Ray Allen to the Heat | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ray Allen to the Heat

LIC, the main response I would have to you is that Miami isn't the only team in the league. Understood the road to the finals almost certainly is going through Miami for the next few years, but we're talking about a Knicks team that hasn't won a playoff series since 2001. I think t he first goal should be to make the team as good as possible, with the ancillary goal of when possible, trying to put together a team that matches up with Miami.

Im just worried about who who Amare and Tyson guard when Miami plays Bosh at the 5 with LBJ at the 4 and Wade/Allen/Battier or Chalmers.

I think if you're the Knicks you just have to go small if that happens. Especially because Tyson isn't a great post player, so it isn't like you can dump the ball into him and try to exploit the mismatch there.

Funny that people laud athletes for taking less money for a "greater good" ...but Lebron was a "traitor" and now Allen is a "chump."
Allen just wasn't very loyal, it's not about money. He along with KG/PP/RR turned the Celtics completely around, it would have been cool if they all retired Celtics. They aren't rivals, but they are the team that eliminated Boston 2 years in a row, and you could probably call LeBron the Celtics "rival".

Ring chasing is pathetic regardless.

LIC, the main response I would have to you is that Miami isn't the only team in the league. Understood the road to the finals almost certainly is going through Miami for the next few years, but we're talking about a Knicks team that hasn't won a playoff series since 2001. I think t he first goal should be to make the team as good as possible, with the ancillary goal of when possible, trying to put together a team that matches up with Miami.

I think if you're the Knicks you just have to go small if that happens. Especially because Tyson isn't a great post player, so it isn't like you can dump the ball into him and try to exploit the mismatch there.
The Knicks are built to win now. Why play if were just hoping to win a round. I certainly hope our front office doesnt think that way. Every team in the East now knows they have to build their team to beat Miami. It is what it is.

I didn't say anything about winning a round. I'm just saying we're going to need to beat other teams than just Miami to make the finals. What good is building a team to beat Miami if you end up losing to Chicago in round 2 because you don't have enough quality big guys to beat them? (This is more of a theoretical argument; I'm not trying to say adding Marcus Camby puts the Knicks in the finals or anything. Remember how good he was in 99 though? Man that was a fun playoff run)

I think the only way to beat Miami is to zone them. Dallas beat them playing a lot of zone. Boston played a ton of zone in the eastern conference final. If OKC can't beat them playing M2M no one will. Zones allow you to stay closer to shooters than trying to rotate out double teams, and they can force other people besides LBJ to make the right basketball play and it will force him to play from the perimeter.

Im hopeful though. Everyones down on NY because of the Miami series but lets see how this team looks healthy and with playing together. The talent is there.

Im hopeful though. Everyones down on NY because of the Miami series but lets see how this team looks healthy and with playing together. The talent is there.

How much of the year were they healthy? Amare seems to be made of porcelain, glass, and peanut brittle.

Meh, I doubt Ray Allen sees Mia as his "rival"...he played five seasons for Boston and isn't even his longest tenured team.

Funny that people laud athletes for taking less money for a "greater good" ...but Lebron was a "traitor" and now Allen is a "chump."

Agreed. "Chump" --- you can't make this stuff up. Some of you guys need to chill the F out for a second here.

I love people that rip on players for doing what they think is best for the personal careers. They don't owe the fans ANYTHING. And if Allen did, he already helped bring Boston a ring and one of the better 5 year stretches in Boston history after a sub-par (to put it lightly) 20 some odd years.

As a Celtics fan, I don't begrudge Allen one bit. Besides the fact that the Celtics spent a good part of last year trying to trade him, he has the right to go where he will be happiest. Boston wouldn't have one a championship without him. I wish him good luck and will cheer when he comes back to Boston.
You beat me to it. A team can't essentially tell a guy "you're not good enough for us anymore so we're gonna try and unload you" and then begrudge him for going to a rival. I don't like the Miami, and I'll root against them again next year, but they look even scarier now.

Agreed. "Chump" --- you can't make this stuff up. Some of you guys need to chill the F out for a second here.

I love people that rip on players for doing what they think is best for the personal careers. They don't owe the fans ANYTHING. And if Allen did, he already helped bring Boston a ring and one of the better 5 year stretches in Boston history after a sub-par (to put it lightly) 20 some odd years.

I assure you that "subpar" does not even begin to describe it...My prediction is that the cheers drown out the boos. Some won't be happy, but most of us love Allen and won't fault him. He was a class act all the way.

Allen has always been a lone wolf. He's not a guy who is buddy buddy with everyone. The Celtics pissed him off the past 2 seasons and he left...

I can't blame anyone for not being loyal to Danny Ainge. Guy probably reeks of Aqua Velva.

Its just sports. Noones that mad. I think you need to chill the f out. I may hate Ray Allen for going to Miami or LBJ as a Miami Heat player but I dont hate them personally. Im going to boo them at MSG, but I dont want to fight them. Relax, its just sports, noone here is emotionally distraught and angry.

You can't get indignant when people think you're over the line for calling Allen a chump. Words mean things.

Its just sports. Noones that mad. I think you need to chill the f out. I may hate Ray Allen for going to Miami or LBJ as a Miami Heat player but I dont hate them personally. Im going to boo them at MSG, but I dont want to fight them. Relax, its just sports, noone here is emotionally distraught and angry.

Wait... how did this turn into you telling me to relax? Amusing. Anyway, how 'bout that Tebow fella?

Ray Allen can leave Boston for any team he wants...but you dont go to your rival! Theres 2 teams Allen couldnt go to and that NY and Miami. He will get booed like crazy in Boston and deservedly so. Agreed A-1 chump.

Loyalty in pro-sports? Since when?

...but you dont go to your rival! Theres 2 teams Allen couldnt go to and that NY and Miami...
The Lakers say hi.
Anyway, this talk of Miami being a special rival of the Celtics is silly; if Rose hadn't been injured the Bulls would've beaten the Celtics in round 2 & Boston would be rebuilding, not trying to reload. Boston has 3 rivals - Lakers, 76ers & Knicks.
The hurt feelings in Boston are because Ray took considerably less money to go to Miami & so it's perceived as a big f.u. to the Celtics. Whether he's ring-chasing or it's because of problems with Rondo or whatever doesn't matter. From a basketball p.o.v. this makes sense for Allen. His legs are cooked & he can't create his own shot. The Boston offense can't afford to have him come around screens for 20 seconds in an attempt to get open. Much better for him to be in Miami, camp out at the 3 point line & wait for a pass from a double-teamed LeBron.

Allen just wasn't very loyal, it's not about money. He along with KG/PP/RR turned the Celtics completely around, it would have been cool if they all retired Celtics. They aren't rivals, but they are the team that eliminated Boston 2 years in a row, and you could probably call LeBron the Celtics "rival".

Ring chasing is pathetic regardless.
Help me understand that. Ray is nearing the end of his great career in the NBA. What is wrong with him trying to find the opportunity to get a ring?

Help me understand that. Ray is nearing the end of his great career in the NBA. What is wrong with him trying to find the opportunity to get a ring?

Because some people don't like the Heat. So there you go.

Ill fully admit this is a great move for Ray Allen but as a Knick fan I obviously think hes a ring chasing chump. Boston fans would not be pissed if he left for LA. He just joined the biggest roadblock to their last gasp in the final years of KG and Pierce, in a team that is the same conference and will most likely be waiting for them every year in the playoffs if they advance far enough.

Boston fans would not be pissed if he left for LA.

Not sure I agree with this. But I guess we'd have to ask Boston fans.

It's funny that I don't think anyone called Nash a ring chasing chump when he went to the Lakers. You cou;ld just as easily say Allen is unselfish and just wants to be part of a winning team and is willing to give up money to do that, which is usually considered a good thing, but since he went to the Heat, of course he's a chump.

I find the whole thing funny; which doesn't make the first part of your statement wrong; he definitely went to Miami because he thought they have a great chance to win a title. And you've made it clear it's because ytou don't like Miami, which is fine, it's not like it's a true value judgment on the guy.

Because some people don't like the Heat. So there you go.

Knicks is kinda right. I don't hate the Heat, and if Ray went to the Lakers or OKC, I wouldn't think the same.

Since the Big 3 (plus Rondo) came to Boston, it's been them vs. LeBron; both in Cleveland and Miami. Boston beat LeBron twice to get to the Finals when he was with the Cavs; and then LeBron beat them twice to get to the Finals with Miami. It was as close to a rivalry as the Celtics and LeBron each have had, both in their dominant years. Then, Ray decides he'll go to Miami anyway; it's going to the dark side solely for the ring, he has no other history with the Heat or any of their players, he's taking less money, and still won't have a very big role.

If this was the Lakers, Spurs, OKC, Chicago, etc I'd have no problem with it. But it just seems like a pathetic cop out at this point, the ultimate "well I can't beat them, mine as well join em"

A-1 Chump. You don't go to the enemy. He isn't chasing the money. He's chasing the ring and basically telling his boys they aren't good enough. I hope he doesn't win another.
Yeah, not sure how i feel about ring chasing. It's one thing to do it in the NFL or MLB... the NBA is a different story

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom