Class of 2025 - RB Malachi Coleman (VA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/3/24) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 RB Malachi Coleman (VA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/3/24)

I reached out to the recruiting staff about this kid. Out of curiosity about the current state of the team, I just happened to google my old HS football team in Virginia (William Fleming) and stumbled across some highlights of this very talented Junior RB named Malachi Coleman.

I live in NY now so I don't know the kid or have any connections to the school. But I linked Malachi's HUDL highlights in an email and sent to them to the staff. They never replied so I obviously can't say whether they even read the email. But regardless, I'm sure glad they offered the kid. He can flat out fly - there are literally clips on his reel where he's moving so fast, he looks like a blur. Hope we can reel the young man in - D1 size, great grades, super fast; seems like a fit to me.
I did a similar thing with the 6'8 380 pound oline man from Texas...I tagged Fran and Cuse Football on Instagram in late January. Who knows...

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

I like that we’re working the NE (as we should be). Then we have two random commits from TX (which I’m not complaining about and ERob was just coaching at A&M, so okay), then this under the radar kid from…Virginia?

There’s some high 3* that have committed so far but a lot of under the radar kids too. You’d expect more “splash” commits like we saw at the end of last year but it is early. Makes me wonder about strategy. I wish I could have lunch with Fran and ask him a bunch of questions. I feel like I see what he’s trying to do, I wonder if I’m right. Either way, it’s interesting.

Building a core team with size and strength in trenches and speeeeeed everywhere else as a base and then supplementing with elite talent transfers to fill whatever roster holes exist perhaps?

I like that we’re working the NE (as we should be). Then we have two random commits from TX (which I’m not complaining about and ERob was just coaching at A&M, so okay), then this under the radar kid from…Virginia?

There’s some high 3* that have committed so far but a lot of under the radar kids too. You’d expect more “splash” commits like we saw at the end of last year but it is early. Makes me wonder about strategy. I wish I could have lunch with Fran and ask him a bunch of questions. I feel like I see what he’s trying to do, I wonder if I’m right. Either way, it’s interesting.
It’s like Fran said on the Andy Staples podcast I think. Half the class will be raw projections and then he’ll find his blue chips. When Watkins, Galloway, Brown, Charles and Exinor commit, it’ll all come together.

I did a similar thing with the 6'8 380 pound oline man from Texas...I tagged Fran and Cuse Football on Instagram in late January. Who knows...
I am sure it didn’t hurt, but from .Com today:

“Washington said his offer from the Orange came from Fran Brown’s staff around the time he took over the program, which would have been right about when the photo went viral.
As Washington tells it, one of Brown’s two sons became aware of him, showed his dad and Brown told edge coach Nick Williams, “We need to offer this kid.”

So this is kind of a weird class, thought after the flurry of big names at the end of last class this would be stacked with 4 stars. It's not (yet) but the speed is insane. This kid ran a 6.24 second 55 meter hurdle. The NYS High School all time record is 6.31 seconds. That means as a junior he's already crushed the New York State high School all time record. This kid is FREAKISHLY fast. Like would be one of the fastest guys in the NFL fast.
Just for clarity, 55 meters not 55m hurdle.

I am sure it didn’t hurt, but from .Com today:

“Washington said his offer from the Orange came from Fran Brown’s staff around the time he took over the program, which would have been right about when the photo went viral.
As Washington tells it, one of Brown’s two sons became aware of him, showed his dad and Brown told edge coach Nick Williams, “We need to offer this kid.”

Sounds better coming from his sons than anonymous drunkard on Instagram...

Last edited:
It’s like Fran said on the Andy Staples podcast I think. Half the class will be raw projections and then he’ll find his blue chips. When Watkins, Galloway, Brown, Charles and Exinor commit, it’ll all come together.
Don't forget: M.Thomas and T. Jackson

The “splash“ guys really need to be worked ;)

Welp, if you’re a big enough donor you can definitely have that lunch with Fran and JW will likely join too. At least so I hear from the alum who got it like that

Seems like it. I wonder if some of these “raw projections” they took (in part) on local coaches recommendations to build/establish relationships. I only say this because the turn around finding/evaluating/recruiting/offering some of these under the radar NE guys seems quick/impressive. The staff did not hesitate pulling the trigger on these guys. I mean obviously they have a certain player profile and I’m sure Fran and Co. have had their finger on the pulse but just thinking out loud.

I also wonder if taking these guys early helps create momentum and excitement for the class and potential recruits (“look at us! Everyone’s trying to come here”) which they then use as leverage to land more “blue chip” players. Because frankly, some of these guys don’t scream “Get these guys committed early!!!” Some of these “raw athletes” seem like the kind of guys you take fliers on later, after you miss on bigger targets… but the opposite approach seems genius. Plus, if the staff likes them, why wait?

Class fills up quick = buzz/excitement created = Limited space = FOMO = better hop in buddy!

Seems like it. I wonder if some of these “raw projections” they took (in part) on local coaches recommendations to build/establish relationships. I only say this because the turn around finding/evaluating/recruiting/offering some of these under the radar NE guys seems quick/impressive. The staff did not hesitate pulling the trigger on these guys. I mean obviously they have a certain player profile and I’m sure Fran and Co. have had their finger on the pulse but just thinking out loud.

I also wonder if taking these guys early helps create momentum and excitement for the class and potential recruits (“look at us! Everyone’s trying to come here”) which they then use as leverage to land more “blue chip” players. Because frankly, some of these guys don’t scream “Get these guys committed early!!!” Some of these “raw athletes” seem like the kind of guys you take fliers on later, after you miss on bigger targets… but the opposite approach seems genius. Plus, if the staff likes them, why wait?

Class fills up quick = buzz/excitement created = Limited space = FOMO = better hop in buddy!
Fran and his staff have a plan..these "raw" recruits are elite athletes who are under the radar. Even though they don't have X Number of stars they are all highly rated " All state, all conference, allleague..." where they play. These are the kids that end up playing for the Appalachian State, JMU, NDSU schools.
Speed, Size, Strength is the common thread.

I was really expecting SPASH Recruits especially after the last cycle.. I am starting to get the old feeling from recruits past with little to no big offers.. maybe I am being unreasonable but I hope to be proven wrong!

I was really expecting SPASH Recruits especially after the last cycle.. I am starting to get the old feeling from recruits past with little to no big offers.. maybe I am being unreasonable but I hope to be proven wrong!

You’re looking at it in a vacuum. You’re looking at one criteria. We have one of the best recruiting coaching staffs in the entire country. Someone has to offer really good players first. These guys didn’t become accomplished recruiters by not being able to identify talent.

You’re looking at it in a vacuum. You’re looking at one criteria. We have one of the best recruiting coaching staffs in the entire country. Someone has to offer really good players first. These guys didn’t become accomplished recruiters by not being able to identify talent.
I fully get it. I just wanna be spoiled thats all.

Here’s the thing, you aren’t stuck with misses anymore. be honest with the player, worst case if he can’t cut it he is done with football and gets a full ride at SU , If he loves football that much he can always transfer.

I fully get it. I just wanna be spoiled thats all.

I get that. But I think these guys that are not highly rated yet, eventually will be. We’re not used to getting some of these early recruits. There’s a lot of time before they eventually end up on campus. Attention on them will increase now that they’ve committed to SU.

The hard part is the money. We just dont have the coinfor all top kids. We need our studs but all these cats are either hugeor fast as hell so i am hoping we save the last 12 or so for the big dogs. In this context, i think we are always gonna be a15-20 ranked team in recruiting instead of 5-10 ya know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom