Class of 2014 - RB Ish Witter (FL) Offered | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 RB Ish Witter (FL) Offered

At this point Jerome will be back next year. 27 carries and about 120 yards through 2 games isn't going to get him into the draft.

Agreed but at some point you have to start building depth. Say Jerome has a huge second half of the season and declares. That leaves you with Morris, Macfarland and AAM returning and at this point only adding Phillips who has pretty much stated he doesn't like running between the tackles. If there is an injury or two or an off the field issue you could be in huge trouble. Even if they bring in a project kid, Syracuse has to bring at least one more back this class.

I'm curious if we're looking at taking a ton of LB's this class and then moving one if a depth need arises at RB. We've already taken 4 LB's and from the chatter it sounds like we're looking at at least 2 other prospects.

That could apply to DE as well, a guy like Sykes comes to mind.

I'm curious if we're looking at taking a ton of LB's this class and then moving one if a depth need arises at RB. We've already taken 4 LB's and from the chatter it sounds like we're looking at at least 2 other prospects.

That could apply to DE as well, a guy like Sykes comes to mind.

I hear what your saying but I find that unlikely. In an emergency situation its more likely they would turn to someone like Howard.

LB's can grow into DE's or play the secondary as well. I like having good athletes you can do things with.

At this point Jerome will be back next year. 27 carries and about 120 yards through 2 games isn't going to get him into the draft.
Keep that thought Phat.When the offense begins o jell so will his productivity. Any interest will inspire an agent to see how much is involved and then he is off to a camp after the signing. If he comes back,great but if he doesn't the team must be ready. It will be with AAM supplying the inside power and Morris with the speed part, PTG will be back unless something unforeseen happens.Even Phillips might be moved over to the RB position from the slot as many believe he is destined to play. I'm not sold on that idea.

Agreed but at some point you have to start building depth. Say Jerome has a huge second half of the season and declares. That leaves you with Morris, Macfarland and AAM returning and at this point only adding Phillips who has pretty much stated he doesn't like running between the tackles. If there is an injury or two or an off the field issue you could be in huge trouble. Even if they bring in a project kid, Syracuse has to bring at least one more back this class.

totally agree, i would have liked to see them bring in 2 this class, but looks like it's only going to be 1 (not counting Phillips). Still 4 RB's is a little thin for that position. I'm sure if they absolutely had to they could move someone like Nas, but I am sure this isn't something they are considering. If someone was going to be getting game carries they would want them working with the rb's full time, including drills, meetings, film, playbook etc. A lot of people make it sound like it's a simple transition, but there is a reason these guys don't get recruited for that position in college. I know I sure wouldn't feel comfortable if that scenario ever happens. Hopefully we grab a stud RB, Mister would be ideal.

Here's my take on the situation. Ish and Erv were both up for the same spot. Ish was given preference, Erv was on hold pending his decision which I'm sure the staff gave a deadline for. Ish didn't decide, Erv was notified the schollie was up for grabs - he quickly commits. We were still pursuing Ollison up until a week ago so I'm sure there was a second RB schollie for a power back. Now that Ollison has decided to go elsewhere the staff is looking at other options - enter Tommy Mister. My guess it was one slot for a H Back/Scat Back and one slot for a power back and that does not look to have changed.

Here's my take on the situation. Ish and Erv were both up for the same spot. Ish was given preference, Erv was on hold pending his decision which I'm sure the staff gave a deadline for. Ish didn't decide, Erv was notified the schollie was up for grabs - he quickly commits. We were still pursuing Ollison up until a week ago so I'm sure there was a second RB schollie for a power back. Now that Ollison has decided to go elsewhere the staff is looking at other options - enter Tommy Mister. My guess it was one slot for a H Back/Scat Back and one slot for a power back and that does not look to have changed.
That makes sense...

yep agreed.

great post, makes total sense. Dawson is working on Tommy Mister, hopefully we can get him up for an official. Flipping an ISU commit seems do-able.

skimpy in the rb's stacked with wr's hopefully 3 or 4 of them pan out for us.
I we are skimpy anywhere it is the O-line. Get all the RB's you want, if you don't have a solid O-line, good luck.

1. Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 5m
    Offensive coordinator George McDonald visited Steve Ishmael's school, North Miami Beach, on Monday.
  2. Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 6m
    Per his high school coach, wide receiver Steve Ishmael (big-time SU target) is leading Dade County in Florida with 32 receptions and 7 TDs.

I like this kid, my kind of player and another Marvin Harrison in the making?!!??
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-top-10-nfl-wide-receivers-of-all-time/page/8

I we are skimpy anywhere it is the O-line. Get all the RB's you want, if you don't have a solid O-line, good luck.

We are not that Skimpy on the O-Line. Below there are the 14 scholarship linemen on the roster. We lose Macky and more than likely Hickey next year. We really only need 3-4 linemen in this class to be either 2-3 deep at every position on the line. Alabama has 17 OL's on the roster including walk-ons. Do we need 18 out of 85 scholarships on the roster for the OL, how about another 18 on the DL? That leaves very little for the remaining positions.

Starters are:
Hickey
Trudo
McPherson
Robinson
Foy

Scholarship Back-ups:
Miller
Lasker
Knapp
Emerich
McGloster
Hayes
Moore ?
Burton
Palmer

We are not that Skimpy on the O-Line. Below there are the 14 scholarship linemen on the roster. We lose Macky and more than likely Hickey next year. We really only need 3-4 linemen in this class to be either 2-3 deep at every position on the line. Alabama has 17 OL's on the roster including walk-ons. Do we need 18 out of 85 scholarships on the roster for the OL, how about another 18 on the DL? That leaves very little for the remaining positions.

Starters are:
Hickey
Trudo
McPherson
Robinson
Foy

Scholarship Back-ups:
Miller
Lasker
Knapp
Emerich
McGloster
Hayes
Moore ?
Burton
Palmer

I've always pegged 15 as the bench mark. I also fully expect Hickey to return next year.

I've always pegged 15 as the bench mark. I also fully expect Hickey to return next year.

I wouldn't put it past Hickey to leave early. He will already have graduated, has dealt with injury issues so he knows just how easy they can happen, and most importantly he will blow the combine away. I thought I read that he would have tested at or near the top in bench press, 40 time, and vertical, not counting all the other agility drills. It will come down to what he hears back from the NFL as to where he is projected imo

I wouldn't put it past Hickey to leave early. He will already have graduated, has dealt with injury issues so he knows just how easy they can happen, and most importantly he will blow the combine away. I thought I read that he would have tested at or near the top in bench press, 40 time, and vertical, not counting all the other agility drills. It will come down to what he hears back from the NFL as to where he is projected imo

Guessing he is projected high 2nd to third round...just a guess.

My opinion only, but he isn't a talent on the magnitude of Pugh. If we finish out the season and have success / reach a bowl, I'd be stunned if he doesn't return.

I'd project him more as a 5th round + prospect.

I agree with your analysis, at least 2-3 OL this class if not up to 4. But to date, we have a big goose egg and only 1 or 2 possibles. I don't have a good feeling about Roberts, may be wrong, but I think he and Witters are using us as a fail safe until another school comes along. I would like to have both, but something isn't right there. I feel like there is a surprise coming our way at RB. Can't tell you what it is, like someone who can feel the rain storm coming before there is a cloud in the sky. The OL to me is the big question, I want Mavety. Bring him in, we are cooking with gas I say.

Hickey hasn't done anything on the field this season to make me think he's an early departure.

I think he's a late rounder at this point unless he has a great combine showing.