Class of 2021 - RB Josh Hough ( MR PA FOOTBALL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 RB Josh Hough ( MR PA FOOTBALL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

Well spoken young man. Tossing the credit to his OL, FB and backfield mate. Jason should be proud.

hopefully he runs buckwild in the next couple games and wins a title and sets that school record for rushing yards while he’s at it

The last time people had that worry on the basketball side JG3 averaged 12, 3, and 3 as a freshman :p

Girard played in class B and with the albany city rocks. Mike Hart AND Latavious Murray played class D. I’d guess their grad class was in the 80’s. No better example than Hart for sure.

Girard played in class B and with the albany city rocks. Mike Hart AND Latavious Murray played class D. I’d guess their grad class was in the 80’s. No better example than Hart for sure.
I went to a class D school. We routinely graduate in the 50s. One of my classmates went to SU for football. It was a huge deal. Penn St wanted him too. Joe Pa came to town and was at his house.

First, I love Josh. He brings some things to the table for Syracuse that we currently do not have (and haven’t for a long time), but as much as I like his size, speed, vision and toughness, i like his humility, his team attitude and his modesty. I think he is a great leader for Beaver Falls, as he will be down the road for Syracuse.

On a more macro level, I think it should be clear to everyone that playing football in the ACC is fundamentally different than playing football in a northeast dominated football league. There is so much talent south of the Mason-Dixon Line that the schools down there have a built in huge advantage over us. Even schools like Duke and Wake Forest that don’t have great facilities or tradition, have dozens of excellent P5 level prospects nearby that would love to play for them. Worse still, the talent disparity in prime recruiting areas relatively close to campuses are getting bigger with each year. States like Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida keep getting better each year, while the areas surrounding our campus appear to be getting worse at producing talent.

The problem isn’t so bad at Pitt given that are in the heart of the most fertile area for HS recruiting in the northeast. And even BC has some advantages over SU recruiting catholic high schools.

So it is likely we are going to be less talented than most other ACC programs most years. We don’t need to accept this and maybe some day that will change. But it is something I think we need to consider when formulating how to turn the program around.

While we probably aren’t going to be more talented than most other ACC programs most of the time, we can be tougher than them. Maybe stronger as well. We need junkyard dogs out there; players who are super competitive and willing to work really hard to get better during their 5 years on campus. Like guys like Eric Dungey or Chris Slayton.

The other area we can look to level the playing field is experience. We need one of the best programs in the country at retaining our players, so every season, we have at least 4 or 5 seniors and 4 or 5 juniors starting on offense and defense. I laid out UB’s starting lineup a week or two ago. That is what a program with a little less talent can do to help offset their relative lack of talent. We need to look at traits like loyalty long and hard when deciding who we should offer. With the new rules making transferring easier than ever, this is more important than ever.

The staff needs to get really good at identifying the right kinds of kids to bring into the program. Maybe we need to focus more on where the players will be in 2 or 3 years than where they are now. If this staff is to be successful, they need to excel at this.

Why am I rambling on about this in a thread on Josh Hough? Because I think he is precisely the kind of player we should be targeting. He has the high ceiling, the work ethic, the toughness and (from everything I have read) the loyalty this program needs. I see him as a future captain. I see him helping establish a new identity for the team, bringing an old school toughness and competitive nature we desperately need.

I can’t wait to see him in orange. Thrilled to read he is going to be an early enrollee.

First, I love Josh. He brings some things to the table for Syracuse that we currently do not have (and haven’t for a long time), but as much as I like his size, speed, vision and toughness, i like his humility, his team attitude and his modesty. I think he is a great leader for Beaver Falls, as he will be down the road for Syracuse.

On a more macro level, I think it should be clear to everyone that playing football in the ACC is fundamentally different than playing football in a northeast dominated football league. There is so much talent south of the Mason-Dixon Line that the schools down there have a built in huge advantage over us. Even schools like Duke and Wake Forest that don’t have great facilities or tradition, have dozens of excellent P5 level prospects nearby that would love to play for them. Worse still, the talent disparity in prime recruiting areas relatively close to campuses are getting bigger with each year. States like Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida keep getting better each year, while the areas surrounding our campus appear to be getting worse at producing talent.

The problem isn’t so bad at Pitt given that are in the heart of the most fertile area for HS recruiting in the northeast. And even BC has some advantages over SU recruiting catholic high schools.

So it is likely we are going to be less talented than most other ACC programs most years. We don’t need to accept this and maybe some day that will change. But it is something I think we need to consider when formulating how to turn the program around.

While we probably aren’t going to be more talented than most other ACC programs most of the time, we can be tougher than them. Maybe stronger as well. We need junkyard dogs out there; players who are super competitive and willing to work really hard to get better during their 5 years on campus. Like guys like Eric Dungey or Chris Slayton.

The other area we can look to level the playing field is experience. We need one of the best programs in the country at retaining our players, so every season, we have at least 4 or 5 seniors and 4 or 5 juniors starting on offense and defense. I laid out UB’s starting lineup a week or two ago. That is what a program with a little less talent can do to help offset their relative lack of talent. We need to look at traits like loyalty long and hard when deciding who we should offer. With the new rules making transferring easier than ever, this is more important than ever.

The staff needs to get really good at identifying the right kinds of kids to bring into the program. Maybe we need to focus more on where the players will be in 2 or 3 years than where they are now. If this staff is to be successful, they need to excel at this.

Why am I rambling on about this in a thread on Josh Hough? Because I think he is precisely the kind of player we should be targeting. He has the high ceiling, the work ethic, the toughness and (from everything I have read) the loyalty this program needs. I see him as a future captain. I see him helping establish a new identity for the team, bringing an old school toughness and competitive nature we desperately need.

I can’t wait to see him in orange. Thrilled to read he is going to be an early enrollee.

Hough 100% will be a captain for Syracuse when all is said and done.

I find this entirely agreeable

I went to a class D school. We routinely graduate in the 50s. One of my classmates went to SU for football. It was a huge deal. Penn St wanted him too. Joe Pa came to town and was at his house.

I know class D schools in the same OCS league back in the 80s early 90s we’re around 80, but likely 60-90 range. I think now though 50s is more common. Tully and Lafayette had their own football teams back then now those schools all have to combine. Crazy. OCS has an enrollment of 429 in grades 7-12.

That all makes good sense, however you left out our game weather advantage over essentially everybody. A game in the Dome is always played in ideal weather!

70EB06EA-BA95-44D3-ADAD-CA40814D8789.jpeg

I want to recruit kids like Josh and pair that with a really innovative way to mine the transfer market.

Kids like Josh in the NE, and bulldogs like Khalil Mack from Florida. The under recruited, Talent and grit is out there for the taking. That, in my opinion, is how we compete with Louisville, NCSU, FSU and Pitt every year. We will never compete quality wise with Clemson, but a veteran laden angry Orange team will give the Tigers issues.

I’ve told this story numerous times but there was not a morning my sophomore year during the offseason where I didn’t see Brandon Oliver and Khalil Mack running hills and sleds on north campus. He wasn’t born or made in HS, that kid wanted it more than anyone in the nation.

See Beaver Falls have climbed to 19th in the state rankings, not sure the program history but Josh and Co should be proud to finally start getting the recognition.

Will public be able to attend games in Hershey? I'd love to see Josh play first hand and obviously not sure what attendance rules will look like next year in the dome.

My only concern is the jump from Pennsylvania 2A to ACC next year. It may be the biggest delta of any recruit in the nation...
Bishop McDevitt sends kids to P5 schools, it's no unheard of PA kids from 2A making the jump.
Also I believe Beaver Falls just dropped down to 2A so Josh has some experience against bigger teams.

See Beaver Falls have climbed to 19th in the state rankings, not sure the program history but Josh and Co should be proud to finally start getting the recognition.

Will public be able to attend games in Hershey? I'd love to see Josh play first hand and obviously not sure what attendance rules will look like next year in the dome.

they were probably pretty good when Joe Namath was their qb

Bishop McDevitt sends kids to P5 schools, it's no unheard of PA kids from 2A making the jump.
Also I believe Beaver Falls just dropped down to 2A so Josh has some experience against bigger teams.
That is correct!