 2-3 of the remaining slots with big lugs. Sign the 2 RB's in Feb. and add another LB.

If this class is an A, what's a top 25 class?

A+ ;)

But seriously, we're only a couple higher ranked players away from a top 25 class. For SU, this is a tremendous class. Especially coming off of 3 straight 4-8 seasons.

Are we keeping perspective or living in a dream world where we’re comparing ourselves to Ohio State and Bama?
I didn't say top 10, I said top 25. Louisville, NC State, Maryland, Mississippi State all finished in the top 25. It's not impossible

A+ ;)

But seriously, we're only a couple higher ranked players away from a top 25 class. For SU, this is a tremendous class. Especially coming off of 3 straight 4-8 seasons.
I hear you. Just feel like every year we think it's the best class ever (slight exaggeration). I think it's a good class, just don't think it's a great class. To me, that should be top 25 or at least right there.

If this class is an A, what's a top 25 class?

My 'A' rating was tainted by fandom and not in comparison to other schools' programs.
The rating was based on: comparison to previous years, the filling of positional needs, lot of well-regarded players, feels like positive momentum.
This also assumes the RB spots are filled with solid recruits.

In other words, I'm wearing orange-colored glasses.

I hear you. Just feel like every year we think it's the best class ever (slight exaggeration). I think it's a good class, just don't think it's a great class. To me, that should be top 25 or at least right there.

2four7 has us at #34 if that makes you feel any better. lol

This should end up a unanimous top 40 class which is really good compared to what we are used to. We're getting a lot more kids with many P5 offers.

B

Sampson was the most pro SU guy we've had since Moyer. After what happened yesterday, nobody is a lock for me until they sign.

I didn't say top 10, I said top 25. Louisville, NC State, Maryland, Mississippi State all finished in the top 25. It's not impossible
I look at it this way:

We have a system to recruit to and we had glaring weaknesses in 2016/2017.

Regarding system recruitment we brought in 4 great WR prospect, three of which we brought in over peer and larger programs.

We’ve received commitments from two running backs who must’ve been near top of our board as I’d still argue we moved on/passed on Scott and other talented backs. At this time I see no reason to believe they dont sign in Feb.

We added considerable quality depth to our O line. This includes a 4 star in White who will likely redshirt which is fantastic. We also immediately brought in a highly recruited center, which provided assured depth after Sampson’s decommitment.

This added quality to line depth makes me ecstatic about our top of the board Qb commit we flipped from Houston. Did I mention we now recruit East Texas? “Texas forever” -Tim Riggins. God damn netflix for removing Friday Night Lights.

Now regarding our glaring weakness!

Safeties and Corners:

A 4 star homegrown talent in Trill Williams with size, speed, instincts for either position. Along with Cisco and Jonas, both highly recruited db’s from quality hs football programs.

My favorite irrational board concern, or LB depth:

Multiple quality LB recruits, also another Flip from Texas in Allison. Love these prospects measurables and the fact that Juan could see meaningful time in year 1.

Now, I see why many give the class a B currently, we lack d line and end recruits. Im confident Dino will figure this out, for once rationally confident.

Keeping in mind how many of our quality recruits were won over these top peer programs as well. Nc state, maryland, minnesota, louisville, unc, duke etc etc

I look at it this way:

We have a system to recruit to and we had glaring weaknesses in 2016/2017.

Regarding system recruitment we brought in 4 great WR prospect, three of which we brought in over peer and larger programs.

We’ve received commitments from two running backs who must’ve been near top of our board as I’d still argue we moved on/passed on Scott and other talented backs. At this time I see no reason to believe they dont sign in Feb.

We added considerable quality depth to our O line. This includes a 4 star in White who will likely redshirt which is fantastic. We also immediately brought in a highly recruited center, which provided assured depth after Sampson’s decommitment.

This added quality to line depth makes me ecstatic about our top of the board Qb commit we flipped from Houston. Did I mention we now recruit East Texas? “Texas forever” -Tim Riggins. God damn netflix for removing Friday Night Lights.

Now regarding our glaring weakness!

Safeties and Corners:

A 4 star homegrown talent in Trill Williams with size, speed, instincts for either position. Along with Cisco and Jonas, both highly recruited db’s from quality hs football programs.

My favorite irrational board concern, or LB depth:

Multiple quality LB recruits, also another Flip from Texas in Allison. Love these prospects measurables and the fact that Juan could see meaningful time in year 1.

Now, I see why many give the class a B currently, we lack d line and end recruits. Im confident Dino will figure this out, for once rationally confident.

great post

Love Allison, might be my favorite recruit in the class.

The size of these kids in the class can't be ignored. (even if inflated they're still tall/big). They're not just big for the sake of being big. They're jacked with speed and have peer program or better offers. We're finally getting back to the sizes of the 90's.

The linebacker size is the way we used to recruit.

Tre Allison > 6-2 230
Juan Wallace > 6-2 225

The avg size of the WR's

6-2 189

The elephants and hippos

6-6 290

3 defensive backs

6-1 188

They're all starting at a higher ceiling and you can't teach "longer."

Last edited:
great post

Love Allison, might be my favorite recruit in the class.

But the size of these kids in the class can't be ignored. (even if inflated they're still tall/big). They're not just big for the sake of being big. They're jacked with speed and have peer program or better offers. We're finally getting back to the sizes of the 90's.

The linebacker size is the way we used to recruit.

Tre Allison > 6-2 230
Juan Wallace > 6-2 225

The avg size of the WR's

6-2 189

The elephants and hippos

6-6 290

3 defensive backs

6-1 188

They're all starting at a higher ceiling and you can't teach "longer."
The majority of this class is in a position to redshirt as well. Those who wont, likely wont because they’re already talented enough to start from day 1. I will say, I hope Hendrix/Queeley/White all have the opportunity to redshirt, despite may being ready to contribute.

Thinking Carlos, Trill, Juan are the likely day 1’s. Could be off base though.

Solid B

Trill is going to be a player. Jonas was going to be in line for some SEC/FSU type offers until he got hurt. He’s s stud at a position of need. The WR’s are a really nice mix. Hendrix might compete for a starting job. Chance looks like McNabb, who knows what happens when he gets here.

No RB worries me a bit
Need DL

Best news is that I don’t see a lot of reaches based on measurables. No need to rehash FHCSS recruiting but it’s not disputable that he took too many guys that were not ACC caliber size/speed. This class passes those tests. And that’s very good for the program.

B.

You don't lose your best recruit on paper on signing day and not expect it to impact your ranking/expectations. Getting Chance was a nice consolation however the center position and OL overall is a huge position of need and I don't see us finding someone in a little over a month to fill those shoes. Disappointing but we have to move on.

Another nice part is all these kids are going to qualify and be on campus. We're not going to have 10-15% of a class evaporate because of academics or late flips.

The Amie thing is just huge for me. We seemed to really be at the point of scraping the bottom of the barrel for a QB, just so we had a body. We got the kid who was 1st or 2nd on our board. We seem to use between 2 and 5 QB's a year, so having quality depth there is pretty huge.

This class is A with a chance to go to A+. This is SU's most highly ranked class in 15 years and that's a serious accomplishment for Dino and his guys. I'm hoping they finish strong and maintain this ranking or improve on it. Let's hope that the remaining 1/3 of our class is as impressive as the first 2/3. Kudos to Dino et al for attracting better players than we have in in a while. He's doing a good job marketing the brand to kids...and fans like me, too...

For the last what...20 years, we have bemoaned the lack of size, speed and skill positions. We rarely, very rarely, beat out the better P5 programs.

This class is decidedly different. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

A

Last edited:
For who we got yesterday i’m still at an A.

Hendrix
White
Williams

Three 4 stars.

How many four stars have we gotten and kept past signing day in the past 5 years combined?

Also two of these were home grown products. Imagine the stiffies this board would have popped if HCSS rallied and kept a 4 star like Trill or Qadir in state instead of letting them slip to the B1G

cef5b9f61128285cb4c694195a478ea4fe931de172577715ab0a4e0e41fcd03b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom