Class of 2019 - RB Garrison Johnson (TX) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19 | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 RB Garrison Johnson (TX) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19

we could make a living off have Jerome Smith type guys in this offense. we had so many plays the last 2 yrs where the RB lost the 1-1 battles in the holes and this guy hopefully is tougher to bring down.. Smith would have killed it in this offense. if you cant make people miss you have to be hard to bring down.
So is the hay in the Barn?

we could make a living off have Jerome Smith type guys in this offense. we had so many plays the last 2 yrs where the RB lost the 1-1 battles in the holes and this guy hopefully is tougher to bring down.. Smith would have killed it in this offense. if you cant make people miss you have to be hard to bring down.

No this offense needs a back who can make people miss. Travis Greene who played for Babers at Bowling Green is the benchmark.

No this offense needs a back who can make people miss. Travis Greene who played for Babers at Bowling Green is the benchmark.
Its both. They have base outside and inside zone plays but the majority of our run plays have power elements to it. They want to take advantage of the numbers they got with their skill but also be able to punch teams in the mouth with elmore and kleinberg. Not sure if a guy like Smith would be the featured back but he would have been capable of doing the same damage in this scheme. Remember Smith exelled after we switched to a spread pro scheme.

Its both. They have base outside and inside zone plays but the majority of our run plays have power elements to it. They want to take advantage of the numbers they got with their skill but also be able to punch teams in the mouth with elmore and kleinberg. Not sure if a guy like Smith would be the featured back but he would have been capable of doing the same damage in this scheme. Remember Smith exelled after we switched to a spread pro scheme.
I agree with this. In a perfect world, you have a power back who can beat people one and one and has elite speed to score when a play is blocked perfectly.

We aren’t Alabama or Clemson though, so we are going to need to make due with a power back and a speed back. Johnson is a better version of Elmore or Kleinberg. The upgrade process continues to go nicely.

I agree with this. In a perfect world, you have a power back who can beat people one and one and has elite speed to score when a play is blocked perfectly.

We aren’t Alabama or Clemson though, so we are going to need to make due with a power back and a speed back. Johnson is a better version of Elmore or Kleinberg. The upgrade process continues to go nicely.
I'm not comparing them to Johnson. Those two are blockers. Johnson is a true power runner. I can tell you Dino looks for that before anything else. Thats why we have recruited guys like Jo'el Shaw, Pierre, Dixon and Howard.

its great to have guys who can make people miss and run in space. But we also cause Ds to play light in the box and as strick showed at times, if you can run threw one tackle there will be space to make places.. We so often let the one guy in the box make the play it killed some potentially huge plays.

Look at Dillon for BC, he is a mix of both, but often its just he wins the 1-1 battle that leads to big runs.

its great to have guys who can make people miss and run in space. But we also cause Ds to play light in the box and as strick showed at times, if you can run threw one tackle there will be space to make places.. We so often let the one guy in the box make the play it killed some potentially huge plays.

Look at Dillon for BC, he is a mix of both, but often its just he wins the 1-1 battle that leads to big runs.
Excellent point. That strong runner can run through arm tackles inside the box. Especally when teams want to take their chances and use nickle corners that don't really want to tackle. That's just as valuable as a elusive guy making a defender miss.

Johnson is actually a running back. Elmore and Kleinberg are extra lineman.

Later signing so not as much convo here with all the signing day energy. Wanted to reiterate how excited I am having him in the class. His tape is great and I think he has serious potential in our system!
Welcome to the Orange GJ!

Well that's great news! I thought he was already all set.

Well that's great news! I thought he was already all set.

Although the kids receive a scholarship and sign an NLI their transcripts still have to be approved by the university academically.

I want a guy this size to be able to read holes and not get arm tackled as he plows through the holes. Speed is nice but with a guy of this size I'd love to have someone who can see a seem and get that 4 to 6 yards each crack and not just run into the backs of linemen. If Johnson can do this and block, count me thrilled.