RB Jarveon Howard transferring to Alcorn St | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RB Jarveon Howard transferring to Alcorn St

There should be enough carries for Tucker plus Adams and Howard.
Especially with no solid option at QB.

Tucker is going to be just a skeleton and bruises by the end of the season.

We also can’t forget that Howard is likely still in the doghouse for last season.

You can say what you want about it being Covid and everyone has their own reasons and I understand that.

Not so sure Dino was as sympathetic about Adams and Howard opting out and saying that they were going to focus on entering into the draft last year…
I agree about the opt out, but didn’t the draft stuff come from our short friend who used to cover us for the athletic? I feel like he put that out there, not the kids. Maybe I am misremembering

Seems like strange timing. There must be more to it than just lack of PT.

If he finds a school early enough he could enroll and start up winter semester? Get into offseason program at school similar to January enrollees perhaps?

It will be interesting to see where he ends up since he essentially hasn't played football in two seasons.

One more injury and i'd guess Pena starts taking some practice reps at RB. I'd guess he may be next in line. He'd be a solid fill in there. Probably have to add another one in the 2022 class now.

I understand why he is leaving and non-athletes transfer all the time. The problem that I have is when a player bails on his team in mid-season. After the season? No problem. But when they bail during the season it reflects on their commitment to their teammates and supposed friends and just seems wrong.

Jarveon is hardly the only one. Lots of teams have guys who are entering the portal right now.

I understand why he is leaving and non-athletes transfer all the time. The problem that I have is when a player bails on his team in mid-season. After the season? No problem. But when they bail during the season it reflects on their commitment to their teammates and supposed friends and just seems wrong.

Jarveon is hardly the only one. Lots of teams have guys who are entering the portal right now.

The only way it stops is if it other coaches view it as a character flaw and stay away.

Doubt that will ever happen. Every coach hates it when a guy leaves the team midseason, but every coach will take advantage of available talent whenever they can.

But does he want to risk a whole other year of eligibility to maybe get to play in games this year?

I'm not faulting him for the decision, I'm just saying that injuries are so commonplace in football that it seems more likely than not that he'd be seeing significant action at some point this year. Yeah, I guess that's not enough in his eyes to stick around and possibly waste a year of eligibility for something that isn't 100% guaranteed.

I think about his reaction to not getting the ball on the goal line against Albany. Have to think that simmered over the week with Babers

From last week's Dino Babers Show:

I called in my second question. Dino: “Both Jarveon, who I would have loved to see get the TD because he took us down there, and Garrett could have scored. The quarterback isn’t looking at the hole the running back has in front of him or how far he has to go. He’s keying on a defender on a zone read. Jarveon could have wrapped his hands over that and demanded the ball but he’s very unselfish, as both the quarterback and running back have to be. That’s only the second time I’ve seen someone do that and I won’t discuss the other time.”

I personally like Adams better but they’re both pretty talented. The move Adams had against Liberty someone should check and make sure the defenders ankles aren’t still there before the next game. It was Barry sanders like. I’ve like Adams since he got here, to me he’s the different style runner to tucker than Howard is.

Portal thing is a tough one overall. If it weren’t for the fact that quite a few years ago there were a bunch of years in a row of coaches completely screwing programs leaving at terrible times. Not that there’s a good time to leave per say. But we can’t expect the 18-22 yr old kids to stick with a program when it’s not in their best interest (assuming it isn’t) yet let coaches get away with it. Our own coach is guilty of this. So I have a hard time getting mad about a kid who has limited time in their career trying to make the most of it, while their coaches will screw the team in 2 seconds. Throw in most of the fans will argue sticking with their team, blah blah while they’re on the computer looking for a new job.

Another not really the whole truth by Babers. He spoke of LaBrosse after he left the program even mentioning that Syracuse mailed him a game ball for the Ohio game. I suspect his not wanting to mention him has something to do with last years opt out and this years lack of playing time. Only outcome out of this is that the depth in the running back room just took a hit.

Disappointing to loose Howard but rb and qb are two positions we just have to load up on with todays "portal" situation and expected injuries.

Couple thoughts

1- I think Howard is extremely talented.

2- I’m not surprised. And I’m not entirely bummed out after that display last week on the TD by GS. It reeked of “me” football, worried about his stats when we scored on the play.

3- After sitting out last year because of COVID (which was his right) and the display last Saturday, I think he was buried in the doghouse. He wasn’t going to get out anytime soon.

4- It says a lot about him that he is leaving now instead of riding the year out. I get he may want to redshirt but maybe discuss with the coaches? That way he can still work out, practice with the team (scout team), and maybe work hard and get a recommendation from the staff. Now he has played 5 snaps in the past 2 years? Who is going to offer him now? He absolutely has talent but he hasn’t played meaningful snaps in over 2 years, a guy that quit on the team because things got tough. Not really someone that I think is going to get a lot of looks in the transfer market.

5- I have no ill will, wish him the best.

In his postgame presser Dino alluded to a rule change he is hoping for. I suspect it’s a rule that players can’t enter the portal until after the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom