Class of 2018 - RB Akeem Dixon (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 RB Akeem Dixon (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE

Why is no one posting in this thread. Hes our only rb recruit (assuming jj is a wait) and hasnt sent in nli. Did i miss somethig?
I've seen reports that both Dixon and J.Jordan are waiting until Feb. to sign. Can't speculate as to the reason why.

Time for aboard vaca to avoid the tin foil

I've seen reports that both Dixon and J.Jordan are waiting until Feb. to sign. Can't speculate as to the reason why.

This is what I have heard as well. Barring a major surprise it appears SU is done for the day.

Kids that don't commit should probably change their phone numbers now, or turn off the device until February.

Why

Perface by saying JJ was/is in my top 3 players I want to ink. He still might sign, and I’m not saying he’s not a potential loss, just that I’m not worried about the position.

I love Dixon’s power and where he plays, but his film doesn’t do anything for me and I dont know if he translates that well to the ACC. Personally I don’t like these big slow backs, I like short stout jitterbugs with burst and wiggle or the explosiveness of the Neal/JJ types. The Joe-El / Dixon types meh. I liked senior year Jerome Smith but I’d prefer Ray Rice, Brinkley, Mungro, even Ant Bailey. etc.

Why I’m not worried, We return all of our backs and Neal was just starting to come into his own. He’ll be a true junior and another year stronger. Markenzie Pierre will get a spring under his belt. Anyone writing him off is nuts. Then the fact that RB is the easiest position to recruit and to recruit a kid that can come in and play day1. Everyone returns and another month to see what shakes loose.

*I also think Lutz could be an outstanding back in this system if we need to give another kid a look. I just don’t think things are dire here. Would rather have not lost Charlton.

Last edited:
Perface by saying JJ was/is in my top 3 players I want to ink. He still might sign, and I’m not saying he’s not a potential loss, just that I’m not worried about the position.

I love Dixon’s power and where he plays, but his film doesn’t do anything for me and I dont know if he translates that well to the ACC. Personally I don’t like these big slow backs, I like short stout jitterbugs with burst and wiggle or the explosiveness of the Neal/JJ types. The Joe-El / Dixon types meh. I liked senior year Jerome Smith but I’d prefer Ray Rice, Brinkley, Mungro, even Ant Bailey. etc.

Why I’m not worried, We return all of our backs and Neal was just starting to come into his own. He’ll be a true junior and another year stronger. Markenzie Pierre will get a spring under his belt. Anyone writing him off is nuts. Then the fact that RB is the easiest position to recruit and to recruit a kid that can come in and play day1. Everyone returns and another month to see what shakes loose.

*I also think Lutz could be an outstanding back in this system if we need to give another kid a look. I just don’t think things are dire here. Would rather have not lost Charlton.

LOL!!! if it were so easy to recruit RB's we'd have some uberstuds on the roster ...we dont.
if it were so easy to come in and play day 1, last yrs guys would have.
my understanding is that the staff has put a truckload of work in to Pierre, hoping he'll pan out...and stritzinger did not look impressive at all.Neal looked good as the season went on.Perkins showed some promise, and Strickland did pretty well given what he had to work with.
i'm willing to bet dollars to donuts those rb recruits are looking for greener pastures.C'mon: a 4-8 team in the frozen north that hasnt been able to run the ball? would YOU see what else is out there?

I would definitely feel better if we had landed one of these RBs . . . . here is hoping we have an ace up our sleeve.

Agree RBs are not hard to find, but elite RBs that is a different kettle of fish. We need one of those or something close to it.
Up in the air on Markenzie. It was not good that he fumbled the ball early last year, and was never really seen again. He should have been red shirted in my opinion. Neal will have his moments but is not an every down kind of RB, blocking abilities very limited. Strickland again has moments and better blocker than Neal, but does not have elite speed or wiggle.
My opinion is we have a bunch of average college backs. The question is are they enough, and right now I do not think they are.

They're both still committed and will be signing in February. You shouldn't feel any different today as you felt last week about the RBs.
Thats my impression!

Thats my impression!
I just worry that there is a reason that they couldn’t sign, like grades, that won’t be resolved by February. So even if they sign, they may not make it to campus.

LOL!!! if it were so easy to recruit RB's we'd have some uberstuds on the roster ...we dont.
my understanding is that the staff has put a truckload of work in to Pierre, hoping he'll pan out...and stritzinger did not look impressive at all.Neal looked good as the season went on.Perkins showed some promise, and Strickland did pretty well given what he had to work with.
i'm willing to bet dollars to donuts those rb recruits are looking for greener pastures.C'mon: a 4-8 team in the frozen north that hasnt been able to run the ball? would YOU see what else is out there?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or what your deal is.

Agree RBs are not hard to find, but elite RBs that is a different kettle of fish. We need one of those or something close to it.
Up in the air on Markenzie. It was not good that he fumbled the ball early last year, and was never really seen again. He should have been red shirted in my opinion. Neal will have his moments but is not an every down kind of RB, blocking abilities very limited. Strickland again has moments and better blocker than Neal, but does not have elite speed or wiggle.
My opinion is we have a bunch of average college backs. The question is are they enough, and right now I do not think they are.

Historically we've had a lot of above average RB's roll through Syracuse, that's one reason why I say they're not hard to find. Elite RB's we've had a few of those two. Our down turn is because Shafer didn't recruit any good backs (well there was Jordan Fredericks who couldn't get with the program and quit). Dixon is not elite and JJ is too light to be considered an elite every down back at this point (at least in a powerI system). He'll flourish in our system but I don't see any real difference between him and Mo Neal. I haven't seen enough of Pierre to have an opinion.

I'd like to see us go find a 5-9 to 5-10, 200/205# type kid.

Last edited:
If you have decent oline play you can move the chains with just solid RBs. if you have issues on the oline then you need elite to have a running game. if you have good oline and elite then you hit home runs.

as the oline played better we ran the ball better down the stretch and thats even with the QB issues. We dont have the RBs to make something out of nothing and we dont get the extra yards but if they hold onto the ball and get the 3-5 that are there this offense can move the ball.

Does this northern wasteland play in the ACC atlantic? Would be much better if they were in a dome... how’s their coach? Good guy? I’ll keep looking around, see where the greatest running back of all time played.

Historically we've had a lot of above average RB's roll through Syracuse, that's one reason why I say they're not hard to find. Elite RB's we've had a few of those two. Our down turn is because Shafer didn't recruit any good backs (well there was Jordan Fredericks who couldn't get with the program and quit). Dixon is not elite and JJ is too light to be considered an elite every down back at this point (at least in a powerI system). He'll flourish in our system but I don't see any real difference between him and Mo Neal. I haven't seen enough of Pierre to have an opinion.

I'd like to see us go find a 5-9 to 5-10, 200/205# type kid.

I know we historically have had some excellent RBs, I saw all of them from Jim Brown on. Unfortunately none of them help us going forward. Lets hope we can get some more of those in the future. As always go Orange.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or what your deal is.
ima fan, and im just calling it like i see it. not gonna sugar coat it.
BTW these guys were Hart's recruits.He's gone.
maybe they arent so warm and fuzzy with the new guy, wouldnt be the 1st time.
who knows? maybe the kids legit cant sign due to grades.
i hope they get here.i was just pointing out the challenges the team
has recruiting warm weather rb's right now.Have a couple of winning seasons,
someone rushes for a 1000 yds, and things will probly get easier.

ima fan, and im just calling it like i see it. not gonna sugar coat it.
BTW these guys were Hart's recruits.He's gone.
maybe they arent so warm and fuzzy with the new guy, wouldnt be the 1st time.
who knows? maybe the kids legit cant sign due to grades.
i hope they get here.i was just pointing out the challenges the team
has recruiting warm weather rb's right now.Have a couple of winning seasons,
someone rushes for a 1000 yds, and things will probly get easier.

Mike Hart hired by Indiana 3/2/2017.

Akeem Dixon committed 5/17/2017
Jawhar Jordan committed 5/24/2017

So, how again are they Hart's recruits?

If you have decent oline play you can move the chains with just solid RBs. if you have issues on the oline then you need elite to have a running game. if you have good oline and elite then you hit home runs.

as the oline played better we ran the ball better down the stretch and thats even with the QB issues. We dont have the RBs to make something out of nothing and we dont get the extra yards but if they hold onto the ball and get the 3-5 that are there this offense can move the ball.

Generically what you say is true, but historically Syracuse has seldom had elite offensive lines, an occasional elite player on the line yes. The fact is our best running teams have been from good linemen that played well as a unit, and we had great running back with that line.
We are much less likely to assemble a whole unit of elite lineman than to get an elite running back, so I will hope for that.

Mike Hart hired by Indiana 3/2/2017.

Akeem Dixon committed 5/17/2017
Jawhar Jordan committed 5/24/2017

So, how again are they Hart's recruits?
Not taking sides here, but it's not as if we recruit kids for only 2 months and they commit. I mean, he was offered in January of 2016, shortly after Hart started here. I don't know if Hart was the lead recruiter on Dixon, but if he was, to dismiss out of hand Hart's involvement doesn't hold water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom