Class of 2019 - RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

I attended a very well regarded CNY highschool and knew many kids who struggled in Earth Science. Many of these kids went on to graduate 4 year colleges and universities.

Theres too many things that can cause difficulty to say “wow I thought that was an easy course”.

The instructor could be below par or unenthusiastic. The kid may just have a loose grasp on science. Maybe something else was going on.

Many different potential circumstances other than maybe he didnt try etc.
What am earth science?

At JD, the textbook that we used, and that the Regents was based on, was written by my Earth Science teacher. 20 years after I took it, he married my mom. Do you know how weird it is visiting your mom's house and seeing your old earth science teacher there?! Good thing I did well in his class.

At JD, the textbook that we used, and that the Regents was based on, was written by my Earth Science teacher. 20 years after I took it, he married my mom. Do you know how weird it is visiting your mom's house and seeing your old earth science teacher there?! Good thing I did well in his class.

There would be something about that id be unhappy about.

Namowitz and Stone?

Gives a whole new meaning to “Pop Quiz.”

Didn't they make a movie about this story. ;)

She realized your grade was permanent at that point, right?;)

I took earth science as a senior, I didn’t do well in the class as a freshman and had room to do so as a senior.
My Earth Science teacher was Syracuse legend Manny Breland. He was a great teacher.

I attended a very well regarded CNY highschool and knew many kids who struggled in Earth Science. Many of these kids went on to graduate 4 year colleges and universities.

Theres too many things that can cause difficulty to say “wow I thought that was an easy course”.

The instructor could be below par or unenthusiastic. The kid may just have a loose grasp on science. Maybe something else was going on.

Many different potential circumstances other than maybe he didnt try etc.
FM is only well regarded by people who live in FM.

Maybe, that’s why you did well in his course.

YOU ASKED FOR IT...

Abstract
The conventional view of Earth's inner core is that it began to crystallize at Earth's center when the temperature dropped below the melting point of the iron alloy and has grown steadily since that time as the core continued to cool. However, this model neglects the energy barrier to the formation of the first stable crystal nucleus, which is commonly represented in terms of the critical supercooling required to overcome the barrier. Using constraints from experiments, simulations, and theory, we show that spontaneous crystallization in a homogeneous liquid iron alloy at Earth's core pressures requires a critical supercooling of order 1000 K, which is too large to be a plausible mechanism for the origin of Earth's inner core. We consider mechanisms that can lower the nucleation barrier substantially. Each has caveats, yet the inner core exists: this is the nucleation paradox. Heterogeneous nucleation on a solid metallic substrate tends to have a low energy barrier and offers the most straightforward solution to the paradox, but solid metal would probably have to be delivered from the mantle and such events are unlikely to have been common. A delay in nucleation, whether due to a substantial nucleation energy barrier, or late introduction of a low energy substrate, would lead to an initial phase of rapid inner core growth from a supercooled state. Such rapid growth may lead to distinctive crystallization texturing that might be observable seismically. It would also generate a spike in chemical and thermal buoyancy that could affect the geomagnetic field significantly. Solid metal introduced to Earth's center before it reached saturation could also provide a nucleation substrate, if large enough to escape complete dissolution. Inner core growth, in this case, could begin earlier and start more slowly than standard thermal models predict.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0012821X18300360